The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

38 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The modern cousin of book burning is old-fashioned book banning - quite en vogue in many parts of the US at the moment. There is at least one state where librarians can be found guilty of a felony if they place *certain* books on the shelf.

It crept in here too a week or so ago, due to one persons desire to ban books he thought unsuitable and his position to be able to do that,   but the anti-banners reversed it through weight of numbers, 40,000 to 1.

Ita scary though that the initial impetus to ban can so easily go from spark to bushfire, the blame for that has to lie entirely with Facebook groups. I don't think these people would use twitter. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-05-18/cumberland-council-book-ban-australian-libraries/103861418

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I had some fun at my bosses expense this morning. He called me to discuss a few things from last week and was very apologetic about asking me to work through last weekend and travel on a public holiday (Monday tomorrow is Hari Raya Haji in Singapore) so I generously suggested I could buy an Eisenbahn Canada model of the Manchurian SL7 Pashina streamlined kettle and claim it on expenses. Oh how little he knows about toy trains.......🫣🤣

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 4

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

So it was Dr Who (  the Jon Pertwee/Tom Baker years), The Goodies. Catweazle and Nanny And the Professor ,  along with occasional strange stuff like Children Of The Stones on an endless loop ,. All of which helped to  shape  our opinion of what the UK was like, which was - pretty weird!.

You left off the afternoon lineup with Andy Pandy, The Flowerpot Men and The Magic Roundabout. (OK there was Play School and Mr. Squiggle.)

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In comparison we had Skippy, because having a kangaroo that solves crime and helps kiddies in danger is perfectly normal compared to a time travelling bloke in a phone box. 

A sixties thing. Don't forget Flipper and Gentle Ben. I think Lassie and Rin Tin Tin kicked it all off.

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I am in Bangkok, on my way to Copenhagen. Enjoying the good seats in a long haul configured 777-300ER for a two hour flight is probably a bit unnecessary but undeniably a very nice way to do it. I like Thai, very good flight service, the attendants always seem properly nice and very helpful.

That’s very good to know.

Later this year I am flying ZRH-NAR via Bangkok on Thai in their 777-300ER. As good as Qatar Airways was, I absolutely hated Doha airport. I hope Bangkok airport is more enjoyable…

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, 4630 said:

That’s an interesting compilation. 

Sadly their spelling is inadequate - specifically the Duke of Wellington engaging in a dual with the Earl of Winchilsea. Misspelled twice.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've read complete lies in the press here, and I know they are lying because I have personal knowledge of what's going on on at least 2 occasions. 

But the thing is,  in the cases I've experienced I have no idea why they are lying, it just makes no sense other than to alert me that if they lie in these stories then they are obviously lying in pretty much every other one. 

The two that come to mind are:

A report in the Sunday Telegraph (a Murdoch paper) Real Estate section  about how the Victoria Barracks site in Paddington, Sydney had been successfully transformed from a military base into a luxury lifestyle resort, the heritage buildings had been remodelled as desirable apartments and the grounds had been remodelled to provide tennis courts, swimming pools and so on.

What made me suspicious of these claims was that my work role at the time meant that I divided my time between Maritime HQ at Potts Point, and Land Headquarters at Paddington Barracks  and every time I walked through the front  gate I  saw the heritage buildings - the officers accommodation, the main quadrangle, the parade ground and so on, completely as it had been since the 1800's when the barracks was established. It was all owned and run by  the Australian Army and there was no sign of a successful resort remodelling,so  the news report was a ridiculous fabrication.

The thing is, I still have no idea why or to what aim  the Daily telegraph printed that article since it was a complete fantasy. For instance they couldn't use it as a puff piece to sell apartments etc since they didn't exist. Anyway, here is the rear of the barrack in question. Still  chock full full of the Australian Army -  sorry,  real estate developers.

Capture-1.jpg.f5ad738171b35fe0d9f0cc6697dec046.jpg

My other example was also the Sunday Telegraph. At the time post 9/11 the RAAF was helping support the USAF in bombing raids into one of the Stans in central Asia. We deployed some F-18's to Diego Garcia, the intention being that they would support whatever the USAF were doing. However it turned out that the droge .that supplied the USAF F-18s with air to air refuelling didn't work with our F18s so we were grounded for the whole operation.

That didn't stop the Daily Telegraph from posting a completely fabricated story about how our fighters were daily bombing the insurgents, they even had  quotes from a Wing Commander based at Raaf Richmond, who didn't even exist., and its not like the RAAF were doing the governments work because the RAAF denied everything that was in the report. 

Trust absolutely nothing the papers say, specially the Murdoch ones!

Same here in the UK. Problem is that many of his lies interfere with the electoral process. He suggested that Jeremy Corbyn was in league with and supported the IRA. If you read his comments in Hansard it is blatantly obvious that he was opposed to any form of terrorism. Yes, he did have discussions with the IRA leaders but those discussions started the ball rolling leading to the Good Friday agreement.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

There is at least one state where librarians can be found guilty of a felony if they place *certain* books on the shelf.

What, the Great Western Journal?

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

I've read complete lies in the press here, and I know they are lying because I have personal knowledge of what's going on on at least 2 occasions. 

But the thing is,  in the cases I've experienced I have no idea why they are lying, it just makes no sense other than to alert me that if they lie in these stories then they are obviously lying in pretty much every other one. 

The two that come to mind are:

A report in the Sunday Telegraph (a Murdoch paper) Real Estate section  about how the Victoria Barracks site in Paddington, Sydney had been successfully transformed from a military base into a luxury lifestyle resort, the heritage buildings had been remodelled as desirable apartments and the grounds had been remodelled to provide tennis courts, swimming pools and so on.

What made me suspicious of these claims was that my work role at the time meant that I divided my time between Maritime HQ at Potts Point, and Land Headquarters at Paddington Barracks  and every time I walked through the front  gate I  saw the heritage buildings - the officers accommodation, the main quadrangle, the parade ground and so on, completely as it had been since the 1800's when the barracks was established. It was all owned and run by  the Australian Army and there was no sign of a successful resort remodelling,so  the news report was a ridiculous fabrication.

The thing is, I still have no idea why or to what aim  the Daily telegraph printed that article since it was a complete fantasy. For instance they couldn't use it as a puff piece to sell apartments etc since they didn't exist. Anyway, here is the rear of the barrack in question. Still  chock full full of the Australian Army -  sorry,  real estate developers.

Capture-1.jpg.f5ad738171b35fe0d9f0cc6697dec046.jpg

My other example was also the Sunday Telegraph. At the time post 9/11 the RAAF was helping support the USAF in bombing raids into one of the Stans in central Asia. We deployed some F-18's to Diego Garcia, the intention being that they would support whatever the USAF were doing. However it turned out that the droge .that supplied the USAF F-18s with air to air refuelling didn't work with our F18s so we were grounded for the whole operation.

That didn't stop the Daily Telegraph from posting a completely fabricated story about how our fighters were daily bombing the insurgents, they even had  quotes from a Wing Commander based at Raaf Richmond, who didn't even exist., and its not like the RAAF were doing the governments work because the RAAF denied everything that was in the report. 

Trust absolutely nothing the papers say, specially the Murdoch ones!

Bear once had the pleasure of Bomb Disposal visit Bear Towers - I'd been digging new foundations for a sh*d extension at the time and discovered something "iffy" from WW2.  The local press went into print with:

"Keen Gardener Tending His Tomatoes"

Libellous B'sterds.

• Funny 19

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

They're a pair of Trent class 25kt all weather boats.

According to the Wikipedia entry for the Trent class, they're currently in the training fleet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trent-class_lifeboat

Here's rhe RNLI lifeboat spotters page

https://rnli.org/what-we-do/lifeboats-and-stations/our-lifeboat-fleet

Thanks Hroth.

But I want a list. I need a list. I have to have a list. Where is a list?

I have to be able to underline the number, using my 6-in ruler and black biro.

Without a list my life is incomplete.

• Like 2
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

I've even overtaken myself sailing according to the sports pages...

A reminder to Hroth, there is no legal requirement to return the ball until you touch it.

Also there is no legal requirement to let them in to retrieve the ball.

When we had the problem we often only gave the ball back after several hours or even the next morning. It certainly reduced the number of balls arriving.

Having a Collie or two who like playing with footballs also helps..

Afternoon Awl,

Poor attendance at the sailing club, but one of the big regattas is on this weekend, and also the forecast was not good.

Race one...

20 minutes before the first start, the heavens opened everything got wet, it stopped for the race, but I had another half inch of water to bail out.

The race didn't happen for me , while rigging I pulled the wrong bit of string and the main halyard disappeared up the mast without sail.. By the time I'd dropped the mast, put it back up again, the fleet had disappeared.

So I had a muggacoffee, and rested for the next race. The water is clearing and the weed is growing, one boat came back a long way behind, they then had to try manoeuvres like sailing backwards, to get the weed off.

Race 2, 2P, XP, 1P, XP, 3 times, wind south westerly or westerly , meaning tacking to the number 2 bouy, run / reach to X , tacking up to 1, run back again. 

Started well, in first just, though not for long, 

BM handled well, the wind conditions seemed to suit her, there were a few dead patches, came in 3rd maybe 2nd on the water. Didn't lose much up wind, in the narrower sections even caught up a bit. but down wind lost more distance. Bad news? It chucked it down, an inch of water in the bottom of the boat to be bailed out. I had a waterproof jacket on and pulled the trousers over the top of my legs to partly keep them dry.

Race 3, same course, 

Started very well in first again, managed to keep a much faster boat behind until near buoy 2 the first time.

Held up reasonably close for the rest of the race, in third place again maybe got a first...

Race 4, 1P, XP 3 times as you can guess with such a short course the wind had seriously dropped.

This race is also a different format, it's bermudans keelboats first start , gaff rigged boats second start, , dinghies third.

So it was a nice gentle sail, but I still tried to as best as I could, my target was not to lose to the gaffers which are 7% faster on handicap. This was successful and BM crossed the line about 2.5 minutes before the fleet behind that started 5 minutes later..

Some one at the club has bought an RS Elite, pictures below, looks fast, its PY being 938 that's around 3% on broads handicap.  But with a fairly vertical keel and rudder they may have weed problems. Also with the waters requiring a lot of tacking I'm not sure how optimized for our waters it is.

Putting the boat away , I twisted my back, now lying flat out on the sofa trying to straighten it.

image.png

image.png

BIG NEWS THE 3 RIVERS RACE IS ON COUNTRYFILE NEXT WEEK.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Debs. said:

TCT circular saw; Thumb; A&E......one word of advice: don't!!!😟 

DSC_0853.JPG.f18d1fa01b981ca9375972e426ce7060.JPG

DSC_0857.JPG.e15ea8d8e3086ef030b1ed866741bdd1.JPG

Embarrassed to have bothered them with such self inflicted carnage; should have known better.😳

My Dad  always used to say a blunt bladed tool is more dangerous than a sharp one but that was probably before power-tools. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Thanks Hroth.

But I want a list. I need a list. I have to have a list. Where is a list?

I have to be able to underline the number, using my 6-in ruler and black biro.

Without a list my life is incomplete.

As far as lists are concerned, its probably best to grab the lists in wikipedia for each class, then print them out... 🤔

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Debs. said:

DSC_0853.JPG.f18d1fa01b981ca9375972e426ce7060.JPG

DSC_0857.JPG.e15ea8d8e3086ef030b1ed866741bdd1.JPG

Embarrassed to have bothered them with such self inflicted carnage; should have known better.😳

VSBT's;  I reckon you've qualified for a Hippo Club Badge.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Harry the Honda got to 1255 views 🙂....but no bids ☹️  Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.

I do however have a pretty sure-fire local buyer who I'm sure will give Harry a good home; he knows his way around bikes and he has a van - and his offer is not far off the start price...... so that could be a Tick....

ION.....

The Hilly Wander became the Mk.1 version (= Killer Hill x 1); the Pits were rather noisy today (= rugrats) but fortunately not unbearably so - looking out the window at someone sitting at an outside table with a mahoosive pile of CF's with his din dins was somewhat unfair though.

As for the rest of the day - nottalott to report really, just dross.  I did manage to learn how to produce a couple of shortened video clips (front & rear dash cam footage) for the Insurance Company and (hopefully) the Plod as well - although for some strange reason I'm not placing bets on that one happening....

BG

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Debs. said:

Rule 1 .

Wait till the spinny part stops moving before getting hand close .

• Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I imagine there are people who would like to see incarceration as the reward for placement of that on a shelf.

Of course some (heathens?) might say the same about Midland Record or LMS Journal... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' awl,

Sympathies to Debs, the Q and Bear for their respective injuries/misfortunes. I've commented before about my experience of the press' inability or unwillingness to be accurate - we laugh but Bear's post about being reported as a keen gardener is fairly modest compared to some of the 'economies' of the truth I know about. 

So ... my report on the day's activities! The weather was warmer and dryer than yesterday but it did briefly rain on my parade lap. Though I was participating in something the awl would heartily disapprove of. The good news is one major problem has been resolved, with the help of a certain firm from Doncaster. The bad news is another popped up, though the cause has been identified and a temporary bodge applied. It's not unlike the half-penny nail in the shoe of the courier's horse. 'Blacksmith' booked, trouble is, he's a busy chap... Though as Dobbin was limping along on three legs before today and is now happy on four, progress has definitely been made. 

The back lawn has been mown. Cuttings added to the pile to dig in later this week once the side area has been weeded, dug over and de-stoned. Gosh, makes me feel tired just typing it... I'll take it steady and have some help. If it takes all week, hey ho, no rush. 

Some reading of mucky magazines has been done, some are to go and some will go on a diet, with the advertising pages to be removed. It will help with the space issues. A couple of salad trays have been planted with seeds. Chicken and chips for der abendessen, though as it was a parmigiana and triple cooked variety with some good runner beans, it was a bit more special than the phrase might suggest. A Crosta & M pizza ordered for next week to try it. Was it Phil who started that trend? Perhaps a whole new career beckons in marketing/sales? But I'd sooner listen to him & il D than any of the so called SM influencers. 

Well, another day in the fast lane. Time to think about Zebadee's sign. Evenin' folks... 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

... Been holiday planning - using a spreadsheet. You can’t keep me away from them. ...

... and look for a bloke trying to buy gopher wood ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/06/16/covid-and-kernewek-realism-in-election-pledges-expect-demand-for-gopher-wood/

Gopher wood?🤔  Sounds like being sent for a Long Weight!

Its become dark early here, mainly because its started to rain....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 14

Right….there are a few ‘misunderstandings’ going on around here….so pin ya earoles back.

First of all I am not wanted by Interpol. I know this because one of my bank balances tells me this. 

Secondly I am not on any of their watch lists…….and I know this because another of my bank balances tell me so….

Mostly the ones based geographically around Bahnhofstrasse, Zurich or there abouts……close to where, in a previous life….. l have lived. And that is no b@ll@x either! Bin there….lived there.

ION…….

I am selling this Triumph 21 3TA 350cc 1964…..it has been totally rebuilt and runs like a dream. This includes a  new bespoke saddle and loads more etc etc……it belonged to an uncle of mine and he is now defo not able to ride it anymore. Or ride anything else come to that…..and all that, that implies!

Spect that he is due to be fitted with the wooden onesey very soon! (His own words). 

he needs it to go to a quote “Good Ol Boy” ….who will ride her properly. 

PHOTO-2024-06-16-18-53-40.jpeg.8c6f72be51386392da77788031b4c6af.jpeg

PHOTO-2024-06-16-18-54-04.jpeg.3881e7f337079548bde99f3589828cc7.jpeg

As fer me…..Valhalla Still Awaits…………..you know……...the one with the Valkyries…….with the endless skulls full of ale and cleavages that you could ski down?……….yeah them! Probs to the sound track of Sepultura’s cover of Motörhead’s ‘Orgasmatron’….or Bolt Thower’s ‘Kill Chain’…..

IMG_6359.jpeg.4fa7e8989f27ae4f425d5bb7f6baa132.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

A Crosta & M pizza ordered for next week to try it. Was it Phil who started that trend?

The very same.

Could he become a Marked Man very soon?  Perhaps he's a C&M shareholder?  Will his recommendation pass the Beary yumminess test?  Watch this space....

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Grizz said:

He needs it to go to a quote “Good Ol Boy” ….who will ride her properly. 

PHOTO-2024-06-16-18-53-40.jpeg.8c6f72be51386392da77788031b4c6af.jpeg

PHOTO-2024-06-16-18-54-04.jpeg.3881e7f337079548bde99f3589828cc7.jpeg

VSBT's.....if only Bear had a Garage (have I mentioned that?)

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Some one at the club has bought an RS Elite, pictures below, looks fast, its PY being 938 that's around 3% on broads handicap.  But with a fairly vertical keel and rudder they may have weed problems. Also with the waters requiring a lot of tacking I'm not sure how optimized for our waters it is.

They are OK for open water, if you can do windward / leeward courses.  However, they aren't very very good on reaches if there is anything of a breeze as they don't plane.   Oh, and they are fun (for other people) when they run aground, their draft is such that you can't jump out and push them off.

Adrian

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

15 minutes ago, Grizz said:

......to the sound track of Sepultura’s cover of Motörhead’s ‘Orgasmatron

Mental image of Woody Allen being forcibly removed (repeatedly!) from that namesake machine, with its (ahem!) "many attractions"🤭

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3