The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I think you've got that confused with New Zealand mate. 😉

Aussies need the partition to take the drop bears to the Chlamydia clinic.

Yes, I did google "Sheep in the back of cars" to see what you meant but I  just got a whole lot of pictures of New Zealand families from Dunalley. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

A somewhat warm morning for here being 22C in the bedroom at dawn .

There is obviously  a conspiracy that makes us think that the temperature scale is the same all over the world when it apparently ISNT, because 22 is the setting for my air conditioner in summer overnight, and I wake up chilled and have to either turn it off or throw a blanket over myself. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 2

17 hours ago, BoD said:

Today’s mail consisted of a batch of election communication - I understand that each candidate is entitled to one free mail shot from Royal Mail

Only one for me so far - a lady from Reform UK. Not from the Postie though as this guy couldn't be bothered to use the letterbox but preferred to leave it stuffed between the front door and the frame. Instant bin fodder.

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I find the reaction of many on ER to “pollyticks” quite fascinating.

Setting aside for the moment the intriguing philosophical notion that every choice we make and every action we do is a political choice and a political action, three things emerge:

1. a disengagement from politics is a godsend to the ideologues, extremists and zealots of all political persuasions - it allows them to take control of the political narrative - with predictable outcomes.
  2. people are far too ready to slap on pejorative labels on people who deviate from the political orthodoxy of the day. (Don’t like tinned baked beans then you must be a bigot, etc. etc.)
  3. there is a lot of mendacity in the political narrative, especially when it comes to taking things out of context (so “I hate tinned baked beans, they are absolute rubbish compared with homemade baked beans from fresh ingredients” becomes “tinned baked beans…are absolute rubbish”)

So, perhaps the philosophers are right that that every choice we make and every action we do IS a political choice and IS a political action….

I think it's true that at a certain level politics permeates almost everything in life. The arts (painting, literature, music, theatre etc) have always been a vehicle for political ideas and influencing people, sport is political, politics affects what shops sell etc.

I see a similar change in politics as in business. The concept of banking, capitalism and the idea of corporations which have been battered and seen a collapse in perception because of how they have evolved. Markets went from a mechanism to provide capital and corporations from entities providing goods and services to short term speculation, obsession with shareholder value and creating money out of the ether in schemes nobody can really figure out until they crash. An unfair generalisation based on jaundiced views but there's enough evidence of corporate greed and excess for it to be a perfectly understandable position.

So in politics, at one time there was an ethos of service and an interest in policy, while elections did offer voters a choice. Now team blue and red are interchangeable on the really important issues and so play up emotive trigger issues to create an illusion of a difference which doesn't exist while their MPs are increasingly in it either for themselves or interests which aren't their voters or constituents. Image is all. I am not a fan of George Galloway, but his comment that Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer are two cheeks of the same a**e is the best summary of contemporary politics I have heard, genius. So there are reasonable reasons why people are disengaged or turn to alternative choices.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and a very Happy Anniversary to Baz and Hilary.

Sunny day here in The Land of Sutt although it may cloud over this afternoon.  20°C now and it may reach 26°C.

Parcel wrapped up to return broadband kit etc to BT.  I'm trying out the Royal Mail collection service for the first time tomorrow.

Nottalot else planned until Steve gets here at some stage when I hope he'll be able to help me with a couple of IT problems.

Grandkids are making the most of their holiday in Thailand and today are flying from Chiang Mai to Hua Hin.  I believe washing elephants is on the agenda.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, polybear said:

Some scrote reporter was even planning to release a story about the leader of the Bear Party being a "(semi) Recovering Cakeaholic".......CC soon explained the error of their ways to them, however.....

Quite so.

semi-Cakeaholic” and “recovering” are vile calumnies on the Great Beary Leader - who has never made a secret of being Cake-Positive…

CC

Edited by iL Dottore
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning afternoon everyone 

Happy anniversary to Baz and Hillary. 

I had a quick look in before I headed outside to do some work in the garden. The wheelbarrow is now full, but before I go to empty it, I thought I'd have a short rest and drink a muggertea. Max is due to come round this afternoon, so I'd better get the gardening done. 

Back later 

Brian 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

sport is political

International sport is political. The answer is to design a sport that only YOUR country plays, eg NFL in the USA, AFL in Australia.

Once the rest of the world gets involved its a slippery slope to corruption and sleazery, and  as soon as the Europeans muscle into  a sport  with their ridiculous  committees and meddling around with the  rules and so on all the fun goes out of it and  you are better off just setting  up a screen around it and putting  it out of its misery with a 12 gauge.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

My inbox reminds me that it is car insurance renewal time.  They want £405 this year.  That's a significant jump from last year.

I visited my current insurer's own website, entered identical details to my current policy and obtained a quote for £307.  The words "Thieving" and "Persons of questionable parentage" came to mind.  

I tried a couple of the comparison sites and found similar cover which would be acceptable for as little as £182.  The under-writer is not known to me and the add-ons which I normally add on take the premium to above £500!!!  

To level the playing field the quotes referred to above also include add-ons.  I opt for a zero excess policy with windscreen, breakdown, home-start and hire-car cover plus No-Claims protection.  Some policies include some of those features as standard, some offer most or all of them as add-ons at additional cost.  Buyer beware.  

I then located my current insurer on the comparison site and entered details matching the current policy.  £385.  Still lower than the automated renewal quote. 

Both our major motoring organisations offer insurance so I tried them through the comparison site.  AA cover was inferior to RAC and at a slightly higher premium but both just below £300.  I tried their own sites and was unable to match exact details at the AA but closely similar details generated a quote of £309 with add-ons bringing that to £367.  RAC online (not via comparisons) came to £278 inclusive of the required add-ons.  

Guess who got my renewal.  

As always if one has the time and inclination it pays to shop around.  And for what it's worth when one takes off the value of those add-ons when separately-priced my comprehensive policy is still coming in at a little over £100.  Or £198 with the add-ons then effectively discounted making up the other £80 of which the lion's share is of course breakdown cover.  

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

Happy anniversary to Baz and Hillary. 

You get less for terminating someone's existence in a premeditated manner! 

Happy Anniversary 🍾

• Like 11
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

My inbox reminds me that it is car insurance renewal time.  They want £405 this year.  That's a significant jump from last year.

I visited my current insurer's own website, entered identical details to my current policy and obtained a quote for £307.  The words "Thieving" and "Persons of questionable parentage" came to mind.  

I tried a couple of the comparison sites and found similar cover which would be acceptable for as little as £182.  The under-writer is not known to me and the add-ons which I normally add on take the premium to above £500!!!  

To level the playing field the quotes referred to above also include add-ons.  I opt for a zero excess policy with windscreen, breakdown, home-start and hire-car cover plus No-Claims protection.  Some policies include some of those features as standard, some offer most or all of them as add-ons at additional cost.  Buyer beware.  

I then located my current insurer on the comparison site and entered details matching the current policy.  £385.  Still lower than the automated renewal quote. 

Both our major motoring organisations offer insurance so I tried them through the comparison site.  AA cover was inferior to RAC and at a slightly higher premium but both just below £300.  I tried their own sites and was unable to match exact details at the AA but closely similar details generated a quote of £309 with add-ons bringing that to £367.  RAC online (not via comparisons) came to £278 inclusive of the required add-ons.  

As always if one has the time and inclination it pays to shop around.  And for what it's worth when one takes off the value of those add-ons when separately-priced my comprehensive policy is still coming in at a little over £100.  Or £198 with the add-ons then effectively discounted making up the other £80 of which the lion's share is of course breakdown cover.  

There's also a "sweet-spot" day for getting quotes - leave it late and the price goes up.....

(The Moneysaving Expert website tells all)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

They rely on the victim's customers apathy ....   Martin Lewis is always saying that the optimum point to renew insurance is ~23 days before the policy expires.

I concur with your phrase.

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Good after moaning from the Charente.  The market has been visited and lunch consumed.  Some DIY awaits but at least it isn't raining and it's warm. 

Happy Anniversary to the Baz's.  You obviously got married three weeks after us.  I think we were just getting back from our honeymoon on this date 45 years ago. 

Regards to all. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just spent a couple of hours watching the Yesterday channel about things that run on parallel strips of metal propelled by boiling water. Nothing much else on TV, ping-pong on grass or kick ball  so I'm looking for some other programs. Another interesting program was about spying in WW2. The Nazi's set up a brothel in Berlin just before the war started employing girls specially trained to encourage patrons to talk. There were hidden microphones leading to SS headquarters where everything was recorded.  A British spy (posing as a Romanian businessman) realised what was going on and arranged for the line from the brothel to be tapped.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_Kitty

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

It is our 45th Wedding Anniversary today.. I must be due for parole!!!

We are eating at a local family run Italian Restaurant later.. don't upset the owners..  they are Sicilians!

More paintwork completed yesterday.. a rest day is scheduled for today.

If you think trains in Britain are bad.. well compared to DB they are wonderful. I must be lucky as I haven't needed to get on a rail replacement bus.. ever... despite Dr Beeching and his axe we do still have a lot of railways in Britain (in 2021 we had 4 times as much track as Switzerland for example).

So..Time for my tea!

Baz

Firstly, Happy Anniversary to @Barry O and Hillary. Enjoy your day.

Just as well you are not in this part of the world.

Arriving in Chester our tr**n into Wales was delayed and a bus service was put on. Not a bad journey, just not the one we were expecting! This was at least four years ago....

Also, travelling to London Euston, these days, can entail changes at both Chester and Crewe, and if you are really lucky, on the return, you can change at Crewe, Chester and Llandudno Junction, with a direct Wales service bus to Bangor to boot! This is a Saturday service. I have not checked out Mon-Fri options.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2