The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine here today and there is a light breeze so it's quite pleasant at the moment.  Cloud thickening later may bring a few outbreaks of rain.  14°C rosing to 22°C.

Steve's visit yesterday was most helpful and we've he has reclaimed about 40Gb of space on my laptop.  Various questions were raised about "How on earth or why on earth did you do this?"  My reply on each occasion was it couldn't possibly have been me, it must be the little gremlin that lives beneath the keyboard!  He wasn't convinced.  Although he found one large file containing duplicate photos I've still got loads to clear which seem to pop up here , there and everywhere.  (It's that gremlin again)  He has also  helped me find a new DVD player which I will be able to collect from our local Post Office this afternoon. 

One problem still remains as we were unable to download the Peugeot SatNav update for my car after multiple attempts. .  Reading online I am not alone but have decided not to bother and if I need to find my way somewhere I can run Waze from my phone to the car SatNav screen.

I avoided the football apart from hearing the occasional groans and odd cheer from a couple of neighbouring houses. I did manage to watch some of the T de F and will continue to do so.  Anyone for tennis?  Not me.

The Boss is hovering so it's timetogettamoveon.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Alas the tattoo thing reached Asia. Visible tattoos are a no-no in Japan and Korea, and China has decided they should be discouraged but in SE Asia they're everywhere. And as with the western world what used to be called 'extreme' tattoos on faces, neck etc are increasingly common.

Even when they look quite impressive (and I quite often see Japanese style tattoo's which are pretty striking) you know in a few years they'll be a blue smudgey mess.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Many years ago I knew a young lady who had her boyfriends name tattooed on her arm, two weeks later he dumped her, on her eighteenth birthday! She then had it altered to "Russell D***** is an @$$H%!£.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I got up fairly early and have done my usual Monday jobs.  In a few minutes I will go outside and cut down the lavenders which are still showing no real signs of new growth. 

Amanda should arrive to do thecleaning about coffee time, by the time she finishes the forecast says it will be raining so I think it will be an afternoon of photographics things or modelling while keeping an eye on the Tour de France.

I too notice the number of tattoos, I wonder if they will still be as proud of them when they get to their mid 70s?  I can remember when I was teaching pupils would try to persuade me to have a tattoo and would make suggestions of "suitable" designs.  To me tattoos are for sailors, army personnel etc.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 15
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Not just that, but we're exactly half-way through the year, 183 days gone, 183 to go.  If you think the year has passed quickly so far, then we'll soon be celebrating 2025!

Though thanks to the Summer-Of-Sport, its going to drag a bit until the end of August...

That will be due to the 'footie lag' I suppose slowing the earths rotation and causing time to take longer.

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a fan of tattoos or multiple piercings and find facial tattoos particularly abhorrent.  I remember a few years ago that a young lady and a lad  who worked in a local store were Goths and were smothered in black ink all over.  Looked bloody horrible and the girl was really pretty but it absolutely ruined her looks.  Both granddaughters have a couple of very small discreet tattoos of flowers and have assured Grandad that they would not do anything stupid. They've also got ears pierced which is fine and a tiny nasal stud which again I'm not that fond of but at least they're small.  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold

Waiting for new front boots to be fitted to Yeti.

There was a bit of a queue of cars in front of me at the garage, and I was told that it would take 80 minutes before the car would be ready for me to collect (and pay for the tyres...).  So I've popped into the library, and I'm using 60 minutes of free computer time to occupy myself.  At least its warm and dry in here!

The only problem is that I've got a computer with a rubber keyboard and mouse, which feels most odd...

The other thing is I tried using RMweb without logging in, but quickly logged in after encountering the adverts.  🤪

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

I too notice the number of tattoos, I wonder if they will still be as proud of them when they get to their mid 70s?  I can remember when I was teaching pupils would try to persuade me to have a tattoo and would make suggestions of "suitable" designs.  To me tattoos are for sailors, army personnel etc.

David

Bear would never have a Tattoo (the fur gets in the way for a start); judging by the state of some of the people (and places) doing Tattoos I’m less than convinced about their sterile environment, equipment and proceedures.

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear would never have a Tattoo (the fur gets in the way for a start); judging by the state of some of the people (and places) doing Tattoos I’m less than convinced about their sterile environment, equipment and proceedures.

You mean minor, trivial, things such as 

• HIV
  • Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis C

(the three biggies)

Not to mention

• Varicella zoster virus infection
  • Epstein-Barr virus infection
  • Syphilis
  • Various bacteria that can lead to sepsis

An added “delight” is a contaminated needle is unlikely to only carry one transmittable contaminant…

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You mean minor, trivial, things such as 

• HIV
  • Hepatitis B
  • Hepatitis C

(the three biggies)

Not to mention

• Varicella zoster virus infection
  • Epstein-Barr virus infection
  • Syphilis
  • Various bacteria that can lead to sepsis

An added “delight” is a contaminated needle is unlikely to only carry one transmittable contaminant…

Bear was merely rolling the whole lot into “The Dreaded, Dreaded Lurgy”

• Like 14

The only time anything like a tattoo has been anywhere near me is when a radiographer gave be five dots across my pelvis and lower abdomen as aligning dots for radiotherapy - that was in October 2013.

I was told a story at the time that a lady had received similar target dots, but in a different place, for treatment of breast cancer. She was most put out at the appearance of these and immediately went out and got pretty little butterflies tattooed over them.

The radiologist was not amused at all!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, BoD said:

I went to the opticians this morning for my two yearly test.  Only a very slight change to the prescription.  Afterwards I was trying new frames but I couldn’t really find one that I liked or that I felt suited me.  Valerie agreed.  Finally I found a pair that we both agreed looked good*.  They were identical to the pair I had gone in with.  Well, we thought, that must be telling me something so I went ahead with that pair.

* as good as you are going to get on me, anyway.

Did they not offer you the option of reglazing your existing frames? Mine did, but I said I was happy to keep the old ones as an acceptable spare. The new ones are same make, the lens is the same shape, only the colour of the bit behind the ears is different. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Did they not offer you the option of reglazing your existing frames? Mine did, but I said I was happy to keep the old ones as an acceptable spare. The new ones are same make, the lens is the same shape, only the colour of the bit behind the ears is different. 

I was at the high street opticians that I ‘should have gone to’.  I wanted a pair of sunglasses too, which are ‘free’ when you buy your first pair.  Given that the lenses in both are variafocal it would have worked out more expensive to use the old frames for new lenses and then buy the sunglasses (which would have entitled me to a free, third, pair).

Given that the change in prescription is very slight I have, as you say, a spare pair too.

I used this ‘high street’ opticians when my local private one closed.  I was wary at first but find them very thorough now, in fact I am grateful to them for spotting my raised eye pressure and referring me to the local eye infirmary when my ‘troubles’ first started.  I am guessing that all opticians now are the equivalent of a GP for eyes and act as a gateway to the rest of the NHS.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Back home from having the front end of Yeti reshod, wallet much lighter...  Then a spot of light shopping and now a ham butty and a satsuma while watching crims having their collars felt by the motorplod.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A'noon.

Took a walk, well more of a hobble, to Asda earlier to get some milk.  The Hip did not like it.  Met Russ from next door and daughter Jess en route but only had a very brief chat as they were on their way to Wimbledon to watch some tennis, rather them than me but we can't all like the same sports.

After lunch I hobbled to the next road to water a friend's garden and their multitude of pots...I stopped counting at forty! 

Quick check on Flight Radar tells me that grandkids etc are over half way from Bangkok to KL.  Flight from KL to LHR due to leave at 16.30 BST and due back at 05.55 tomorrow.  That's another "rather them than me."

I'm taking the occasional look at the T de F but it's a long stage today.  I'll be more interested in the finish to see if "Cav" can possibly break the record for most stage wins. It's a big ask but I really hope he can do it.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Barry O said:

What??????

Had to buy extra slim shirts.. lummy Baz is wasting  away

I will be glad to get back to regular fit shirts. I think I am comfort or relaxed fit at present. Heading the right way now though I think. 

Tony

• Like 18