The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

An actual Ford Falcon XY GTHO Phase 3 will cost you close to £500,000 equivalent, it is the most desirable of the 60's and 70's Australian muscle cars. Similarly the Biante  1/18th scale version is also a desirable collectible , especially the rare "twin mirror" model.  The model was initially released with a rear view mirror on the passengers side as well as the drivers, but it was pointed out to the manufacturers that it shouldn't be there because the original didn't have one. So the mistake was fixed early on in the production run but some got out there and now  fetch big prices.  (£1850 in this case...)

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/204769611270?chn=ps&_ul=AU&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1bkjq0KkrRRm-CHCwigIUBg8&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=204769611270&targetid=1598469861518&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9071950&poi=9071696&campaignid=21179485915&mkgroupid=160762565013&rlsatarget=pla-1598469861518&abcId=9404057&merchantid=7364522&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwydSzBhBOEiwAj0XN4DULUHfDtV7bISkY-n_3AWo1jXw3iBZs0YMe4woiSW5ecrHEyuMmhBoCFLwQAvD_BwE

It hasn't sold yet though.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here....

The Sander is in bits.....

image.png.a07c215d29b9f6b6f8e74c075ec4d9c4.png

- the thread in the left-hand (bottom) end of the motor armature is fubar'd.....but it's not now 😃; the shaft was drilled (5.2mm) & tapped and an M5 Helicoil Insert fitted.  Then all the bits got a squirt of H.P. Air from Charlie the Compressor (a big one - that lives in the sh*d) in order to blow the sawdust away.  Big Tick. 

All I need to do now is figure out how it all goes back together again, ideally without any bits left over.....

BG

Edited by polybear
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, polybear said:

It hasn't sold yet though.....

One went for £1700 back in May, so he is in no hurry. 

Hows that  bike sale going?😛

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 4
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, polybear said:

I see that the Chief Constable of Northamptonshire Plod has been booted out (and barred) for Gross Misconduct - for being a ********* 

Amongst his stunts were wearing a Falklands Medal - even though he was only 15 at the time; he claimed his older brother gave it to him - but it was only applied for in Oct 2023 and was proven to be a fake anyway.

Apparently he was grassed upon by his ex-wife.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently he was grassed upon by his ex-wife.

Not a good move by her, it might reduce any proceedings from the divorce...

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just popped into my e-mail*, a short break in the Isle of Man (four nights BB & EM). Including trips on the three principle railways starting at just over £500 (single room £79 extra) I might go in for that as it's one more thing to tick off my bucket list. 

*For some reason I can't copy and post the details but the company is Shearings.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

starting at just over £500 (single room £79 extra)

What is the cheaper option than paying for  a single room - sleeping in your car??

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Just popped into my e-mail*, a short break in the Isle of Man (four nights BB & EM). Including trips on the three principle railways starting at just over £500 (single room £79 extra) I might go in for that as it's one more thing to tick off my bucket list. 

*For some reason I can't copy and post the details but the company is Shearings.

Something adjacent to this?

https://www.shearings.com/holidays/railway-journeys-of-the-isle-of-man

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Train sets used to be either for the very young or the very old, but the new high-end kit — including smoke machines, tiny instrument panels and bespoke livery options — has widened their appeal

Quoted from the article:

Nicolson, who prefers to be known as Francis Bourgeois

My emphasis. Are they taking the pi$$?

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I like the bit at the end about needing planning permission for a live steam garden railway. "You don't need planning permission for a layout on the dining room table." Don't you? but you need permission from SWMBO which is far more difficult than dealing with any planning authority.

That is not a problem, active encouragement to provide but the " When am I going to see t****s running" is  ... no realisation that it takes more than a few weeks ...  Historically the last home one - before the move - although did reach some runnig - did not get anywhere near completion and one of the reasons was the amount of time spent on the main club layout scenery over a number of years.  Changes have happened but predominantly most still remains so time well spent.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

5 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

When researching for prices for second-hand Lego (an attempt at a childhood toys clear-out) I saw several listings for empty boxes at £70-80! Not for me... 

Unlike model railways where *most* people keep the boxes, almost no one who opens a LEGO box and plays with the contents will keep it. I do. (My garage is full of brown cardboard boxes containing empty LEGO boxes.) But of course I won't sell them.

Like any set of collectors, LEGO collectors are fickle. Certain sets appeal more than others - if they have achieved some sort of cult status - like those from the early "themes" like Castle, Pirates and Space. Inevitably it is the ones produced in very small numbers - like minifigures made for a specific Comic Convention that are amongst the most prized.

• Like 15

20 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Known as Frank Richpr!ck by his Australian relos.

I'm presuming that the only model railway enthusiast a Times reporter would deign to interview is one who styles himself with the name "Bourgeois".

Or at least the only one happy to embrace the 1980s Yuppie* motto of "How much may I spend ?"** congruent with the author's intent for the article.

* Substitute "Sloane Ranger" etc as you will.

** For the purpose of impressing others

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

As it was fine and warm I decided to go out this morning so made a flask of coffee and packed a picnic.  Loading the car with cameras, picnic and jacket in case the wind was cool took moments then I set off to brave the A1 Western Bypass (or part of it) round Newcastle and Gateshead.  It turned out to be an easy journey and this time I was in the correct lane when three lanes become two to cross the Tyne.  Straight after that I turned off to head for Whickham which has a long 20mph limit.  Before I got that far I was stranded for a few moments in a yellow box junction when the clown in front of me decided to stop well back from the turning point for his right turn, he could actually have gone as there was space.

After about 40 minutes I arrived at my destination, Andrew's House and Marley Hill with their nice grassy free car park.  I had gone to see a "Legends of Industry" Gala with things powered by steam and diesel at the Tanfield Railway.  The railway is 199 years old this year.  I had a very pleasant time wandering around taking photos and  I met an old friend, Ernie Brack, and we had a good chat.  

I managed to buy only one book, one I actually wanted in the Middleton Press series, second hand in mint condition and signed by the author.

I came home during the afternoon and had an even easier journey, according to the car it did 124mpg on the journey home.

I've sorted out all the photos, soon it will be tea time then greenhouse watering and a mix of music and TV.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

One went for £1700 back in May, so he is in no hurry. 

Hows that  bike sale going?😛

B1tch.....

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Not a good move by her, it might reduce any proceedings from the divorce...

They split in 2002 so presumably she had her wedge long ago.  Not sure if she'd be entitled to any of his pension that he might not get now.....

It seems he's up for a second investigation regarding possibly having his paws in the Till.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Well..a day of surprises.

Saw GP. He took a photo of a mark on my foot with my phone camera. I need to keep an eye on it.. then he noticed that I haven't had various blood tests for a long ggg ggg time. These are now organised as is a return visit to see him.

Then, went and bought some wood paint for the garden furniture/gate/fences.

Mended the gate then.. 

IMG-20240621-WA0005.jpeg.37c2e824f8d768d9dd10b0285235029b.jpeg

Paint applied.

Now just a tad tired!

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Evenin' each,

Following recommendations on here we decided to try one of those Crusty Molecular Pizzas tonight instead of our usual Chicago Town/Dr. Oetker/Goodfella's etc. Went for a Stromboli Spicy Salami and I must admit I really liked it but The Boss found it a bit too spicy for her (she doesn't really do spicy).  It seems we'll go back to Chicago Town Tiger Crust next week as Ocado are offering 2 for £4 instead of the usual £3.50 each.  However I will definitely have another bash at The Crusty one.

On Tuesday we went to the Motor Museum at Beaulieu.  Not been for years and really enjoyed looking at some of the lovely old vehicles there.   Some nice bikes as well, far too many to post or even photograph but a couple made me think of some of you guys.

@polybearHondas for Bear

image.png.9497f05860400717c80ca2c4fd577560.pngimage.png.094e600d3efbd83cab0f8cde44819827.png

@New Haven Neil Manx Norton and Mike Hailwood Honda For Neil:

image.png.561068b2e70491a51d8e32a9ca463c7c.pngimage.png.c6007271606fc30360577a6ede0663c9.png

@Sidecar Racer  And especially for you Mike:

image.png.01acdd658869f2d01bc3209020d5cf27.pngimage.png.85e4de822ceca6d6fd0897be02e509e6.png

Time for another glass of  Malbec I think.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Unlike model railways where *most* people keep the boxes, almost no one who opens a LEGO box and plays with the contents will keep it. I do. (My garage is full of brown cardboard boxes containing empty LEGO boxes.) But of course I won't sell them. ...

Yup - I played (oh boy, did I play) with the contents... 

I usually built the kit, whatever it was, according to the instructions - then took it apart and either rebuilt or used the bits for another scheme. I was looking at the Lego Pirates range, wondering how much the ships might fetch. My eyes were opened by the people offering empty boxes of Captain Redbeard's brig at £70-80 - at first I thought that was the figure for the complete article - i.e. including those multi-coloured plastic bricks... nope... crikey. Or words to that effect. Definitely E-bay madness territory. Then I found a site with models built by 'adult Lego builders/fans' - some of which were seriously impressive. I thought I'd done alright as a schoolboy, doing a 'Hawkins' razee job on the pirate brig and turning it into a flush decked RN type gunbrig but some adult modellers have spent £Ks and some seriously intense thought on their models. 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The British have been effectively brainwashed by the supermarkets to believe they have neither the time or the skills to create good food from raw ingredients, which helps explain why Britain has such a high consumption of UPF (about 57% of the daily diet, rising to about 80% in younger people). There is also a considerable amount of inverse snobbism around food in Britain; with a love of good food and quality ingredients often being considered as something for “posh people” or – worse – “pretentious”. Which doesn’t help (an inverse snobbism not seen in countries like Italy, France or Spain - where all classes cherish and prize good food).

Let’s be blunt here: there have been numerous posts on ER from various participants complaining about the difficulties of getting prompt and effective treatment on the NHS. Given that the NHS itself has stated that a good 60% of its budget goes on treating potentially avoidable “lifestyle” diseases (i.e. diseases caused by poor diet and lack of exercise), perhaps people would start to realise that with a better diet (and exercise) there will be fewer patients with “lifestyle“ disease for the NHS to treat, and therefore more NHS money and resources to treat other illness, injury and disease.

Guilty as charged m’lud.

It wasn’t until I retired and then was diagnosed with pre-diabetes that I started to cook my own food.  I was surprised to find that I actually enjoyed doing it. I will never achieve a Michelin star or even come close to the standard set by @iL Dottore (in fact I’m happy if I don’t cut myself) but there is something most satisfying about doing it myself from fresh ingredients*.  I do a mean Biryani and Valerie really enjoys my Asparagus, pea and spring onion risotto.

I’m not quite sure that the suggestion that  prep and cooking takes less time than the ready prepared stuff is true, but who cares if you have the time**  and enjoy doing it. As I’ve said, non of my stuff  would pass muster in a Gordon Blue restaurant or with the equivalent meal prepared in traditional ways but we enjoy them and my Hb1Ac is well under control.

* Of course when we were young everything was fresh, if you could call the potatoes used for chips and the onions in the Steak and onion suet puddings fresh.  Having said that, there was always fresh vegetables with every meal, and we were thin.

** and the time, whatever we may say, for the purchase, prep and cooking from scratch, is a key factor for many of those trying to juggle jobs, life etc just to pay the rent and bills.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

.... Following recommendations on here we decided to try one of those Crusty Molecular Pizzas tonight instead of our usual Chicago Town/Dr. Oetker/Goodfella's etc. Went for a Stromboli Spicy Salami and I must admit I really liked it but The Boss found it a bit too spicy for her (she doesn't really do spicy).  ....

Pizza night earlier and I too tried that brand, shared a Stromboli and a Rustica with a friend, half each. I liked both, spicy (but not too much) and savoury respectively. If I have a proprietary pizza rather than making one up myself, I normally have another brand but have had some Dr O's and know what they taste like. I preferred the C&M but my friend reckoned the Dr O varieties were better. Though my home-made ones are apparently still top of the pile tastewise. 

• Like 15