The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

Before the dreaded B election, I made the point on another forum, which allowed political discussion, that people should be prepared to accept the result and not try to overturn by calling foul. That was mainly because that bloke who's popped up again in reform was already calling foul. I was probably feeding off Alec Salmond's "neverendum" statements for Scotland.

So the next morning I was kind of hoisted by my own petard. 

The democratic will of the people spoke. I wish it hadn't but here we are!

My sentiments exactly. One of the dangers facing us is the concept that we will only accept electroral outcomes we agree with. A functioning democratic process demands that we accept the outcomes of elections. We don't have to like or agree ith them, and if we're really annoyed then start working on ways to get a different result next time but once people start ignoring election results because they don't like them then the whole system will break down.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

Now back from the dental hygienist and given a clean bill of health, in fact, an issue highlighted by my dentist 3 months ago has now been resolved, so it’s just a case of carry on doing what I’m doing. I’ve just had notification that my package is on its way. Breakfast has now been consumed and one large muggertea finished. So I'm now about to make myself a muggertea to take downstairs and await it’s arrival. 

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jjb1970 said:

My sentiments exactly. One of the dangers facing us is the concept that we will only accept electroral outcomes we agree with. A functioning democratic process demands that we accept the outcomes of elections. We don't have to like or agree ith them, and if we're really annoyed then start working on ways to get a different result next time but once people start ignoring election results because they don't like them then the whole system will break down.

As Trump did and caused chaos. I wonder if he'd dare pull the same stunt again if he loses by a similar narrow margin. The big difference is that now he cannot claim presidential immunity so would he dare.

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

Been to see sister Drac - now awaiting the first exam board which is online

Sunny earlier, greyed over now - later I will be mowing the lawn as it's garden waste tomorrow.

Exciting, innit?

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Morning all 

It is dull and grey up here somewhere in the top right hand corner of England.

In line with what appears to be the phrase 'de jour' can I just state that any future modelling projects I may have, have been fully costed.

Of course you and I, being fellow muddlers,  know that this means **** all.

Any resemblance to real life situations is purely coincidental.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Blue welkin this morning as far as I can see but cloud promised for later. According to weather predictions summer will arrive next week but how long it will stay is anybody's guess. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, DaveF said:

An early start on this very grey and humid morning, everything feels damp.  Asda delivered the groceries right at the start of the time slot.  Having ordered a small pack of strawberries and some other fruit I now have two very large packs so some will be donated to neighbours.  I will be trying lactose free milk and oat "milk" over the next few days to see what they are like, along with lactose free yoghurt.  I hope my gut returns to normal soon.

Another volunteer I met a week or so ago is down for gall bladder removal; the list of foods he can't eat is horrific - forget eating out, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

As Trump did and caused chaos. I wonder if he'd dare pull the same stunt again if he loses by a similar narrow margin. The big difference is that now he cannot claim presidential immunity so would he dare.

He's dumb enough to try.

ION....

Mickey is gleaming once more - that's a Tick.  And yes, it does feel rather good.

And finally.....

More calls/emails/texts regarding the repair to Mickey; I was under the impression they were going to give Bear a selection of "approved" Bodyshops to choose from, but no - they've allocated the job to one already.  I'm looking at that at the moment....

BG

• Like 16

The RAF seem busy today at least four jet fighters just gone over our village, normally we might see that number in a week going to or from Lossiemouth.

Been out playing with my new action camera just up the coast from us.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Any idea what the signal flag being flown by the lighthouse sculpture means?  Its not a recognisable maritime signal flag!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

They gave Winston the "order of the boot"* in 1945 - only to elect him (for the first time) in 1951.

* His oblique reference to receiving the Order of the Garter for services rendered after losing his first election as PM.

Voters are fickle. And fractious.

Indeed. One Labour MP (after being voted out) was caught remarking “the voters have spoken - the b******s

But what are the alternatives to democracy? I think that few would want a theocracy (as much as some religious groups wish it were so) - I don’t think many Brits would take kindly to being told what to do and what not to do according to a very narrow, and highly selective, interpretation of just one of the very many “holy books”.

A benign dictatorship, whereby one individual, enlightened, wise and benevolent, has absolute power and uses it for the betterment of the citizens is a nice tidy option. But even if there IS such an individual, what about his or her successors? The likelihood of having two enlightened, wise and benevolent individuals in a row is highly unlikely.

Which brings me to authoritarianism and dictatorships (and sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference). These can be very successful, certainly in the short term. Authoritarianism/dictatorships work best when you have a well defined out-group - preferably one that is already on the margins of society - upon which to dump the ills of society. And once you have a significant part of the population saying things like “iL Generalissimo iD sometimes goes a bit too far, but he does have the right idea about baked bean eaters“ you know your strategy has worked,  The alternative successful dictatorship strategy is to have a dictatorship that is so brutal and repressive that there actually is no opposition of even minimal capability to the supreme ruler (e.g North Korea). Many authoritarian regimes in the Middle East are much closer to the North Korean ideal than they would prefer to admit.

i’m not sure whether Census Democracy is a good idea or not. On paper, restricting the vote and participation in the process of democracy to a selected part of the nation’s population that meet certain criteria, has potential for a well functioning state. If this Census Democracy is along the lines of an Athenian democracy, the right to vote and participate in the democratic process will be restricted to those who have invested into the well-being of the state: by being property owners, by having served the country in the military (or similar) being of sound mind and of good moral character. One of the positive aspects of this sort of democracy is that really excessive spending plans – often voted for in western democracies because in the eyes of many “somebody else is paying“.  And one of the negative aspects of such a democracy is that it can cultivate an “we’re in it for ourselves “and “jobbies for the boys“ mentality. It is also has the drawback of excluding from the democratic process a lot of potential talent.

No, we’re stuck with democracy from universal suffrage, and as long as we keep to the written (and unwritten) rules, we’ll muddle along fairly successfully.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

A benign dictatorship, whereby one individual, enlightened, wise and benevolent, has absolute power and uses it for the betterment of the citizens is a nice tidy option. But even if there IS such an individual, what about his or her successors? 

You called?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 16

38 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Indeed. One Labour MP (after being voted out) was caught remarking “the voters have spoken - the b******s

But what are the alternatives to democracy? I think that few would want a theocracy (as much as some religious groups wish it were so) - I don’t think many Brits would take kindly to being told what to do and what not to do according to a very narrow, and highly selective, interpretation of just one of the very many “holy books”.

A benign dictatorship, whereby one individual, enlightened, wise and benevolent, has absolute power and uses it for the betterment of the citizens is a nice tidy option. But even if there IS such an individual, what about his or her successors? The likelihood of having two enlightened, wise and benevolent individuals in a row is highly unlikely.

Which brings me to authoritarianism and dictatorships (and sometimes it’s hard to tell the difference). These can be very successful, certainly in the short term. Authoritarianism/dictatorships work best when you have a well defined out-group - preferably one that is already on the margins of society - upon which to dump the ills of society. And once you have a significant part of the population saying things like “iL Generalissimo iD sometimes goes a bit too far, but he does have the right idea about baked bean eaters“ you know your strategy has worked,  The alternative successful dictatorship strategy is to have a dictatorship that is so brutal and repressive that there actually is no opposition of even minimal capability to the supreme ruler (e.g North Korea). Many authoritarian regimes in the Middle East are much closer to the North Korean ideal than they would prefer to admit.

i’m not sure whether Census Democracy is a good idea or not. On paper, restricting the vote and participation in the process of democracy to a selected part of the nation’s population that meet certain criteria, has potential for a well functioning state. If this Census Democracy is along the lines of an Athenian democracy, the right to vote and participate in the democratic process will be restricted to those who have invested into the well-being of the state: by being property owners, by having served the country in the military (or similar) being of sound mind and of good moral character. One of the positive aspects of this sort of democracy is that really excessive spending plans – often voted for in western democracies because in the eyes of many “somebody else is paying“.  And one of the negative aspects of such a democracy is that it can cultivate an “we’re in it for ourselves “and “jobbies for the boys“ mentality. It is also has the drawback of excluding from the democratic process a lot of potential talent.

No, we’re stuck with democracy from universal suffrage, and as long as we keep to the written (and unwritten) rules, we’ll muddle along fairly successfully.

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"

a certain Mr Churchill, quoting someone (nobody knows who).

• Like 6
  • Agree 9

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Any idea what the signal flag being flown by the lighthouse sculpture means?  Its not a recognisable maritime signal flag!

Support for Ukraine is my guess.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You are Kim Jong Bear and I claim my rightful share of The Worker's Paradise

_314a6d13-ccc9-4c4b-9273-5b07d3c405d9.jpg.c2f8fcbe47fb6a607f840cbc2e54ead9.jpg

Good lord!

The Apparatchicks ALL look like Chalky, the schoolteacher in Giles cartoons...

Chalkie.jpg.d71c06fef655a0dd8a8cd40adf0043fd.jpg

Spooky!!!

• Like 15
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Well it seems that whoever it was at the Insurance Repair Agents who told Bear that I could choose one of their authorised repair agents was givin' me duff gen.....

I can select my own Bodyshop of course - but then it becomes "somewhat more complicated" and I won't have any comeback against the Insurer if I have problems.

So I've just had a journey over to the Bodyshop (not far away) so their Chief Fixer could take a ganders at the damage and take a few photos; it seems that "they know all about MG Body Panel availability" (or lack of....) and they'll call me when they've got (hopefully all) the bits - there's always that risk that they discover extra busted bits as they take Mickey to bits.  Still, it'll be Mr. B'sterds insurance company that gets the bill for the hire car, not this Bear 🤣

ION.....

This is in the news - it seems that CC's Minions have been busy earning yet more Deltics for their esteemed Leader:

"Zurich’s cantonal police stopped four UK nationals who were speeding on a Swiss motorway in their sports cars.

The police received several calls from other motorists saying  that four sports car were driving “at extremely high speeds” on the A1 motorway in the direction of Bern.

Police patrol units intercepted the offenders, who turned out to be tourists from the UK, near the municipality of Würenlos.

They were reportedly driving at over 200 km/h, which is 80 km/h over the posted speed limit.

The speeders, aged between 25 and 50, were arrested and their vehicles confiscated.

“After being questioned by the police, the four men were handed over to the public prosecutor's office,” Zurich police said in a press release. 

They are now awaiting sentencing and to find out how much they will have to pay to get their vehicles back and whether they will actually be allowed to drive them home.

What kind of penalties await the speeders?

According to the Swiss Road Traffic Act, driving at 200 km/h in a 120-km/h zone (the usual speed limit on the country’s motorways) is considered a serious infraction, which can result in license revocation, though this applies to residents of Switzerland only.

However, motorists caught  ‘seriously’ speeding on Swiss roads will be slapped with a fine of at least several hundred francs (and in many cases even more), in addition to court fees. The fine can also be converted into a jail sentence, if offenders can't, or choose not to, pay.

The four men will eventually return to the UK (though, unlike their driving, Swiss justice system moves slowly), but consequences for those residing in Switzerland can be even more dire"

BG

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

5 minutes ago, polybear said:

This is in the news - it seems that CC's Minions have been busy earning yet more Deltics for their esteemed Leader:

"Zurich’s cantonal police stopped four UK nationals who were speeding on a Swiss motorway in their sports cars.

The police received several calls from other motorists saying  that four sports car were driving “at extremely high speeds” on the A1 motorway in the direction of Bern.

Police patrol units intercepted the offenders, who turned out to be tourists from the UK, near the municipality of Würenlos.

They were reportedly driving at over 200 km/h, which is 80 km/h over the posted speed limit.

The speeders, aged between 25 and 50, were arrested and their vehicles confiscated.

“After being questioned by the police, the four men were handed over to the public prosecutor's office,” Zurich police said in a press release. 

They are now awaiting sentencing and to find out how much they will have to pay to get their vehicles back and whether they will actually be allowed to drive them home.

What kind of penalties await the speeders?

According to the Swiss Road Traffic Act, driving at 200 km/h in a 120-km/h zone (the usual speed limit on the country’s motorways) is considered a serious infraction, which can result in license revocation, though this applies to residents of Switzerland only.

However, motorists caught  ‘seriously’ speeding on Swiss roads will be slapped with a fine of at least several hundred francs (and in many cases even more), in addition to court fees. The fine can also be converted into a jail sentence, if offenders can't, or choose not to, pay.

The four men will eventually return to the UK (though, unlike their driving, Swiss justice system moves slowly), but consequences for those residing in Switzerland can be even more dire"

BG

The Swiss don't muck about when it comes to speeding tickets (especially if the speeding can be construed as reckless, as in this case)....

In 2010, a Swedish driver, 37, was fined a whopping 1.08 million Swiss francs (£957,000 / $1.2 million) in what is believed to be the largest speeding fine in the world. The Swedish driver, whose Mercedes had a disconnected speedometer, was caught doing 125mph in a 20mph zone.  The man's Mercedes SLS AMG was impounded along with his driving licence after he was caught in Switzerland racing between Bern and Lausanne.

Like Finland, Switzerland calculates the level of the fine according to a person's income.

A bit more robust than £100 and 3 penalty points....

Matching fine to income could become a nice little earner for the UK government (especially if the offending vehicle - if caught doing over a set amount - is impounded, confiscated and then sold at auction [or sold back to the owner at a hefty mark-up])

Certain London boroughs would make a fortune....

• Like 4
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5