The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Ever get the feeling it’s all been a total waste of time & money?  Our money….

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crgggyvp0j9o

We should send the bill to the U. S.

There may be a very big Rant there….

I reckon they didn't have much of a case against him other than embarrassing the CIA to whom we should send the bill.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Another hot and sticky night last night and it took a couple of hours to get to sleep, the bedroom thermometre was showing 26 degrees C. last night but it was down to 22 this morning. It's now showing 24.5, same as outside. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A bright, sunny start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. I’ve just earned a few brownie points by fixing one of the drawers on a cupboard in the middle bedroom. My next task will be to plant a few more plants in the garden before it gets too hot. After that, if it’s not too hot, I might make a start cutting the plywood for the helix. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

"We" didn't change our mind so Sainsbury's was visited and strangely some beer and wine fell off the shelves as i was passing.  "We" were not amused. 

Flippin' hot here now, currently 27.2°C  where I'm sitting on the cooler side of the house and the conservatory was 38°C when we came back, now down to 34°C with the doors and windows open.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PupCam said:
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

On my phone it allows you to make emergency calls. Quite how it figures out what an emergency call is I haven't figured out, but then again I am a bit of a luddite.

Being calls ONLY to the emergency services per chance?     It's quite easy to spot "999"!

Most phones, if switched off, will “wake up” if touched or moved and display a start-up screen. 

Depending upon how you set your phone up this may ask for a passcode, voice, eye or finger-print recognition before anything else will work. 

Except that by law and international agreements there is always an option to make an emergency call. That will always work provided there is any signal at all. There will be enough power if the screen lights up - any phone must retain enough battery reserve for that even if it has run down to 0% and shut itself off. 

Dialling is not required. Simply selecting the “emergency call” button on screen (which may display as “SOS” or other similar meaning) will connect to the nearest emergency services operator. The phone will boost signal strength to the maximum possible and will transmit its location. 

Those settings cannot be over-ridden. 

You can, of course, also dial 999 or 112 (in the UK) and most phones also have an automated “connect to emergency services” function without making any call. On mine that is pressing and holding the “on/off” button and either of the “volume” buttons opposite. Some phones will connect if violently shaken - I have disabled that on mine - allowing another covert option to call for help if under direct threat of harm. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, PupCam said:

Being calls ONLY to the emergency services per chance?     It's quite easy to spot "999"!

I don't know but that's what I've always imagined it to be.

An emergency call from SWMBO to say "we need another tin of beans while you are out" probably wouldn't cut the mustard .......

112 is a number hill walkers use in emergencies where mobile signals are non existent, seemingly it scours the skies for a satellite and sends a connection to the emergency services, not sure which one as up to now I haven't needed it, but it's in my phone memory.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, PupCam said:

An emergency call from SWMBO to say "we need another tin of beans while you are out" probably wouldn't cut the mustard .......

Sounds like a life & death emergency to me…..

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

112 is a number hill walkers use in emergencies where mobile signals are non existent, seemingly it scours the skies for a satellite and sends a connection to the emergency services, not sure which one as up to now I haven't needed it, but it's in my phone memory.

I believe you will find that is an urban myth.    

Standard mobile phones have no ability to connect with communications satellites (they can of course receive signals from GPS satellites but that's a completely different kettle of fish) , that's why if you want to use a mobile phone in far away places you have to lash out loads of Deltics for a proper "Sat phone" e.g.  this.       Remember normal mobile phones are cell phones i.e. they use and depend on the underlying cellular network  provided by all those telephone masts and the inescapable truth  is that "No bars" means "No talky" unless you happen to have  alternative access to the internet via WiFi (on the top of a mountain?).

PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON YOUR MOBILE AS THE ONLY "GET OUT OF GAOL CARD" WHEN IN REMOTE PLACES.  

Carry them of course on the off-chance that you may find a signal (and to use GPS* etc etc) but don't believe for one minute they will be of any use at all in times of need.

* This really applies to the GPS aspect as well.       A map, a compass and the knowledge to use them are your ultimate tools in remote places.

HTH

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 1
  • Agree 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

112 will connect your mobile phone to emergency services and use any available mobile phone signal not just your own service provider, giving you a better chance of getting a response. However we have been in places like Devon and Dorset, not particularly remote where there seemed to be non existent coverage on at least the various services we had access too. If you want to send your position to a satellite you have the choice of some Garmin ( other makes etc) devices which can transmit your location but only if you have a satellite subscription or get a satellite phone and subscription. 

Just seen @PupCam ‘s response. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, polybear said:

Sounds like a life & death emergency to me…..

It would be an emergency if PB discovered that he had an SWMBO in such circumstances. 

Jamie

• Funny 18

31 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I believe you will find that is an urban myth.    

Standard mobile phones have no ability to connect with communications satellites (they can of course receive signals from GPS satellites but that's a completely different kettle of fish) , that's why if you want to use a mobile phone in far away places you have to lash out loads of Deltics for a proper "Sat phone" e.g.  this.       Remember normal mobile phones are cell phones i.e. they use and depend on the underlying cellular network  provided by all those telephone masts and the inescapable truth  is that "No bars" means "No talky" unless you happen to have  alternative access to the internet via WiFi (on the top of a mountain?).

PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON YOUR MOBILE AS THE ONLY "GET OUT OF GAOL CARD" WHEN IN REMOTE PLACES.  

Carry them of course on the off-chance that you may find a signal (and to use GPS* etc etc) but don't believe for one minute they will be of any use at all in times of need.

* This really applies to the GPS aspect as well.       A map, a compass and the knowledge to use them are your ultimate tools in remote places.

HTH

No exact idea of how 112 works, but I have been assured it will, maybe not in all cases though. I certainly would not rely on anything electrical to navigate by, they can fail, a map and compass (with some knowledge of how they work)is an essential.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

No emergency buttons on either of the two phones I've had.

Lost but a working phone? Switch it off, walk, don't try climbing, to the highest point nearby. Then switch on and try to communicate. Most chance of getting a signal without flattening the batteries..

Hedge trimming cancelled as 4 barrow loads of rubble needed moving.

Changed spark plug on mower, ran for a lap and a half up and down the garden. Then cut out,  I've now ordered carburetor parts, and found on looking at manuals  need torx sockets to get the darn thing off.. also ordered.

I've now done three long breaks with a mow and a bit between.

Took Ben for his long walk, he wouldn't leave without his lead on, I suspect he's getting more insecure as his cataracts develop. As it was we only did 400 yards before he said it as too hot. So we came back.

He was flat out by the window again, while I Pottered about loading the tumble dryer , got a pork pie out of the fridge... And he as there, nothing wrong with his hearing or nose.

The temperature this room has dropped, a light sea breeze is developing and blowing into the room, 

Time to add some thicker lines to spreadsheets, so I can make sure I hit the right line / column at the far end..

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Here at least, 112 (which is certainly pan European) takes you to a central unit where they have staff  who speak a number of languages - rather than a perhaps more local service.  Being able to describe the emergency in your own language is of course an advantage even if you are reasonably fluent in the local one, since the stress of an incident  can rapidly empty the brain.  I assume  the UK would be similar.

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

No exact idea of how 112 works, but I have been assured it will, maybe not in all cases though. I certainly would not rely on anything electrical to navigate by, they can fail, a map and compass (with some knowledge of how they work)is an essential.

112 on a mobile phone or landline (in the UK)  is equivalent to 999 and will connect to the same emergency services. 112 was a pan-European number.  It was added to the the UK emergency numbers during the time we were in the EU. It does nothing more or less than 999 does. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

I don't know but that's what I've always imagined it to be.

That's a good job then. I'll just have remember to forget the pin code to unlock it. Now what was that number again.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

I've a boiler with a digital display, but it isn't an engaging conversationalist.  Sometimes all it says is F0...

You'd need someone like C3P0 to translate for you!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 16