The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here's an actual song this time ,   hot off the presses . They all seem very happy - definitely happier than if they were under the thumb of "Hang Em all High and let the crows sort them out  @polybear".

I've worked for the Australian Defence Force for almost 30 years and I've never seen  it at anytime break out in joyful singing and dancing like the Nth  Korean one does.

They've all been promised a free entry into the food lottery for looking happy?

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

Not much is planned for today except to go and see a Spanish Galeon (their spelling) which is moored at the Quayside.  I don't think there is a time warp, it is a replica.

What some prankster needs to do is sail some model yachts up to the "Galeon" with electronic tealights* on deck.

* So they don't actually do what Drake intended while the Armada was anchored at Calais....

Edited by Hroth
spelin
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Cricket was umpired... NO RAIN!

Busy railway line at South Wingfield by the cricket ground.. lots of EMR trains and some vintage trains as well. Me.. I was watching the game.. honest gov!

Nice tea as well. Got back to Leeds to be told it had rained all day.

Time for a shark deployment...

Stay safe!

Baz

I do hope that nobody thought that they'd been given out when you waved at a train driver. 

Jamie

• Like 10
  • Funny 8

48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

What some prankster needs to do is sail some model yachts up to the "Galeon" with electronic tealights* on deck.

* So they don't actually do what Drake intended while the Armada was anchored at Calais....

Its not too soon, is it?

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

The Slug explosion was a news item on the BBC news yesterday.

"I never saw such cauliflower carnage! Worse than the Great Slug Blight of '32. When there were slugs the size of pigs." 

Mr Growbag from Wallace & Gromit; the Curse of the Were-Rabbit

• Like 3
  • Funny 13

22 hours ago, polybear said:

Zurich’s cantonal police stopped four UK nationals who were speeding on a Swiss motorway in their sports cars.

The police received several calls from other motorists saying  that four sports car were driving “at extremely high speeds” on the A1 motorway in the direction of Bern.

Police patrol units intercepted the offenders, who turned out to be tourists from the UK, near the municipality of Würenlos.

They were reportedly driving at over 200 km/h, which is 80 km/h over the posted speed limit.

The speeders, aged between 25 and 50, were arrested and their vehicles confiscated.

“After being questioned by the police, the four men were handed over to the public prosecutor's office,” Zurich police said in a press release. 

They are now awaiting sentencing and to find out how much they will have to pay to get their vehicles back and whether they will actually be allowed to drive them home.

What kind of penalties await the speeders?

According to the Swiss Road Traffic Act, driving at 200 km/h in a 120-km/h zone (the usual speed limit on the country’s motorways) is considered a serious infraction, which can result in license revocation, though this applies to residents of Switzerland only.

However, motorists caught  ‘seriously’ speeding on Swiss roads will be slapped with a fine of at least several hundred francs (and in many cases even more), in addition to court fees. The fine can also be converted into a jail sentence, if offenders can't, or choose not to, pay.

The four men will eventually return to the UK (though, unlike their driving, Swiss justice system moves slowly), but consequences for those residing in Switzerland can be even more dire"

The Bathurst Mount Panorama circuit is a public road apart from 5 times a year when its used as a racetrack. It  has a 60kmh limit on it every other day of the year, but it is such a magnet for those trying to relive the Bathurst race that the police have an almost permanent setup on Conrod straight in order  to get those that think they can give the 325kmh speed record down there a nudge in their roadgoing car.

For those who REALLY want to get pinged by the cops, choose a holiday weekend like the one just gone (The @iL Dottorebirthday weekend) when double demerit points just increase the certainty that theHighway Patrol  will be lurking around every bend and fast straight section.

Setting up a speed trap on Conrod straight on a long weekend is just shooting fish in a barrel.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/maserati-caught-bathurst-triple-limit/

The monetary  fine isn't mentioned in the link but as well as losing his cars registration papers for 3 months the fine will be in the order of £1850 if convicted of all charges. He'll also have to transport his car back the 3750km from Bathurst back to Perth.   ( it is a large country we have  here!) 

Given that he cant drive it he'll need a car transporter.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I'm in! As well as the chance to get a chest full of medals if I play my cards right  it looks like an all-round  banging place!

Freddie Mercury must've been rolling over in his (hypothetical - ashes scattered to unknown location) grave!!! 😀

Since no-one posted it, and it's one of my favourite Queen videos, I offer for your optional viewing pleasure...

HUMP day.

Nothing of note to report from yesterday, we got an inch of rain in about 30 minutes at tea time and that's it!

This evening we're off to see a WNBA Lynx game with the Mrs niece and her partner. There's a general uptick in attendance for womens basketball and we've been toying with the idea of going to a few games, so it was a pleasant surprise when they invited us to attend with them - also a bonus, they're paying for the tickets AND driving downtown - result 👍😀

14c first thing, cloudy and expecting some showers today, high of 21c expected.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

It  adds 28KW to my power output........

38HP in proper money, according to Alexa.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

38HP in proper money, according to Alexa.

What is that in nanoDeltics?

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

The Spanish ship, Galeon Andalucia, does trips where for a few hundred Euros you can go on a journey between 2 ports.  It was interesting to see how relatively primitive ships were in those days.  I am assuming the cannons she has on board are replicas.  

Have you visited the National Museum of The Royal Navy and HMS Tincomalee at Hartlepool marina?  Well worth a visit.

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

From some recent posts above, I see the fabled “Lost Episodes” of Monty Python’s Flying Circus have actually been found!

(Edit.

PS - Will they do “Sing Little Birdie” next?

PPS - Did they pay royalties to Queen?)

Edited by pH
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, BoD said:

What is that in nanoDeltics?

38 divided by 3300**, so:

0.0115 nanoDeltics.

Apparently...assuming the Wikinumbers are correct.

(**1650HP x 2 Engines)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I set out in pursuit of my prescription just after lunch only to discover that it wasn't ready, the doctor hadn't got round to signing it. Now it looks as if it won't be filled until tomorrow afternoon, TC's. 

I then went to Tess Coes because I was completely out of bread, got a few other things as well but now I'm pooped.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Bathurst Mount Panorama circuit is a public road apart from 5 times a year when its used as a racetrack. It  has a 60kmh limit on it every other day of the year, but it is such a magnet for those trying to relive the Bathurst race that the police have an almost permanent setup on Conrod straight in order  to get those that think they can give the 325kmh speed record down there a nudge in their roadgoing car.

I'm guessing that the trap is set for people speeding in the usual race direction , so can't you

do a trick on them and go in the other direction , pass the trap and then boot it up the hill , you

wont get the same speed but it's still a middle finger to the Police .    😆

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

I see the children have been stealing stuff from the art cupboard again.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw44mdee0zzo

These scrotes that decide they should damage and deface any and all art forms and historical items need some serious punishment IMHO.

Flogging seems appropriate to me. Maybe they should publish their addresses and folks can go and exact the same "services" on their property!!!

• Like 3
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4