The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Good luck with getting that sorted out, Bear. IF you’re lucky a supremely disinterested copper might come by in a week or two to give you a crime number “for insurance purposes”…..

Of course, if you can claim that the van driver hurled insults at you about your “protected characteristics”, they would probably turn up in no time at all (or am I being a bit cynical here?).

If it was a white van then PB could claim it was racist and colonial and as a result he's suffering  PTSE and of course whiplash.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Quite a good night's sleep, I woke once feeling cold so put a thick fleece dressing gown on top of the duvet which cured the problem.

I was woken by my phone making a noise to tell me it is raining.  Everytime Android does an update it changes some permissions, I forgot to reset the weather one.  The rain is light but damp enough for me to not go in the garden.  It is cold, 11°C now and it will remain at that all day.  The heating came on for a short time even though it is on its low summer setting, normally it doesn't come on from mid May until late September.

I may visit a shop, I may go for a walk, I will do some modelmaking.

David

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

We’ve had some overnight rain, but it’s not raining now, however the garden is wet, very wet, so I’ll have to see if it’s dry enough to do some gardening. If it is too wet, I’ve always got the workshop to go to instead, as I’ve always got a couple of projects going.

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Some T0sser in a van just ripped the rear bumper off the Bearmobile 🤬🤬🤬. F. Wnaker did’nt stop either - but knew he’d done it; I was stationary - and I’ve got cameras front & rear…..

Is that the bit that took ages to come from China...?

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

' morning all from red dragon land.

Outside temp has crept up to 9.9C.

The early morning sun has gone back to bed. <<I don't blame it!>>

Pinecone pundits predict sunshine late afternoon...

Promises, promises....<<Heard it all before 🤣>> But you never know... 🤔

Still only a high of 12C, though.

8 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Quite a good night's sleep, I woke once feeling cold so put a thick fleece dressing gown on top of the duvet which cured the problem.

I used my fleece jacket...

That sums it up so far. Windpipe permitting, a few jobbies to do before some TOTF🎶. I should be able to do that though a snooze on the sofa sounds more enticing!

Take care. Be good. Size up the options.

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Some T0sser in a van just ripped the rear bumper off the Bearmobile 🤬🤬🤬. F. Wnaker did’nt stop either - but knew he’d done it; I was stationary - and I’ve got cameras front & rear…..

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Good luck with getting that sorted out, Bear. IF you’re lucky a supremely disinterested copper might come by in a week or two to give you a crime number “for insurance purposes”…..

Of course, if you can claim that the van driver hurled insults at you about your “protected characteristics”, they would probably turn up in no time at all (or am I being a bit cynical here?).

I hope you got his registration. There are two offences at least. Careless driving and failing to stop after an accident. I assume you've notified your insurers and sent a copy of the dash cam footage to them. Notify the police, they may take action especially if the scrote is already on their radar.

• Like 7
  • Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Its not warm, its grey but not actually raining (snowing???)

Yuck!

Windows on my laptop has just updated for some reason, and its back to displaying a fatuous Weather/Stockmarket info pane on the Login screen. I know how to get rid of it, and have done but WHY does Microshaft insist on re-enabling it on each update? Grrrrr!

Finally, I've just received an electoral communication from the "incumbent" party.  Its waste paper as I wouldn't vote for them even if they were the only party on the ballot!

Double GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I think another hot drink is in order, its so bluudy unseasonable!

Edited by Hroth
i before e....
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

And another thing.

TOOTHBRUSHES!

I'm quite happy with my manual brush, but the dentist keeps recommending a powered device.  Is this because they also sell the things?  I've got an oscillating Oral B device, but for some reason it feels alien in my mouth, as if I'm applying an anglegrinder to my molars!  Then there's the one I found in my spare toothbrush box, a Philips Sonicare brush (with UHF vibrations (62,000 hz...) ! ) which I got a decade ago and almost instantly gave up on.  I charged it up and found out why! The vibrations tickle my tongue and feel that they're going to shake the fillings out...  At least it has a conventional toothbrush head and so could be used switched off....

So back to the manual brush on a stick.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

On the subject of dash cams. At the time of the 'accident' in January I actually had two dash cams still in their boxes. The first one from Tesco's on click and collect when I checked it it had no instructions and when I took it back there they couldn't or wouldn't do anything about it. The second one, which is now on my car did have instructions but not easily understood, they seemed to assume that you have been installing dash cams every day*. Not wanting to have a similar event I managed to fit the dashcam (#2), it's not 100% **satisfactory but it does its job.

*Halfords will fit a dash cam for a fee and if you purchase it from them.

** The camera is equipped with a suction disc to fit it to the top of the windscreen but the camera itself is too heavy and it doesn't hold so I have to fit it to the dashboard upside down. At least it means no wires dangling in my line of vision. The rear camera I cannot use as it is meant to sit on the parcel shelf which I have removed to carry my rollator.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its not warm, its grey but not actually raining (snowing???)

Yuck!

Windows on my laptop has just updated for some reason, and its back to displaying a fatuous Weather/Stockmarket info pane on the Login screen. I know how to get rid of it, and have done but WHY does Microshaft insist on re-enabling it on each update? Grrrrr!

Finally, I've just recieved an electoral communication from the "incumbent" party.  Its waste paper as I wouldn't vote for them even if they were the only party on the ballot!

Double GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!

I think another hot drink is in order, its so bluudy unseasonable!

I have received only one election communication, from the *spiv party, that went straight in the bin. I see our esteemed prime minister (until 5 July) is claiming to have had a deprived childhood, he didn't have a Sky dish! I've never had a Sky dish because I didn't want to contribute to Rupert Murdoch's coffers. 

*The leader of said party even looks like a spiv, leaning on a bar with a pint in one hand and a cigarette in the other and ready to sell you something that fell off the back of a lorry such as Brexit.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And another thing.

TOOTHBRUSHES!

I'm quite happy with my manual brush, but the dentist keeps recommending a powered device.  Is this because they also sell the things?  I've got an oscillating Oral B device, but for some reason it feels alien in my mouth, as if I'm applying an anglegrinder to my molars!  Then there's the one I found in my spare toothbrush box, a Philips Sonicare brush (with UHF vibrations (62,000 hz...) ! ) which I got a decade ago and almost instantly gave up on.  I charged it up and found out why! The vibrations tickle my tongue and feel that they're going to shake the fillings out...  At least it has a conventional toothbrush head and so could be used switched off....

So back to the manual brush on a stick.

I use those Oral B oscillating toothbrushes though I don't always switch it on. Biggest problem is you should remove the battery before disposal which is a fiddly job.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Hmm a certain prime minister as born 1980, sky TV didn't start till 1989, and then it took some time till it really going. No many of his age will have had sky, wealthy or not..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Not being political, but I've driven to/from Bristol a couple of times this week, and have only seen billboards/posters for the Lib Dems whilst driving through Dorset, Wiltshire and Somerset. Absolutely nothing for the Tories, Labour, Greens, etc etc. 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

LD have always been the most common signs here, even when this area had a huge blue majority. Boundaries have moved this time so anything could happen.

I'm sure the only people who pay attention to them are the " true believers" the rest of us think it's annoying wallpaper Whatever Party they are from.

Meanwhile I passed signs of almost all colours except monster raving loony  on the way to pick up a unit of unmentionables.

That's now in the back of the landrover till Saturday morning, when it will move to a temporary position in the mobile home. Measurements have been taken sketches will be drawn...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I use those Oral B oscillating toothbrushes though I don't always switch it on. Biggest problem is you should remove the battery before disposal which is a fiddly job.

The Oral B oscillator I use is very old, its one my father bought on the recomendation of a dentist. He didn't use it much either and went back to a scrubbing stick too.  Its probably a quarter of a century old now, but still works and battery disposal hasn't become an issue yet...

At least with the oscillator, the bit you put in your mouth can be easily disposed of so all I did was buy a new packet of replacement heads WITH WHICH I REPLACED THE OLD ONE...

(Caps to make things perfectly clear!)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Quite accurate and it's not only going to affect deliveries but some people's health and wellbeing.  A certain postie and friend is being caused a lot of grief by this.  Because his finish time will be later he will not be able to collect his 7 yo daughter from school on a couple of days a week as he has been doing.  He is divorced and his ex has custody so he is only allowed to see her on certain days and his ex is giving him grief for something he has no control over.  An appeal is being made but it is causing considerable upset.

That's rotten. Double ❤️ and I hope one way or another he can get things sorted.

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have received only one election communication ...

You're lucky! We're in a marginal (blue and yellow fight) and have been getting lots* of electioneering through the door. Plenty of yellow posters up, strangely, none seen for the blues. 

* I haven't counted them but we must be getting on for double figures over the last 2-3 months. 

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

... I'm sure the only people who pay attention to them are the " true believers" the rest of us think it's annoying wallpaper Whatever Party they are from.

Meanwhile I passed signs of almost all colours except monster raving loony  on the way to pick up a unit of unmentionables. ....

It really is very kind of them to keep pushing these leaflets through our letterbox but we have plenty of proper (soft) toilet paper.

Sadly, I've never seen a poster for the Loony party or had the opportunity to vote for one of their candidates. I feel cheated...  I want to vote for the abolition of slavery and the compulsory serving of asparagus at breakfast. Surely, sensible policies for a happier Britain?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

HUMP day.

Yesterday mostly routine work-wise.

Evening whilst Mrs attended her book club, buddy and I fixed all the problems here. Potentially seems the most reliable answer is to nuke vast areas 😮

Following that a glass of wine (and whine) with the ladies.

Today nothing planned other than work.

Raining and 17c first thing, we're told to expect rolling thunderstorms all day and a high of maybe 29c!

Carry on.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I've used an Oral B toothbrush for quite a long time, it works well for me but I still get plaque and tartar build up.  The last time I asked why my dentist said it is probably genetic.

The day has passed pleasantly once again.  I had a trip to Currys about 5 miles away in the next town to buy a new external hard drive as my oldest one is getting a bit erratic in opening folders and sometimes seems to go into a deep sleep.  I also bought a couple of extra memory cards.  On the way back I stopped at the cash machine at the Tesco Extra a few minutes from home and called into the shop as well.  The whole expedition took just under 45 minutes.  As usual I was able to park outside the door at Currys.

I did a bit of work on a model before lunch.  Afterwards I read for a while and then went outside to cut down a rather dead looking lavender.  However it has started sprouting so it just got a good haircut, I'll see how well it does as the months pass.

I had an e mail from ABe books, one of the secondhand books they suggested I might like was one I actually want by Peter Mayle.  I have now ordered it for £2-85 with free post and packing.

David

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

It hasn’t rained and was a bit dull so it seemed like a good day to polish the side of the car I didn’t do earlier this week. I sorted out a few bits I like to take when I am away from home or at least Land Rover dealers. In case the weather is nice next week I have sorted out the picnic rugs. I think we may be getting to the stage of needing a couple of folding picnic chairs as it seems a long way up from the ground now. I can comfortably sit on the boot floor of the car but Aditi is too short unless we have a step stool!

Aditi had come back from the shops with some walking socks for me so I expect we will be doing some walking next week. 
Tony

• Like 16