The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. The cold has come back with a vengeance, runny nose and an irritating cough. So its a hot milky drink fortified with something 40% proof out of a bottle. A few other things to do first though.

• Friendly/supportive 16

5 hours ago, TheQ said:

One wonders how many register as a student, get the loans which they otherwise could not get, buy cars etc and then go off to work, not attending university. Something they would not admit on surveys.

The fact they've paid for the course won't worry them, that chicken will come home to roost many years in the future..

It would seem from the lack of attendance of many on JCs courses that there may be many that do that.

Spot on with my suspicions as well.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 14

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Evening all,

And 'tis a dark and gloomy one. More like April/October than June... 

I took these only two days ago. On a lovely June day... alas, where did summer go? 

I mentioned earlier about the patch of 'meadow' I've acquired, over six weeks it's transformed from a rather raggy, moss-filled 'lawn' into a colourful meadow. Too many grasses, I'll have to try and thin those out and get more wildflowers in but as it is, it's not a bad starting point. Much of the yellow is 'Birds Foot Trefoil' - apparently rather rare. There's lots of other flowers in there as well. I think I know the names of about half of them so far! 

Trefoilpatch.jpg.058666399544d9265d3b3156ff845050.jpg

Meadowc-up.jpg.46596ab22d605d86124f3f2653281aa9.jpg

The bees love it, as do the local LBJs. 

One (serious) question - when this is cut (August?) I will have an industrial quantity of grass and other cut material - if it's cut using a lawn-mower, will this chop the bits up too small for it to be of any use as hay or straw (whether for next door's hamsters or the lass round t' corner's 'field ornament'/lethal killing machine) - or even if it does, could it be of use to anyone else? I can use some myself as mulch/composting but only c 10-20% - I estimate there'll be enough for at least a dozen large bales and it's going to be a lot to 'rehome' in one go. I want to let it lie for a few days to let the seeds drop off for next year but after that...?

BTW, any volunteers with scythes welcome for the mowing, can part-pay in treacle tart and/or unmentionable detailing accessories! 

Coming to this late so apologies if the queries have already been answered.

You have really answered your question already in your joke about using scythes. This is the best way to cut this material. There are mechanical versions but they are for large areas.

A mower will by necessity cut the material into a mulch, which would be ideal for composting. So long as the mulch is not added in a thick layer it should compost quite quickly in a compost heap.

The important thing is the removal of the material as if it's left it will decompose thereby improving the nutritional value of the soil. This will inturn prompt the growth of more vigorous plants and grasses which will eventually dominate the meadow.

It might be worthwhile contacting any wildlife groups etc to see if they could advise in terms of alternative disposal.

One other possibility would be riding stables, but you would have to be certain that the material didn't contain anything toxic.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well, frustratingly, I’ve still not solved the problem with the industrial loco I’m building. There’s definitely a problem with either the coupling rods or the quartering of the drive wheels. I’ve had it running, but it’s very jerky, so it’s not right. When I built it I didn’t use a jig, I just used my eye to do the job! So I’m wondering if I’ve built the chassis a little out of square? Doh! So, my next plan is to completely dismantle the chassis and then rebuild it again, but this time I’ll be using a chassis jig to get the axles parallel and square.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

Yesterday, we tried a “shrub” for the first time. It was the second type (non-alcoholic) described in this wiki entry:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrub_(drink)

Our daughter-in-law had given us a selection of fruit vinegars and recommended that we use them to try making shrubs. We used a peach-infused vinegar, and it was very drinkable. We’ve got black cherry and elderflower to try as well. (And if we don’t like those, an alternative use for them is in salad dressings.)

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Evening all,

And 'tis a dark and gloomy one. More like April/October than June... 

I took these only two days ago. On a lovely June day... alas, where did summer go? 

I mentioned earlier about the patch of 'meadow' I've acquired, over six weeks it's transformed from a rather raggy, moss-filled 'lawn' into a colourful meadow. Too many grasses, I'll have to try and thin those out and get more wildflowers in but as it is, it's not a bad starting point. Much of the yellow is 'Birds Foot Trefoil' - apparently rather rare. There's lots of other flowers in there as well. I think I know the names of about half of them so far! 

Trefoilpatch.jpg.058666399544d9265d3b3156ff845050.jpg

Meadowc-up.jpg.46596ab22d605d86124f3f2653281aa9.jpg

The bees love it, as do the local LBJs. 

One (serious) question - when this is cut (August?) I will have an industrial quantity of grass and other cut material - if it's cut using a lawn-mower, will this chop the bits up too small for it to be of any use as hay or straw (whether for next door's hamsters or the lass round t' corner's 'field ornament'/lethal killing machine) - or even if it does, could it be of use to anyone else? I can use some myself as mulch/composting but only c 10-20% - I estimate there'll be enough for at least a dozen large bales and it's going to be a lot to 'rehome' in one go. I want to let it lie for a few days to let the seeds drop off for next year but after that...?

BTW, any volunteers with scythes welcome for the mowing, can part-pay in treacle tart and/or unmentionable detailing accessories! 

Please do not feed it to the horses.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium

The thunderstorm predicted for today (with possible tornadoes)  has started to make a little noise. (it's 10:30 at night now)

When I started university in Ontario 60 years ago, the tuition was $545.  Residence was $660.  (I think the figures are pretty exact).  Tuition included student fees. Residence was a limited number of places.

The university had pioneered a co-op program where students would alternate terms at school and in appropriate industry.  This usually paid enough to cover the fees and beyond. (Started in engineering and had just expanded to mathematics).

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a cliff top in BR where it isn't raining at the moment.  A small pink terrorist will soon be running around.  

Jamie

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I can see Tesla going down a very deep hole, shares down, sales down , so the shareholders vote the musk $45-$54 billion pay this year...

That's F. Obscene; he's one Guy I'd love to see sharing a Cell with The Orange One for the next Fifty Years.

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Make the grants payable in small-ish stage payments, subject to certain criteria (such as turning up for Lectures ON TIME and still being there at the end; handing in work ON TIME and not using things like AI to cheat).  Fail any of these and your next payment is cancelled.  Simple.

When I said it was a privilege I did not mean that further or higher education should be seen as such but that, as the first on both sides of my family to go to uni,  I sure as hell was going to make the most of it.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Make the grants payable in small-ish stage payments, subject to certain criteria (such as turning up for Lectures ON TIME and still being there at the end; handing in work ON TIME and not using things like AI to cheat).  Fail any of these and your next payment is cancelled.  Simple.

Tarmac it.

Then put a Shed on it.  A Big One.  And a Garage.

You know I'm getting a bit worried about you PB. Not only are you a bit of a Philistine when it comes to the living green stuff but you seem to have some weird fixation about garages.

• Funny 18