The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Barry O said:

is our 45th Wedding Anniversary today.. I must be due for parole!!!

Happy Anniversary.

We had our 45th a couple of years ago. Definitely not applying for parole though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Countryfile 17:30, BBC1.

3 Rivers Race.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

The sun has stayed out all day but it is not as hot as yesterday.

A lot of people are on holiday so there were fewer than usual at church.  Both organists are away so we had recorded music for the hymns and just spoken responses.

I did a little bit in the garden and then sorted out the plant pots so all the non standard size ones have gone in the bin, as the local council recommends.  

After lunch I watched the Spanish Grand Prix.  Next I will feed the greenhouse plants along with those in pots and tubs outdoors.  Then it will be tea and book I think.

I've had a couple of e mails from cousins thanking me for the photos I've sent, I've done something right for once.

David

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Countryfile 17:30, BBC1.

3 Rivers Race.

Halfway through the programme, the sailing looks very lively!

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

There's also a "sweet-spot" day for getting quotes - leave it late and the price goes up.....

(The Moneysaving Expert website tells all)

I am not quite there. It is said to be 23 days prior to renewal. I am at 27 days. 

That’s close enough for me. 

In other news the garden has been twiddled with, a cluckbird and vegetables have been persuaded to sit in a hot place for 90 minutes or so and there’s a bottle of cheap-but-perfectly-good Chardonnay in a nice cool place.

The rest of SunFogday might be quite acceptable. 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Evening each,

Lazy sort of day spent here.

Steve didn't come round as he's feeling a bit rough, thinks he got some sort of bug and doesn't want to give it to the old folk.  He tried to sort my IT problem over the phone but to no avail, the problems are still there so will have to wait until he can come round.  No big deal, just annoying.

Watched a recorded rugby match this afternoon, the Women's Premiership Final.  Quite enjoyable but I must admit there's a few lasses there that I wouldn't want to be tackled by,,,,and a couple I wouldn't mind too much!  😁

Healthy meal tonight, chicken salad with a jacket potato accompanied by a glass of Malbec.  Strawberries and ice cream were offered but I may save that for a bit later.

As usual nothing that really interests me on TV tonight so I may try to find a film to watch or listen to some music....or I could amble down to The Shed.    Decisions, decisions....

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Hope you all enjoyed that😃

Yes, the sailing was very lively, we had a high drop out rate this year due to equipment failures and the conditions overwhelming the crew.

As they said a record time for the race, it was close to being cancelled as they were right on the limit for wind speed.

Notes from the show,

The very first boat seen was Yare and Bure Hairstreak BM was racing against her today and beat!!!

Rodger Pettit in Firefly I've known for many years, when Rodger bought Firefly he didn't know it had previously been at the club, under its previous owner I've sailed Firefly winning a few races.

Hamish sailing with Rodger, is also a good sailor he normally sails a splash dinghy, his biggest handicap is he's very lightweight, if he was heavier he'd do even better.

Paul Howes , I've known for as long as I've been sailing, him and his sister are very good sailers. Been beaten by both since the days of sailing dinghies.

So where was I during the race? Well, we were at the top end of Hickling broad well beyond the bridge,  not shown on the on boat videos probably because during rounding the buoy it becomes very busy.

Sadly the rounding of the mark before Ludham bridge was not shown, its near where Karen said about sailing a 40ft boat in a sixty foot river. Why was it not shown? Because the majority of boats had been and gone while the TV crew were still at the start.

😀

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

I once had a very apologetic phone call from the brokers saying the insurance company had decided not to insure me (about a month or two into the policy). The reason? Nothing to do with believing I'm naughty or a bad driver. But because I had taken the car off the road for about a year - I wasn't able to run it (time. money and location) so had declared to the road tax people it was 'off t'road'. A bit later when things were easier, I had it serviced and got it back on the road. But despite doing everything legally, the insurance company (belatedly) decided they didn't want to insure me. The brokers had never heard of this before (I got the call from one of the partners, not a clerk or a team leader!) nor had any of the other companies I declared it to in answer to the question "have you ever had insurance refused"... universal reaction of ... um, would you mind holding please sir... [I've never heard of this before - nor has my team leader - nor has his/her manager...]! 

No TV at the moment or I'd have had a look at our new TV star (😉). Too busy playing with a different sort of Karen....

• Friendly/supportive 19

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

😃....Hamish sailing with Rodger, is also a good sailor he normally sails a splash dinghy, his biggest handicap is he's very lightweight, if he was heavier he'd do even better....

Might Rodger be a former cabin boy, per chance? 😊

• Funny 19

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Fell asleep in the easy chair this afternoon, blame it on the heat and hay fever. Watched an episode of Poirot earlier. Some scenes were shot in where I used to work, the Dagenham Civic Centre, a little alarming as it was about thirty years ago! 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I got an email (giving a months notice)  followed up by a letter stating that my insurers didn’t now have an underwriter who would renew my insurance. My present insurer had left AA Insurance panel of underwriters. Fortunately the Meerkats provided me with an acceptable quote which was actually with my present insurer LV! 
I did enquire whether it was me, my address or vehicle that caused them to stop providing cover after 41 years. I got an unhelpful email just stating they were unable to provide cover. So,I sent another email stating that after 41 years I thought I was owed an explanation, and they won’t cover my make and model of vehicle now. 

That also happened to me at last month's renewal with my insurers after 9 years contiguous cover without accident or claim; suddenly a letter saying at a month's notice, that they have decided not to offer insurance this year ("without prejudice, or it affecting my premiums elsewhere"). 

A comparison website offered several competitive quotes as replacements, but I thought the whole thing most strange, more so now I read of Tony's experience too. 🤔

Edited by Debs.
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Debs. said:

That also happened to me at last month's renewal with my insurers after 9 years contiguous cover without accident or claim; suddenly a letter saying at a month's notice, that they have decided not to offer insurance this year ("without prejudice, or it affecting my premiums elsewhere"). 

A comparison website offered several competitive quotes as replacements, but I thought the whole thing most strange, more so now I read of Tony's experience too. 🤔

The quote I got from the Meerkat site wasn’t that different to what I had paid before. It seems some insurers lump all Range Rovers together. Mine doesn’t even have keyless entry,( I have to press a button on the fob) which is a problem (allegedly) with some. I was keen to know if it was my age, postcode or vehicle as Aditi ‘s car insurance is also with the AA so hopefully she won’t have to shop around unless Ford Fiesta s become too risky to insure. Though I or Aditi  may ask if there is any multi car discount when her insurance is renewed. 
I was chatting with near neighbours and one other Evoque owner had had to change insurer for,the same reason. It would appear that getting something more exotic is the answer. My neighbours Lamborghini insurance  costs under half of mine, as does their Porsche. Their most expensive to insure car is a Fiat 500, though that may be due to a learner driver on that policy. 

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

46 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

The quote I got from the Meerkat site wasn’t that different to what I had paid before. It seems some insurers lump all Range Rovers together. Mine doesn’t even have keyless entry,( I have to press a button on the fob) which is a problem (allegedly) with some. I was keen to know if it was my age, postcode or vehicle as Aditi ‘s car insurance is also with the AA so hopefully she won’t have to shop around unless Ford Fiesta s become too risky to insure. Though I or Aditi  may ask if there is any multi car discount when her insurance is renewed. 
I was chatting with near neighbours and one other Evoque owner had had to change insurer for,the same reason. It would appear that getting something more exotic is the answer. My neighbours Lamborghini insurance  costs under half of mine, as does their Porsche. Their most expensive to insure car is a Fiat 500, though that may be due to a learner driver on that policy. 

Definitely nothing exotic about Deb's little High and Dry 🤭 

DSC_05973.JPG.ff79ec4d93b47c94731ecfe431c1f162.JPG

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Might Rodger be a former cabin boy, per chance? 😊

I assume a reference to captain Pugwash where  the characters have been renamed.

Roger the cabin boy was actually called Tom.

Likewise Master Bates was actually named Master Mate.

But good fun nevertheless

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10