The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

We've been having incredibly clear skies here lately .....

I'll have to Google what that means

Signed

The Frustrated Astronomer Royal (Great Puppershire) 🙄

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of it.  It never gets very hot in there but it is never cold either.

The plan is for them to have a new home - where I can more easily get at them.  "All" I have to do is move some other things first.

David

The trick is not to need them at all….. 😁

• Like 5
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

The trick is not to need them at all….. 😁

So, in a forum with GDB as a regular ….  

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, BoD said:

So, in a forum with GDB as a regular ….  

It’s our duty to set GDB a good example….

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, PupCam said:

My mate won first prize in the non-Velo competition with his Series D Vincent Black Shadow (way too many Deltics for a Puppers plus the fact that Puppers could neither start it or hold it up!)

Well the 'hold it up' part can be solved quite easily .

https://ch.pinterest.com/pin/498351515012013610/

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon/evening all from Estuary-Land. A few poppies have sprung up in the weed patch so I'm keeping an eye on them  to be able to recover the seed heads. There is a narrow bed between the drive and the fence where I will scatter the seeds later in the year.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, polybear said:

The depths to which some plod are prepared to descend knows no bounds it seems….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cm52nm52kdno

Not new that I'm afraid my dear Bear. Been occuring for quite some time. My mother who had some official dealings with the rozzers said that they were notorious for being light fingered when dealing with dead people.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, polybear said:

It’s our duty to set GDB a good example….

Good luck with that.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, polybear said:

A 350LC motor in one of these could be fun

I've seen one in a Lambretta.  Bet that would be a bit quicker than standard and a whole lot more scary!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I've seen one in a Lambretta.  Bet that would be a bit quicker than standard and a whole lot more scary!

I was going to post the Youtube for that but now you've spoiled  the surprise .    😬 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Good evening good peoples.

In the lakes now, and it appears a lake is falling from the sky this evening.   Pah!  Really windy now too, positively stormy in fact. Ah well, we knew it wouldn't last.

@PupCam & @polybear  Didn't Ogri put a Kawasaki 500 triple in a scooter?  IIRC his uncle Ralph left it for him to fix or something.  Now that really would be scary.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I went to Tess Coes this afternoon and as usual had a rummage in the reduced to clear. One item I found in there was a brioche bread and butter pudding so I'm going to give it a try. It's a family sized one but I'll have to eat it all by myself.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

The package that Sheila was waiting for didn’t arrive until almost dinner time, so the morning was spent in the cellar. I began by printing off the Flower Show tickets, I then updated several lists on the computer. After that, I carried on converting the couplings on some wagons to Kadee types. 

After dinner, I managed to get a couple of hours in the workshop. I was on my own today, as Charlie was going to a gig tonight, so needed to get ready for that. So I did a bit more on the High Level chassis, I must admit that I’m very impressed with it so far. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Hroth said:

I thought it was supposed to be cooler today?

It certainly has been here.  Yesterday it reached the dizzying heights of 20C (but was 32C inside the Muddling Club Facility) and with very high humidity.  Today was just 13C and with a return of that chilly north wind we have already had too much of these past few months.  The humidity has also gone making things far less sticky.  

Afternoon Tea was had with friends Dr. SWMBO has made in the local church.  They are relatively recent arrivals in town though have owned their cottage here for 14 years.  Being clergy (now retired) they felt it desirable to secure a base for when they were no longer expected to up and move on at His Grace's Favour.  Lovely people actually.  Enough common ground to ensure a flow of conversation and with the calm and placid nature which I find comfortable.  

Not content with entertaining we were then entertained to dinner tonight with friends in the Big City of Penzance who had invited us to join them at their choice of Indian restaurant.  There are several in town.  The company was good and the food well cooked but not really - well - Indian.  It lacked spicing.  I couldn't fault the cooking of meats and rice dishes but where was the amusement for the bouche?  It wasn't cheap either, and coupled with the restaurant not offering coffees (nor alcohol, but BYO grog works better than BYO after-dinner espresso) we were under-whelmed.  Next time we are going back to the good place.  Which is also cheaper by a noticeable margin.  

Tomorrow the week-long Golowan Festival begins its three-day finale.  Music and street-dancing of various kinds is on the agenda along with the fireworks late at night.  Saturday is Mazey Day - the Feast of St. John or in Cornish Gool Jowan from which the name Golowan is derived.  Apart from the street parades which are claimed to include the largest mobile marionettes in the UK there is street food, more music, more dancing and merriment with or without alcoholic additives.  I shall be without as the way home requires use of the Little Red Driving Box.  There are buses but on the busiest night of the year I don't want to be left behind if the last one is full.  Leaving at 23.20 it could well be.  Sunday is Quay Fair Day which centres on the funfair on the quay oddly enough.  And thus will conclude what is claimed to be the second-largest street festival in the UK after Notting Hill Carnival.  Did I mention there are special trains coming down for Mazey Day?  There are usually two each year.  With "heritage" oil-burning traction to enthuse the enthusiasts.  

But first it is time to put Thursday to bed.  G'night all.  

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

2024’s Global Liveability Index: The top 10

1. Vienna, Austria

2. Copenhagen, Denmark

3. Zurich, Switzerland

4. Melbourne, Australia

5. Calgary, Canada

5. Geneva, Switzerland

7. Sydney, Australia

7. Vancouver, Canada

9. Osaka, Japan

9. Auckland, New Zealand

Exactly half of those cities are in the British Commonwealth. It must make everyone in the Ye Olde Darte proud to know that the kids  are doing so well.

• Like 11
  • Funny 5