The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Mooring Awl again

Did get 5 hours sleep in the end followed by some indeterminate dozing.

Ben  the sleepy Collie didn't get up till I got my boots out. But he had a good snuffle about.

A somewhat damp patrol, !ight drizzle,  grey skies promises of intense soggyness later.

He's very by my side at the moment something to do with the BLT I'm eating between gerfingerpoken on this screen.

I can see Tesla going down a very deep hole, shares down, sales down , so the shareholders vote the musk $45-$54 billion pay this year...

To cut that meadow as hay you'd really need scythe mower.

image.png.1187eeb980c5c8edde43e496987474b4.png

However it's my understanding horses are very picky on what it is suitable to feed them. Owners go to great lengths to have nearly pure grass , many common plants do horses a real nasty. https://www.bluecross.org.uk/advice/horse/poisonous-plants-horses-should-avoid#:~:text=The most common poisonous plants,%2C privet%2C laurel and rhododendron.

Leaving it long before cutting just means collecting it up for disposal, or having large lumps of rotting mess on the grass.  I suspect many councils that have fallen for "rewilding" of verges with seeded meadow plants will soon find tougher stuff will over run the verges. Alexander, nettles, brambles.

Time to get suited and booted, its museum time.

Yes I'd forgotten about these. They are used for harvesting reeds I think but definitely a two 'operative' job as otherwise the material gets trampled underfoot.

All rewinding is is a way of saying money or is that too cynical.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It was sunny when I got up about 40 minutes ago, it’s now raining, pah! Thankfully it’s not heavy rain, but nonetheless, it’ll mean I’ll have to put a jacket on when I walk to the butchers shortly. Once back from the butchers, WE are going to the Trafford Centre, I’m not sure where or what Sheila wants to see there, but it could potentially be expensive, double pah! 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold

A fine sunny morning - until about twenty minutes ago.  More cloud is now rolling in from the west and getting darker grey by the minute.  It is expected to rain on and off all day starting soon.  I had planned on going out to a country park or Belsay Hall but neither are attractive in the wet so I'll stay at home yet again.  There may be a quick trip to somewhere very local for a breath of air, perhaps the park.

I know I did quite a lot yesterday, I started to feel sore about bedtime, it is going off a bit now.  I really must learn to pace myself a bit - but in my head I am still about 25 abd can do everything.

Sometime today I need to sort out a photo to send to someone making a video who needs some still shots to put in it.  If it doesn't rain much I might do some weeding, otherwise I'll do some model things.

David

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I've just ordered one too.  If nothing else it could be a source of spare parts, it could also run with a few items of BR stock I have (most of my things are pre 1923).  Anyway, at that price it is a bargain.

David

Rails also have Dapol 14xx locos for £125...

Much nicer than a Jinty!

(Hat, coat, etc...)

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, polybear said:

On the way home I went into one of the very few Plod Stations still open to the public to report yesterday's H&R....only to be told "You need to do that on-line now, Mr. Bear....."  FFS Mk. 2.  I hear a @PupCam Rant approaching.......

Grrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhh !!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Coming to this late so apologies if the queries have already been answered.

You have really answered your question already in your joke about using scythes. This is the best way to cut this material. There are mechanical versions but they are for large areas.

A mower will by necessity cut the material into a mulch, which would be ideal for composting. So long as the mulch is not added in a thick layer it should compost quite quickly in a compost heap.

The important thing is the removal of the material as if it's left it will decompose thereby improving the nutritional value of the soil. This will in turn prompt the growth of more vigorous plants and grasses which will eventually dominate the meadow.

It might be worthwhile contacting any wildlife groups etc to see if they could advise in terms of alternative disposal.

One other possibility would be riding stables, but you would have to be certain that the material didn't contain anything toxic.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

... To cut that meadow as hay you'd really need scythe mower.

However it's my understanding horses are very picky on what it is suitable to feed them. Owners go to great lengths to have nearly pure grass , many common plants do horses a real nasty. https://www.bluecross.org.uk/advice/horse/poisonous-plants-horses-should-avoid#:~:text=The most common poisonous plants,%2C privet%2C laurel and rhododendron.

Leaving it long before cutting just means collecting it up for disposal, or having large lumps of rotting mess on the grass.  I suspect many councils that have fallen for "rewilding" of verges with seeded meadow plants will soon find tougher stuff will over run the verges. Alexander, nettles, brambles. .... 

8 hours ago, skipepsi said:

Please do not feed it to the horses.

Thanks all for the info and advice. Having had a look at the blue cross page, the horse option is definitely out. Several flowers on the naughty list are in the meadow and several other plants sufficiently close by to make it likely any hay wouldn't be free from them as well. 

I had a look a few days ago at https://www.rhs.org.uk/lawns/wildflower-meadow-maintenance - I'm doubtful I'm strong/healthy enough at the moment to scythe the lot myself but there are a couple of local groups which I'll approach in due course. I'll also see if I can interest any neighbours in the excess. I certainly wouldn't leave the material there. I should have some space for some of it to compost down, I've been doing that and digging some in with some of the cuttings so far.

I have heard the problems/cost of having mowers which collect the cut grass rather than eject it after cutting is why many councils have stopped participating in no mow May. The extra long cuttings in June don't rot very easily and clog the lawn/verges. 

I have been doing some maintenance of the meadow, taking out unwanted plants such as thistles, cuckoo pint and docks. I don't want to use letting it grow/flower as a lazy excuse to do * all with the space. A nudge or two along certain lines, try and discourage the grasses and certain weeds and encourage the ox eye daisies and cornflowers. And various others. Worst case, we'll go back to having it as a raggedy lawn but a flower meadow is much more colourful. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, polybear said:

You saved forty quid on a Cab Fare yesterday....that makes a 7mm Jinty eighty-five quid.....

Very curious arithmetic..... 🤔

You obviously haven't been attending @Coombe Bartons lectures... 🤪

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Very curious arithmetic..... 🤔

You obviously haven't been attending @Coombe Bartons lectures... 🤪

£125 - £40 = £85........

Pass the Cake.....

• Like 4