The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Miles are still used in the UK. Speedometers and mileometers in vehicles are calibrated by law in miles, speed limits at the roadside and marked on the road are indicated in MPH.  This is in 2024, not 1950, so calm down.

But continued use of customary units in these contexts is only possible because 1 inch = 25.4 mm by definition.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Furlongs???

If it's good enough for cricket (ten runs to the furlong) and the railways (which still measure in chains and furlongs) ..... and India measures in furlongs as in "Yes, it is being three furlongs that way"  

Next question.  

Why is 4d considered dirty?  A groat was worth 4d but is also a term used to denote something less than adequately hygienic.  As in "he's a real groat"   

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

But continued use of customary units in these contexts is only possible because 1 inch = 25.4 mm by definition.

It would all be so much easier if you could just say that 1 inch = 0.0011990407673861 pD(OTB). *

prototypeDeltic (Over The Buffers)

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 9

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Miles are still used in the UK. Speedometers and mileometers in vehicles are calibrated by law in miles, speed limits at the roadside and marked on the road are indicated in MPH. 

I remember being pulled over by The Law one night in 1983 because I had committed the crime of overtaking them on a dual carriage roadway despite them going less than the speed limit and me making sure I was exactly on it. 

The officer decamped from his Divvy van and  approached my vehicle on foot from a westerly direction then poked his head into my window and asked me what speed I believed I'd been doing.

My car being from the  pre-metric era had the speedo in miles, but I knew what the 80kmh speed limit was in mph.

"I was doing 49 miles per hour" I replied to which he said "You do realise the speed along here is 80 kilometres an hour, NOT 49 miles an hour!" He then told me that I'd brought suspicion on myself because my car was bright  yellow and the kind of car that attracts  police attention,

12_cropped.JPG.32aae395da97475ffa7568c41e0a04a3.JPG

but because I was polite he let me get away with it.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Why is 4d considered dirty?  A groat was worth 4d but is also a term used to denote something less than adequately hygienic.  As in "he's a real groat"   

According to my late father, in manorial court rolls of the 14th and 15th centuries that he had transcribed, 4d was the standard fine on being convicted of GBH. He was rather pleased with this discovery, as he said that in his Brummagen youth, to give someone a 'fourpenny one' was to give them a good hard blow with the fist. 

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, BoD said:

See ....

The Universal Deltic would put all of these arguments to  bed.

It is long overdue.

It could even be used for esoteric parameters, for example oil leakage rates pertaining to old British motorcycles (nobody would expect parity between the Deltic and the 1939 BSA but it wouldn't be far off)!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I remember being pulled over by The Law one night in 1983 because I had committed the crime of overtaking them on a dual carriage roadway despite them going less than the speed limit and me making sure I was exactly on it. 

The officer decamped from his Divvy van and  approached my vehicle on foot from a westerly direction then poked his head into my window and asked me what speed I believed I'd been doing.

My car being from the  pre-metric era had the speedo in miles, but I knew what the 80kmh speed limit was in mph.

"I was doing 49 miles per hour" I replied to which he said "You do realise the speed along here is 80 kilometres an hour, NOT 49 miles an hour!" He then told me that I'd brought suspicion on myself because my car was bright  yellow and the kind of car that attracts  police attention,

12_cropped.JPG.32aae395da97475ffa7568c41e0a04a3.JPG

but because I was polite he let me get away with it.

My mother would refer to that colour as "egg yolk". I'm not surprised the rozzers didn't like it. She didn't like it either, and made my father take back a car that he was going to buy because it was that colour...

Edited by Hroth
Missed out a word!
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

There must be a hex on me or something this trip. When I finally cleared immigration all the ticket machines at the railway station were down with a system fault and nobody able to offer any guidance. In the end I took the train to Malmo and explained the situation to the ticket inspector who sold me a ticket onboard. Then all the escalators were U/S for the underground platforms at Malmo, that's a long way to climb stairs with a case.

Not to worry, in Malmo now, I like Sweden. I find Swedish people to be generally polite and nice people, and Malmo is a nice clean and well kept city. Graffiti seems less of a problem here than much of Europe,  though it is still present.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

You are not casting nasturtiums upon Sir  Joe Bjelke Petersen's Queensland National party I hope.

No, I wasn't thinking of them - their utterances still beggar belief. Joh's favourite response to investigative journalists was "Don't you worry about that".

I was thinking of national Australian politics in the mid-1970s.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

According to my late father, in manorial court rolls of the 14th and 15th centuries that he had transcribed, 4d was the standard fine on being convicted of GBH. He was rather pleased with this discovery, as he said that in his Brummagen youth, to give someone a 'fourpenny one' was to give them a good hard blow with the fist. 

I remember "a 4 penny one"  being used as a statement through to at least the 1970s..

Monmouth?

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Brexit referendum was followed  pretty  heavily  here, especially during the month or so prior to the vote . Not having a stake in the result the media here basically just gave a rundown on the pro's and con's of the leave vote.

The ABC had a lot of coverage and relied on experts in trade, international relations and so on to give their analysis. Therefore the coverage was pretty much straight down the line with statistics and so on to illustrate what a leave vote would mean to the UK economy  and  it was generally free of any propaganda or allegations of "Project Fear!" or "Take Back Control!". 

From this coverage it was completely clear that a Leave result would have been suicidal so it was a huge surprise to watch the vote count unfold here (the time difference meant we got the result at 3pm or so in the afternoon).

Based on what we'd been told of the repercussions of the UK leaving the EU the result  seemed like it was sheer contrariness in the face of all the facts but I guess we didn't get to experience the rightwing media and various loonies pushing their side of the argument down our throats for months.  

That pretty well sums it up.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

57 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

There must be a hex on me or something this trip. When I finally cleared immigration all the ticket machines at the railway station were down with a system fault and nobody able to offer any guidance. In the end I took the train to Malmo and explained the situation to the ticket inspector who sold me a ticket onboard. Then all the escalators were U/S for the underground platforms at Malmo, that's a long way to climb stairs with a case.

Not to worry, in Malmo now, I like Sweden. I find Swedish people to be generally polite and nice people, and Malmo is a nice clean and well kept city. Graffiti seems less of a problem here than much of Europe,  though it is still present.

That's because most of the graffiti artists have moved on to more challenging matters, such as making sure that ticket machines and escalators don't work.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Boat work,

Put nuts and washers onto bollard, amazingly found them all, not sealed yet as I've ordered locknuts now I've found out what size I need, so it will need taking apart again.

Washed hull and deck. Needs doing again.

Emptied bilge of water.

Checked batteries, only a couple needed water and even then not much. Solar charger showing good levels.

Measured up for some wood due to future window repairs, obtained wood on the way back.

Made a list of items needed for future work, most have been ordered some I have.

Tried removing some of the carpet on the outside of the toilet walls, again, unfortunately it's evostuck, and stapled.

Back very unhappy at all the above, so now I'm lying flat out again..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

BREXIT truly was a protest vote gone wrong.

To be honest I can't think of any reason why it's caused me any issues so far - maybe there are hidden ones, but if there are they don't appear to have affected me.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

My cleaner came, today it was one of the senior staff as people are away on holidays.  I was told how tidy my house is compared to most she sees.  She also found it hard to believe that I am almost 75.  It is nice to receive compliments!

I have just about finished sorting the photos to be sent to cousins with just the covering letters left to do, perhaps tomorrow.  I sorted through the papers I am getting rid of, most went in the bin, the shredder dealt with the rest quite quickly.  A few other jobs also got done.

I've had a good think about what the GP said about lactose intolerance after the current Covid version.  I've had no milk, cheese, yoghurts etc over the weekend and my gut has been a lot better so I will avoid some things for a month or so and then try reintroducing them one at a time.  Meanwhile I will try milk alternatives (not almond as I cannot have nuts), also lactose free milk, yogurts etc.  I'll just have to manage without cheese which is a hardship.  I have bought some nice jam to have in sandwiches instead of cheese.

This afernoon I went to Seaton Sluice for some fresh air, I just managed to get back to the car from my walk by the harbour as a sharp shower started.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its on a bit of a downward trend here ATM. I paid $1,88 a litre*  for diesel yesterday (about £0.98).

*For the benefit of @Hroth that is 0.0000000810714 acre-feet.

Petrol here has dropped 8p per litre over the last month. I'd better fill up soon though as it always rises at the start of the summer schools break (not that I'm being cynical).

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, DaveF said:

My cleaner came, today it was one of the senior staff as people are away on holidays.  I was told how tidy my house is compared to most she sees.  She also found it hard to believe that I am almost 75.  It is nice to receive compliments!

I've had a good think about what the GP said about lactose intolerance after the current Covid version.  I've had no milk, cheese, yoghurts etc over the weekend and my gut has been a lot better so I will avoid some things for a month or so and then try reintroducing them one at a time.  Meanwhile I will try milk alternatives (not almond as I cannot have nuts), also lactose free milk, yogurts etc.  I'll just have to manage without cheese which is a hardship.  I have bought some nice jam to have in sandwiches instead of cheese.

I would suggest oat milk, environmentally a lot better than almond milk. Alpro produce one with no added sugars that is indistinguishable from cows milk. (in the chill cabinet with a red label 'no added sugars).

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, polybear said:

To be honest I can't think of any reason why it's caused me any issues so far - maybe there are hidden ones, but if there are they don't appear to have affected me.

Hasn't it, then why were you complaining the other day about having to go through passport control? That is down to Brexit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

1 minute ago, PhilJ W said:

Hasn't it, then why were you complaining the other day about having to go through passport control? That is down to Brexit.

Not to mention "the outrageous increase" in the cost of food (even UPF!).

And it's perhaps just as well that he hasn't any overseas buyer for his motorbike....

• Like 5
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

The UK was never part of the Schengen area, so we always had to go through passport control. The difference is we now go through the non-EU passport lane which can take longer than the EU citizens lane (though it's not always the case, there didn't seem to be any difference in CPH this morning).

• Like 9
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Did I?  News to me.  I did point out that I hadn't noticed any difference whatsoever between pre and post brexit immigration controls that I've experienced (hols.)

17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Not to mention "the outrageous increase" in the cost of food (even UPF!).

And it's perhaps just as well that he hasn't any overseas buyer for his motorbike....

What % of that is down to Brexit?  Or is a part of it due to covid - and also poo tin & ukraine?

I can't recall any products where I've though "Jeez, I'm not buying that anymore"

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I should have mentioned in my note about avoiding lactose, i.e. many dairy products, that hard cheese contains very little lactose, unlike softer cheeses and spreads.  My personal choice tends to be at the very mature cheddar end of things, so I don't really need to avoid it to avoid lactose, I am just being very careful.

I also know that sometimes for an unknown reason cheese is not always good for my digestive system hence my avoiding it for now.

Many thanks to Phil JW for his advice, I shall actually go to a supermarket and have a look at milk substitutes.

David

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

An afternoon of sorting a few mo'sickle bits, including digging out the two security locks (chain & D Shackle Lock) that have been buried in the sh*d for rather a long time.  Also photographing then preparing listings of various items for the 'bay.

Also.....

Good News 😃  The Plod emailed this afternoon, requesting that I upload the Dash Cam Video Clips and also photos showing damage to Mickey - all duly done.  One step closer to nickin' the 'sterd I hope - at least my report didn't disappear into a black hole, never to be heard of again.

BG

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, polybear said:

What % of that is down to Brexit?  Or is a part of it due to covid - and also poo tin & ukraine?

Or looking at another way, how much have covid and the situation in Ukraine masked (or have been used to mask) the effects of Brexit.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7