The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

FAKE PIES

Pies that pretend to be pies, but in reality are nothing but a pretentious stew wearing a pastry hat.

REAL pies have pastry top and bottom…

THIS!  Total Mr & Mrs NHN rant fest, they are a stew with a lid, not pies.  We always ask, and often get a strange response to our comments.  Maybe young folk accept that as a ie, but we don't. 

Evenin all, post rant.  Mostly showers today but the £2 bus rides have been used to take us all over the lake district, and after all if it didn't rain, there would be no lakes.

@polybear & @PupCamyou mentioned the genius Allen Millyard - met him a couple of times, second time was when he had the Flying Millyard massive V twin on the rock, he remembered speaking to me the first time, which was years beforehand, on a 5 cylinder Kawasaki he made..  The guy has an incredible memory.  He is also a very understated and modest man, pleasant to chat to, and ready to share his methods in how he creates his masterpieces.  He was an engineer in the nuclear industry, gives one confidence in their creations too! Top bloke.

• Like 18

52 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You've been into a 70s bathroom again? 🤔

It would be interesting that now that the renovations are over the whole isn't redone with hessian wall weave, sh@g* carpet and in harvest gold and burnt orange colours.

We had an 'avocado' coloured telephone. Dad painted the eaves burnt orange. We did avoid harvest gold appliances.

* Nanny redacted that

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 2

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

FAKE PIES

Pies that pretend to be pies, but in reality are nothing but a pretentious stew wearing a pastry hat.

REAL pies have pastry top and bottom…

18 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

... they are a stew with a lid, not pies.  We always ask, and often get a strange response to our comments. 

There are plenty of dessert pies that don't have a lid.

You might argue that taxonomically they should be called tarts, (and let's face it, that's just rude 😉) but they're not.

Pecan pie is never called a pecan tart. And not just in the US. In Australia there is a traditional one called Governor Phillip's rum pie*.

* Apparently the Duke of Edinburgh wanted seconds.

If we wanted to have a taxonomical discussion on dessert names, "pudding" might take a while to sort out.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

It would be interesting that now that the renovations are over the whole isn't redone with hessian wall weave, carpet and in harvest gold and burnt orange colours.

We had an 'avocado' coloured telephone. Dad painted the eaves burnt orange. We did avoid harvest gold appliances.

Another standby was woodchip wallpaper, coated with either magnolia or eau de nil emulsion paint...

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

OK - who are you and what have you done with Bear? 

I know….scary isn’t it?

1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

Shorter. Always shorter... It's a pet peeve of mine, women with long nails. Psychiatrists may speculate but all the women I have ever been attracted to have all had short (properly manicured?) nails. For me, long and or painted nails are an instant turn off, as effective as a bucket of cold water. Which is why you may often see me shivering in mixed company... 

For Bear it’s those flat slip-on shoes in gold or silver glitter effect - and so beloved of teenage girls**
I call them “Benefit Shoes” - cos’ I suspect half of those down the dole office signing on are wearing them (do they still have to do that?)

**And NO, Bear DOESN’T go chasing after teenage girls…..

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Went down to Tess Coes earlier this evening for a few bits and pieces, there was nothing of interest in the reduced to clear shelf, not even a sarnie, the gannets had got there before me.

• Friendly/supportive 12

TBH @Hroth, all this talk about 70s decor and fashion is just being used by Oz as an excuse to get back into his polyester flares and tie-dyed t-shirts (although I don’t think that long hair and muttonchops would be an option at his age)

There are many things I loved about the 70s and many more that I’d like to forget - like the chocolate brown 3 piece polyester suit with “slightly flared” trousers…

I know, I know, I’m not proud of that, but in my defence I have to add that a) i had to wear it and b) I had the decency to wear a proper normal tie with it and not a “kipper tie” monstrosity.

At least in the 70s I wasn’t so addled by carbonating  hormones during my adolescence as to want to wear a white polyester suit with flares, a black nylon shirt with a big collar and a large gold medallion….

Disco, fortunately, passed me by….

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

@polybear  I only eat avocado one way.. when it's been turned into pured toad (guacamole)..

@The Q.. Good studd that.. took it as part ofnonebof my trials at the Leeds General Infirmary (or LGI.

Enjoyed a bit of play, a of talk and fantastic  operating potential.

Sleep well, baz

H

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

TBH @Hroth, all this talk about 70s decor and fashion is just being used by Oz as an excuse to get back into his polyester flares and tie-dyed t-shirts (although I don’t think that long hair and muttonchops would be an option at his age)

There are many things I loved about the 70s and many more that I’d like to forget - like the chocolate brown 3 piece polyester suit with “slightly flared” trousers…

I know, I know, I’m not proud of that, but in my defence I have to add that a) i had to wear it and b) I had the decency to wear a proper normal tie with it and not a “kipper tie” monstrosity.

At least in the 70s I wasn’t so addled by carbonating  hormones during my adolescence as to want to wear a white polyester suit with flares, a black nylon shirt with a big collar and a large gold medallion….

Disco, fortunately, passed me by….

Oh, I had the suit and kipper tie*, AND the shirt with the huge collar that would allow you to fly in a headwind....  The point is that anything less outlandish and you'd stick out like a corporate sore thumb!

I agree with your thoughts on disco...

* A sort of brown and mustard coloured affair.  With a green shirt, naturally!

Edited by Hroth
More sartorial details....
  • Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

24 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Oz as an excuse to get back into his polyester flares and tie-dyed t-shirts (although I don’t think that long hair and muttonchops would be an option at his age)

Polyester trousers (small flare) - check

Tie-dye - nope (it came back during the pandemic, but still nope)

Mutton-chops - nope

Long hair - longer than it is now but not really long

"Body shirts" were a thing in Oz then. Very snug fit. Unwearable unless under 25.

Still the decade that taste forgot.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

It's the coffee and snack element I'm after rather than a full blown restaurant.

Always worth calling in at the Dog & Rabbit; they will seat you if at all possible and if it's just for a quick coffee and snack you can probably get in before the next booking.  Alternatively try the Copper Kettle which has recently been taken over and is getting very good reviews.  Avoid the Phoenix though.  Our fourth currently-open cafe is the old Kegen Teg now trading as the Old Haberdashery Cafe.  They keep odd hours and it's a slightly odd place.  Extremely limited menu and lacking in any sort of ambience.  They do a good Indian thali on Friday evenings - meat option or veggie option - from 6pm until sold out or 8pm which ever come first.  No bookings; join the queue.  

The coast road is devoid of refreshments now since the last coffee-and-cakes place in Zennor closed.  There are pubs but they aren't always keen on the coffee-and-snack market.  There really is a need for somewhere in both Zennor and Pendeen.  Making a living from such would be very hard however; you don't pay many bills selling just a couple of coffees and a slice of cake on a Tuesday in February ...... 

The other side of Lands End there is a tiny cafe in Porthgwarra which we found - to our great surprise - was open on a Sunday in January!  Only coffees, mind, as they didn't want to risk keeping vulnerable stock for possibly no-one at all.  It too has a good reputation.  

Edited by Gwiwer
Something went wrong.
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Yes it’s available in the UK on the BBC iPlayer. 
Thought it might be something to watch with SWMBO. Well after the first scene SWMBO was disgusted and as I carried on watching I got the evil eye so decided to call it a day. Must admit it was a bit OTT but would have liked to watch it for the doggy story but a bit too laddish (or Aussie?) I do like adult humour but perhaps I’m getting too old for this sort.

Funny how one countries "gentle Rom-Com" is another's laddish humour!   Yeah I did point out that ep 1 wasn't the strongest and the poo bit was a bit OTT but once that bit was passed its pretty much smooth sailing.

The Guardian over there  liked it at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/apr/11/colin-from-accounts-review-at-last-a-female-character-thats-not-a-stereotype

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Another standby was woodchip wallpaper, coated with either magnolia or eau de nil emulsion paint...

Guilty as charged m'lud.  I once moved into a place with maroon / gold flock wallpaper literally hanging from the walls and covered in the scribbles of children who had, I assumed, lived there at some past time.  It all came off.  And working to my budget at that time which was absolute zero up went woodchip and "warm stone" paint.  The woodwork was painted in Brunswick green and the effect resembled - as I intended - the old Southern Railway / BR - SR colour palette.  Which was set- off nicely by the display of a few relics of the era which I had acquired.  And which I still have with one exception.  

1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

sh@g* carpet

I used to think that was named after its pile or style.  Until I discovered Smirnoff 🤣

• Like 4
  • Funny 12

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Still the decade that taste forgot.

And not just clothes!

image.png

That poor Falcon Hardtop...

But at least it was all just  stripery and bolt-on bits. Underneath it all is a decent looking car,

image.png.6494b18d46956b2c08a01b8c334eeb94.png

unlike many   70's offerings!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

At this rate I might have to go onto some news websites or (shudder) the BBC to get my fix of outrage. 

Just join Facebook mate! What a cesspit of idiocy that place is, if they had a simple question like "what  is two  times two"  as part of the registration process, three quarters of the userbase would never make it on.

I only went on it because all the 3D printer manufacturers and user groups use it exclusively which is ridiculous as a forum format but even they are infested with outrage and snark whenever anyone asks even the simplest  most reasonable question. One user will reply, another will invariably  call that reply stupid  and "how long have you been even 3D printing?!" then it degenerates into a slanging match. 

For maximum outrage, join a local community group that posts up "as we were" photos or similar. Queue endless "Back when everything was GOOD!" "We all know why it doesn't look like that now, dont we!" etc comments.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Too much fun this weekend.  

Last night I was out and about after dark for the Mazey Eve fireworks and music.  Today it was the busiest Mazey Day ever.  I don't know how many they think joined the fun but it might have been into six figures.  Every bus and every train into and out of town for most of the day was so well filled it would have done London proud never mind a normally down-at-heel regional town of several thousand people in western Cornwall.  

Dr. SWMBO does not like crowds, crowded places nor the general "milling and chilling" around at such things and took herself off to friends in Lostwithiel.  I dropped her at St. Erth as access to Penzance station is uncertain when parades close the roads at times throughout the day.  And it's a hand place to leave the car (at the Park  Ride site for St. Ives) rather than queue or fight for parking back in PZ.  So I hopped aboard a train the one-stop back and as expected had to squeeze myself aboard.  Only for 10 minutes but amid many happy day-trippers all turning a blind eye to the crush, shared air and deodorants and the very varied choices of fashion.  Dressed or almost-dressed.  

I enjoyed watching two of the parades, enjoyed watching both the special trains which came down from the West Midlands, and enjoyed grabbing some street food from some of the stalls.  The weather stayed overcast but warm enough and only allowed misty rain to blow in later in the evening.  I had by then collected Dr. SWMBO and two kebabs and returned home through typical moorland weather.  We had dodged a good many wayward folk as we drove (very carefully) through town on the only open road.  This of necessity passes the fairground and a couple of the busiest pubs and it was no surprise that I was forced to make several emergency brake applications as the crowds spilled randomly into the roadway or as friends ran across to greet others without even looking at the road.

Ah the joys.  But yes, plenty of good fun was had. 

IMG_7039.JPG.bdaab13b6a3bf07564f92f388acf6033.JPG

Serpent Dancing with Penzance's own "hobby horse" Penglâz (Grey Head) - just the skull and a representation of the body.  I did join in but it's really hard to film whilst both hands are holding those of the next-in-line as you swirl and turn through the crowds

We had a visiting Breton band this year

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 18

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Funny how one countries "gentle Rom-Com" is another's laddish humour!   Yeah I did point out that ep 1 wasn't the strongest and the poo bit was a bit OTT but once that bit was passed its pretty much smooth sailing.

The Guardian over there  liked it at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/apr/11/colin-from-accounts-review-at-last-a-female-character-thats-not-a-stereotype

It was the fascination will  parts of the female anatomy that offended SWMBO and made it ‘difficult’ for me to watch. May try skipping the first episode as we both love films featuring animals and especially dogs.

The dog looks quite a bit like Sydney which makes me want to see what he gets up to.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 12

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

It was the fascination will  parts of the female anatomy that offended SWMBO and made it ‘difficult’ for me to watch. May try skipping the first episode as we both love films featuring animals and especially dogs.

The dog looks quite a bit like Sydney which makes me want to see what he gets up to.

Oh and there's a wee scene at the start of episode 2....

Actually the dog doesn't get up to an awful lot, he's more the plot device that keeps them together..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It rained hard yesterday and there are now only three baubles down (24).  The market awaits but I'm not sure what else the day will bring.  

Football tonight, 

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Now we know how to get the Bears ldc supplies..

Train a bunch of teenage female ninjas who are on a diet. To retrieve his stores.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 14