The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of Hay Fever, I read an article just a few days ago where a Doc recommended that sufferers should ensure they wash their face & hair every night before bed.  Why?  So pollen doesn’t spread onto the pillow and then get breathed in etc.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Gold

Driving home at 22:00 hrs, Yeti said it was 22C!

Too warm, but humid out, RAIN!  Need some RAIN!

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

On the subject of Hay Fever, I read an article just a few days ago where a Doc recommended that sufferers should ensure they wash their face & hair every night before bed.  Why?  So pollen doesn’t spread onto the pillow and then get breathed in etc.

I'll give that a go tonight, I've been wheezy, blinking and sneezy all evening, apart from when I was in the car with the aircon on...  Home Bargains* have face wipes targeted at hayfever sufferers to use during the day.  I don't think they are "medicated" and they don't seem to be grossly overinflated pricewise at 89p a pack compared with "ordinary" facewipes.  They, or something similar might be handy throughout the day.

* Supermarkets, etc may well offer similar wipes.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, polybear said:

I read something similar about changing clothes so that pollen doesn't get brought into the house.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Winslow Boy said:

I read something similar about changing clothes so that pollen doesn't get brought into the house.

Stripping to the buff on the doorstep might disconcert the neighbours....

• Agree 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, polybear said:

Gareth Jenkins would’ve done well to remember he worked for Fujitsu, and NOT for the Post Office….so he had valid reason to refuse their “requests” (apart from it being plain wrong anyway)

Unfortunately the old adage that the one paying the piper calls the tune tends to hold true. These people know who butters their bread and aren't in a hurry to risk that. If that means a few of the peons get hurt, well that's a price these people won't lose much sleep over. I wish I could believe the post office case was an aberration,  but I think the corporate cultures and political preference to look after the big people on display are closer to the norm than the exception.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Mil is not doing well. She has a urine infection which can have strange effects in the elderly, it is difficult to know whether it  is that or her dementia causing her to be the way she is.

Yes. It does. I know you will both take great care.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

Or amuse or even titillate them*…….

*stranger things have known to happen…..

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 2

Good Morning All,

I was quite the lazy so-and-so this morning, not getting up until 05:30; lately I’ve had rather bad insomnia* that has seen me fall asleep in front of the TV, wake up, stagger into bed and then wake up at 03:00 unable to get back to sleep again. But last night I got to bed about 22:30 without having fallen asleep first.

But why do I mention this? Because as I try to doze off I’ve been listening to I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue on BBC Sounds - which, sadly, has been only mildly amusing. Is it just me, or since Barry Cryer (d 2022) and Tim Brooke Taylor (d 2020) died and Graeme Garden retired from ISIHAC has it lost its sparkle? Jack Dee was an inspired choice to replace Humph, but even he can’t lift the show out of its current doldrums. (and it’s not just ISIHAC, I recently listened to a recent episode of Mark Steel’s in Town and it felt kinda flat as well).

Could it be that the self-appointed, sanctimonious, humourless, prodnoses that profess to know better than anyone else have got the BBC running scared? According to diverse newspaper accounts, just four complaints about “sexism” in ISIHAC got the Beeb leaning on the cast, writers and producer of ISIHAC- that’s 4 complaints out of an audience estimated to be (a presumably happy) 2.5 million listeners. But once Jack Dee publicly threatened to quit and ISIHAC fans started complaining to the BBC about how absurd (or stupid - your choice) they were being, the Beeb backed off.

Like democracy free speech can get pretty messy, but in a healthy democracy no-one has the right not to be offended (we would not have made the progress we have made since the enlightenment had the intellectual giants of the past been afraid of offending someone…)

Anyway, I gotta dash and get cooking, the delightful Samantha is coming for lunch and she wants to try my sausage in cider….

* some unkind individuals (no name, no pack drills, eh PB), might think that my insomnia is due to my tormented conscience keeping me awake as I relive, with horror and regret, all the terrible things I’ve done in my life. Nothing could be further from the truth, my conscience is as clear and as untroubled as an innocent babe’s.

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Good Morning All,

the delightful Samantha is coming for lunch and she wants to try my sausage in cider….

I am glad you wrote that.  On the radio that would have been full of double entendre

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Unfortunately the old adage that the one paying the piper calls the tune tends to hold true. These people know who butters their bread and aren't in a hurry to risk that. If that means a few of the peons get hurt, well that's a price these people won't lose much sleep over. I wish I could believe the post office case was an aberration,  but I think the corporate cultures and political preference to look after the big people on display are closer to the norm than the exception.

Unfortunately, I have to agree.

One of the things I like about the US is that, once it does get going, it’s not afraid to prosecute individuals at the very highest levels (the recent case against the orange one being a good example). One could argue that there should be more such prosecutions of “the big beasts”, but at least these prosecutions DO happen. Unlike in the UK, where the CPS will happily prosecute those who don’t pay their TV licence fee (44,245 prosecutions in 2022, mostly women and mostly poor and often elderly and vulnerable) whilst studiously avoiding troubling those responsible for some of the biggest scandals and injustices of recent years.

Time for Captain Cynical to take over and unleash @polybear Minister for Justice and Retribution 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BR60103 said:

7 hours ago, BSW01 said:

Whilst we were just ago eat dinner, my car insurance renewal dropped on the door mat. Like most years, I was expecting the new premium to go up, but it actually went down, by £33 a year. I was gobsmacked, absolutely gobsmacked I tell you. It’s not a lot,  but it’s better in my pocket than the company coffers! 

Perhaps they're finally starting to realise that the recent price hikes are costing them customers.

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Anyway, I gotta dash and get cooking, the delightful Samantha is coming for lunch and she wants to try my sausage in cider….

Won't that sting?

33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

* some unkind individuals (no name, no pack drills, eh PB), might think that my insomnia is due to my tormented conscience keeping me awake as I relive, with horror and regret, all the terrible things I’ve done in my life. Nothing could be further from the truth, my conscience is as clear and as untroubled as an innocent babe's

It's a classic case of essential nutrient deficiency of the sort found only in tinned baked beans and curly fries.  Easily remedied, fortunately

• Like 14
  • Funny 2

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

It's a classic case of essential nutrient deficiency of the sort found only in tinned baked beans and curly fries.  Easily remedied, fortunately

Nice try, Bear.

Close, but no cigar!

I think I know a wee bit more than you about essential nutrients (and how to get them) as well as UPF (and how to avoid them) and tinned baked beans and frozen curly fries ain’t on the right list.

It’s that inconvenient and pesky scientific and medical background and training that gets in the way of such wonderful flights of fancy…..

• Like 12
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good morning all,

It's a bit overcast but the sun is trying to break through.  A dry and bright start to the day is forecast followed by a band of light rain followed by sunshine.  17°C rosing to 26°C.

It will be busy around GDB Towers today.  Multiple bin lorries expected to start with followed by Ocado who yet again are supplying everything we've asked for.  There is Sharking to be done and then we have visitors for lunch which will hopefully be taken in the garden and involve a BBQ.

A little bit of good news is that I've won £30 on the lottery.  I suppose "won" is not quite right, more that some of my recent losses will be reimbursed.

Tea has been taken up to you know who and She is already on the move so I'd best be about it andgettamoveon.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Herself has gone to moreasons to do the weekly shopping. I have a needing to prepare for.. ot will involve a lot of political manoeuvring  but I hope people see sense or big bad nasty baz may appear and put them into the right box.

I spent some time yesterday arranging a meeting (phone call) with the practice Pharmacist team this is my annual meds review.. do I detect that the Marie Celeste is awakening from its slumbers? It may mean a return to  a walk infacility.. heavens to Betsy!  

Of course there are certain things that the GPs are funded to do from various sources.. so, no doubt, the team will try to ensure I take stations on board.. a definite no from my cardio consultant, and not reduce my metal forming.. which the cardio guys did while I was in hospital. I did have an email about attending an experimental review into what metformindoes you your heart.. but alas I am too old to take part currently.

Have a great day!

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Or amuse or even titillate them*…….

*stranger things have known to happen…..

With the age profile in our village definitely not. 

Anyway good morning from Scorchio.  33 to 34 yesterday.  The sun is already up and the first tractors have already ambled past.  The Combines don't get up before noon.  They were busy last night getting the Barley in. 

Some DIY this morning the possibly some more grass cutting. 

Regards to all and Sundry. 

Jamie

• Like 18

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well you can't have it both ways. What do you prefer sneeze free sleep or twitching curtains.

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

13 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

All this talk about UPF and cooking from basic ingredients compels me to issue a stern statement that there's no excuse for not cooking properly. Every night I return from the office and home cooked food of a most excellent standard appears on the table. And with zero effort on my part. Tonight is aubergine fried with chillies and beef rendang. Frankly, if I can do it, there's no excuse, come on people, let's get it together, let my example inspire y'all!💪

Wot no beans or curly fries. The Bear will be most disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10