The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Good evening good peoples.

In the lakes now, and it appears a lake is falling from the sky this evening.   Pah!  Really windy now too, positively stormy in fact. Ah well, we knew it wouldn't last.

@PupCam & @polybear  Didn't Ogri put a Kawasaki 500 triple in a scooter?  IIRC his uncle Ralph left it for him to fix or something.  Now that really would be scary.

No worse than the frame it left the factory with... There was a reason I didn't expect to reach 30.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

14 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I'm not sure whether the word 'debate' will describe what is about to take place....... 🤪

Hmmmmm after that display I had better get the bed made up in the spare room, there  will possibly be a lot of political refugees looking for a safe place  come November 6th..

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Hroth said:

I thought it was supposed to be cooler today?

Only I've just noticed that another bauble has descended* on the thermometer, leaving the last one bobbing uncertainly at the top.

Its not sunny out, but there must be a hot breeze ore something...

* That makes it at least approximately 24C indoors!

It must be about 25.5 here this morning as bauble 4 is getting close to the lower three.  I love watching them. We have had three days with temps in the 30's.  We got some DIY and Gardening done  in the morning then had an hour in the pool which was at 3.  Then went into Aulnay for Scampi and chips.  We sat outside the cafe in the shade with a nice cooling breeze and a cold beer.  Rather nice. 

Various tasks today sinI will get on. 

Jamie

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, skipepsi said:

No worse than the frame it left the factory with... There was a reason I didn't expect to reach 30.

Allen Millyard** built a 5 cylinder, 883cc special using two KH500 engines; the new owner describes the joining of the crankcases as “seamless”.

**A rather clever Guy

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny start but at least it's a little cooler and there's a bit of a breeze.  Variable cloud and sunny spells forecast.  15°C rising to 23°C however the thermometer here beside me is reading 24°C. Fans have been deployed and windows opened wide.

Today's first task after breakfast will be a walk to Asda to collect magazines and one or two other things.  After that I need to clean the BBQ.  A parcel is due from the big river, a new CD by a certain group of young Mexican ladies so there will be some loud rock music played at some stage today.

Nothing else planned apart from watering my garden this evening and I have now got next door's to contend with for a three days and starting tomorrow another friend's garden will have my ministrations for a fortnight.

Time to take tea up to Herself.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Ey up!

Cold, grey and overcast up here in the North West Leeds Highlands this morning.

Pah!!

Today will include.. fence painting, a walk around a nice garden, a trip to a shop which sold me a duff second hand box of electronics for use with items which run on parallel strips of nickel silver and anything else herself adds to my list of things which must be done.

The temperature drop should help to do this...

@BoD  if you buy a curry as a take out and stick it in the fridge or freezer it always has more flavour to it when reheated.. must be the flavours permeating it all ..

Baz

Edited by Barry O
Spellung
  • Like 17

15 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The CNN Travel section is happy to trot out stories of the "top ten most *whatever* cities".

Today it was most liveable.

CNN: The world’s most liveable cities for 2024

2024’s Global Liveability Index: The top 10

1. Vienna, Austria

2. Copenhagen, Denmark

3. Zurich, Switzerland

4. Melbourne, Australia

5. Calgary, Canada

5. Geneva, Switzerland

7. Sydney, Australia

7. Vancouver, Canada

9. Osaka, Japan

9. Auckland, New Zealand

This list struck me as interesting. A couple of weeks ago it was:

Top 10 “impossibly unaffordable” cities

1. Hong Kong

2. Sydney

3. Vancouver

4. San Jose

5. Los Angeles

6. Honolulu

7. Melbourne

8. San Francisco/Adelaide

9. San Diego

10. Toronto

The world’s 10 most expensive cities for 2023

1. Zurich and Singapore (tie)

3. New York and Geneva (tie)

5. Hong Kong 

6. Los Angeles 

7. Paris

8. Tel Aviv and Copenhagen (tie)

10. San Francisco 

Understanding that correlation is not causation, I would suggest that factors that make cities rank highly on the "liveability" scale can also make them unaffordable/expensive. Nice to be high on livability and not cost. Not so nice to be high on the expensive list and not on the liveability list.

I think that one of the things that pushes a city up the ranks on the liveability index is the tolerance (or more accurately, “lack of tolerance”) for vandalism and low level crime. In London, vandalism and low level crime is now so commonplace that is basically unremarked upon (and frequently ignored by the police). Any scrote trying to pull a Tower Hamlets* Posse number in Singapore or Zürich would find out very quickly what “enforcing the law” really means.

If you are able to afford a very nice apartment or house in one of the nicest areas in Zürich or Singapore or Copenhagen, you will be regularly sending a considerable amount of cash into the city coffers. The city fathers will not want to upset that nice little arrangement and therefore will provide the very best in services and amenities.

If you add to the mix of economically sound inhabitants and a steady &  robust income stream for the city, the social responsibility of its inhabitants  plus an intolerance for scrotes and misbehaviour, then of course you will have a very liveable city.

* Tower Hamlets is estimated to have the highest crime rate in London

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

We have one of those temperature bauble things we inherited.. however I suspect it's not designed for the UK temperature range.  In the house most of the baubles sit firmly on the bottom of the tube very rarely lifting off. Down in the mobile home in the heat of the summer lift off is achieved.

Mooring Awl, 

2 hours sleep, came downstairs, 3 hours sleep, 1 hours sleep..

Ben the hobbling Collie was the fine after his long walk, and for a good time after, then suddenly he was hobbling badly. He's still hobbling this morning, I had to help him out of the house, his patrol was a splash and hobble back in. Can't find anything wrong on his paw and he makes no yelp when examining his paw and leg.

He was a bit quicker when bacon was offered, he's been given some painkillers, and is now snoring on the floor.

I'm off to the museum shortly, 

Time for me to drive...

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

It's quite bright but more cloud is appearing.  It is also windy, about Force 6 with stronger gusts so I shall not be doing much gardening today.  It is about 18°C outside, 23°C inside at the moment and the humidity has gone down, it feels much fresher.

Yesterday after tea I continued throwing things out and moving things round, as long as I can remember where I have put things it will be a lot better - and when access to the boiler is needed nothing much will need moving.  I have found 2 first aid kits which have come with cars in the past, I will have a look at the contents and keep anything useful, there is alrady a new kit in the car.

I also seem to have a lot of spare tea towels so there will be some sorting out to see which are still useful.

I will now be sitting quietly doing photos and model things until the boiler is serviced, I have made sure I have enough cash to pay for the job.  I do get a proper receipt etc so it does go through the firm's books, they just don't carry a card machine with them.  I think it is partly because mobile reception can be very poor in some parts of town - even the maps show that reception is only available outdoors.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Grey and windy, but much cooler...

Bye bye summer!

Midday, and only two baubles down. Much more comfortable!

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Dull and overcast with a touch of rain in the air. So bang goes hanging the washing out.

Still wearing shorts though- only time the legs get an airing. 

I have a telephonic communication from the GP or rather pharmacist this afternoon to discuss my medication. Last couple have been with a very pleasant chap- can we still say that?. Prior to that it was a lady who was clearly working from home as you could hear her children screaming in the background. In addition she had a pronounced accent that made her somewhat difficult to understand. Anyway will see what happens about the 'sweeties'- have to justify all that money we 'donate' to the deity.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

I was a true ER this am (2.40 BST) - those * sleep and piddle fairies were in full spiteful mood today. So in rather a zombie mode currently. Still, at least I have an excuse, unlike a certain person in the news asking people to vote for him. What was it Bear said a day or two ago quoting someone in the UK? Are these two the best we have? That could become an international catchphrase of voters in quite a few countries. 

Not much planned, quite a bit to do but there always is and I don't feel up to much. The more I do, the more Fate and other people try and give me to do. A dry but cooler day forecast so I might sit outside. Someone is washing his car and I saw a youngster heading off to school (?) with a cricket bat under his arm, so it will be odds on which of us makes it rain. 

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Still dull and windy, but we’ve had some much needed rain overnight, but it’s currently dry. As normal for a Friday, I shall shortly be setting off to the butchers for the weekly meat rations and a pork pie for my dinner. After that, it’s a quick trip to the Trafford Centre for a few more bits and pieces. After dinner it’ll be time for a bit of relaxation and reading, might catch up with last nights question time too. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

those * sleep and piddle fairies were in full spiteful mood today

Harrumph.

03.15 : woken from  dream which comprised struggling to escape from a box because I was wrapped (trapped?) in blankets.  Found myself already emerging from the duvet en route to the bathroom as eyes opened.  

04.00 : woken from dreaming again but with no need to emerge this time.  

06.53 : woken by those pesky piskies yet again having been caught dreaming once more.  Seven minutes before the alarm rang so no chance of going back and finishing the story!.  Blah.  

Why, in these days of marvellous electronics and advanced science, can we not record our dreams onto a storage device of some sort?  Perhaps returning to them later if we wished or consigning them to the electronic waste if unpleasant.  Or even sent as an email attachment to some spurious internet therapist for analysis? 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

So in rather a zombie mode currently. Still, at least I have an excuse, unlike a certain person in the news asking people to vote for  him?

Who came out best? 

Or even sent as an email attachment to some spurious internet therapist for analysis? 

7 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Some of us would probably get locked up….

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A lot cooler last night and this morning, and a lot less muggy as well. At the moment the welkin is predominately grey but with a few blue patches. At least the pollen levels are down as the hay fever has gone, but it might be just the pollen that affects me. More washing to take off of the rack and put away ready for the next batch this morning. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

From what I saw of it the orange one came out best, unfortunately.

Anyone can come out on top in a slanging match if they're an orange loudmouthed braggart.  Reports say that he didn't answer many of the questions, but went off on totally pointless rants.  I'm not saying that grandpa made any better sense...

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Anyone can come out on top in a slanging match if they're an orange loudmouthed braggart.  Reports say that he didn't answer many of the questions, but went off on totally pointless rants.  I'm not saying that grandpa made any better sense...

Reported this morning that the Democrats are talking about dropping Biden. They could do worse than pick Kamala Harris for the job.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Time zones meant that we got to see the whole thing before lunch. The old fellow walked out looking a little startled and confused and it  went downhill from there pretty much.

The other guy  spent the entire time saying everything was the best ever in history when he was in power and the worst ever since. 

The whole thing was a disaster made worse by there being no fact checkers to correct any of the dozens of lies and misstatements and the old fella didn't have the where-with-all to do it himself and the moderators did bu99er all. Very poor.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Biden looks increasingly frail and failing. He is an old man in arguably the singularly most important and consequentle position in the world. That's a level of expectation and stress that'd challenge anyone, never mind an old man who is seriously showing his age. If elected I think there will be serious doubts over his capability to see out a second term in sound mind. I don't want to sound ageist, but it does become a consideration at a certain point.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3