The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Well yes @polybear if the offer is high enough!  It is a very nice example, I doubt there's a better one, unless someone has a genuinely unused one.  Padgetts of Batley have two CBX1000's still in the cases - wonder what would buy them!

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, polybear said:

My gut feeling is no, but if the offer is obscene enough.....

I’ll give you three slices of LDC.

Four if you end the sale early.

Tempted yet?

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

1 hour ago, polybear said:

During a wee wee break I spotted this in the Garden Centre close by:

image.png.603b68b75a070cabdfed8463b115f447.png

Regular menu item at a fast food chain here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1502050173248220&id=148965541890030&set=a.296947657091817

(That’s just for illustration - not our local DQ.)

In fact, we had dinner at son and daughter-in-law’s on Monday and took one for the grandkids’ dessert.

Edited by pH
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, BoD said:

I’ll give you three slices of LDC.

Four if you end the sale early.

Tempted yet?

Four slices?  That's ten second's worth....five if you're a Hippo.....

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11

4 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

30 cm, thats a whole 12 inches!

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

But the one they found was "only" 18 cm/7 inches.

Don't go worrying PB with theoretical maxima!

When you flip down the sun visor in your car to discover one on the back of it who is now about 10 inches from your face as you are speeding along trying to control the car and keep an eye on it, they all seem to be at the theoretical maxima!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, polybear said:

My gut feeling is no, but if the offer is obscene enough.....

How about a case of LDC?  🤪

On the other hand I wouldn't touch this

image.png.ee9ab57dc13e6cadf038072546a72769.png.2ffb7d18e2876f2359fb69449260a202.png

with a bargepole...

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

We got talking to one of the people bringing donations today - before she retired she worked in DHSS Benefits Office....

They used to watch people who were claiming disability benefit arriving - one guy turned up in a bluddy great new Volvo (despite being "too disabled to work") then stroll across the road with his crutches under his arm.  When he appeared in the office it was a totally different story, however - an Oscar wouldn't have been out of place.  She reckons she could write a book on what some people got up to; she also agreed that genuine claimants were either denied or given hell before their claim was approved.

I messaged the person who was interested in making an offer for Harry "for the right money", saying that if it was a VERY good offer I might be tempted.  He replied back and it seems that his idea of "right money" (he wasn't quoting numbers) may well not tally with Bear's after all.....

ION....

It seems that the POTUS's son has been deemed to have been a A Bad Lad after all - which has no doubt p1ssed off The Orange One somewhat as he won't be able to cry "foul".  There's still some hope for him, however - it'll all depend on what sentence he gets.

BG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

I could do with some mounting board - excellent thick card for modelling purposes!

I've not bought any for a while, but £5 off would help defray the fuel needed to get to the nearest Hobbycraft.....

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Be

image.png.603b68b75a070cabdfed8463b115f447.png

☹️

BG

Second from bottom line, " the very best !ocal produce"

Hmmm

Chocolate from Africa

Sugar from? 

Rice from Asia or America.

And assembled in cotgrave, just outside sNottingham..

Not very local...

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Just looking at that pizza has sent my blood sugar climbing..

Cutting and shutting 1/150 people is difficult, as is making a warrant officers hat for one.

Not bought mount board for muddling for years, 

But I Have for SWMBO, for her paintings, 

The fact I get all the off cuts has nothing to do with it .

My formula for getting in a car in Aus.

Open door, throw in poison gas bomb, shut door.

Come back an hour later, open door,

Get in wearing full nbc suit, and respirator shut door .

Then drive.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, polybear said:

We got talking to one of the people bringing donations today - before she retired she worked in DHSS Benefits Office....

They used to watch people who were claiming disability benefit arriving - one guy turned up in a bluddy great new Volvo (despite being "too disabled to work") then stroll across the road with his crutches under his arm.  When he appeared in the office it was a totally different story, however - an Oscar wouldn't have been out of place.  She reckons she could write a book on what some people got up to; she also agreed that genuine claimants were either denied or given hell before their claim was approved.

That reminds me of when I lived in Burnham-on-Crouch I used to car share with a lady who worked in a benefits office. The staff turnover in the benefits office was high, the average was eight working days.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner tonight was a moussaka, with a side salad (with olives) and very nice it was too. I could have had bangers and mash but that's now tomorrows dinner.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Good evening everyone 

Some more progress has been made in the garden, all the geraniums (well the tall ones) have been dug up, so apart from the odd seedling, or small bit of root stock that I’ve missed, all we have left in that border are the low growing ones. Hopefully this will now mean that the peonies and roses won’t now get crowed out. After dinner, I decided to raise the small zip up greenhouse, as slugs have managed to get inside and munch my seedlings, gggrrrrrrr 🤬. So, I’ve fitted some short lengths of plastic pipe to each leg and added 2 rings of copper tape to each leg as well. Before I put all the plants back, I checked each one for slugs, every time I found one, it was dispatched to the here after, by using either my secateurs or the heel of my shoe. 

The plan for tomorrow is to get the last few plants in, in the space vacated by the geraniums and the last few sweet peas and as some peas in too.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight everyone 

• Thanks 5

2 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that the POTUS's son has been deemed to have been a A Bad Lad after all - which has no doubt p1ssed off The Orange One somewhat as he won't be able to cry "foul".  There's still some hope for him, however - it'll all depend on what sentence he gets.

BG

Seeing the republicans coming down on the side of enforcing  gun control is a refreshing change, hopefully it will continue.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheQ said:

My formula for getting in a car in Aus.

Open door, throw in poison gas bomb, shut door.

Come back an hour later, open door,

Get in wearing full nbc suit, and respirator shut door .

Then drive.

Knowing the little 'sterds out there I suspect they're wise to that trick and throw it back out again

• Funny 16

12 hours ago, Hroth said:

How about a case of LDC?  🤪

On the other hand I wouldn't touch this

image.png.ee9ab57dc13e6cadf038072546a72769.png.2ffb7d18e2876f2359fb69449260a202.png

with a bargepole...

Each to his own, I suppose.

At £15.99 for 500g (a 10” pizza) it’s probably not going to be at the level of a top-notch Swiss chocolatier - like Sprüngli, for which you pay about SFr 20 (£17.50) for 100g. And as top-notch, as Sprüngli is, there are other chocolatiers, which are even more exclusive and even more expensive than Sprüngli (although I wouldn’t consider Sprüngli to be too terribly exclusive).

Mind you, that’s £17.50 well spent. But these are not chocolates for gobbling down, but rather for slowly savouring – almost the complete opposite of Cadburys.🤣

Although a high quality Chocolatier, Sprüngli are perhaps best known for their Luxemburgerli different flavoured macaroons, filled with different flavoured creams https://www.spruengli.ch/en/shop/luxemburgerli/ these work out at SFr 17.50 (£15) for 100gm. These are highly sought after, so much so that Sprüngli sends a pallet of Luxemburgerli by expedited air freight to New York  - and I think Tokyo - for the high-end department stores every single working day.

Usually 200 g of Luxemburgerli are enough to share for two to four (they are quite rich) and not having one single additive, preservative, emulsifier, or other chemical compound from the food chemists in them, they have to be eaten within a day of purchase.

p.s. for real exclusivity there is “La Chuorsa” chocolate made by Zurich chocolatier Attimo. an 80g bar costs CHF640 (£560). Other exclusive (and pricy) Swiss chocolatiers include DeLafée and Teuscher. High priced by UK standards, Läderach is a high quality chocolatier at the level of Sprüngli. Apparently available at Harrods and/or Selfridges at premium prices. I particularly enjoy their slab chocolates (different types of Läderach chocolate poured out as a huge slab and then sold by weight. as it is quite difficult to precisely cut a slab of chocolate into exact quantities, basically you ask for a chunk and the cost and the calories can go hang!)

Edited by iL Dottore
Typo
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Some T0sser in a van just ripped the rear bumper off the Bearmobile 🤬🤬🤬. F. Wnaker did’nt stop either - but knew he’d done it; I was stationary - and I’ve got cameras front & rear…..

Good luck with getting that sorted out, Bear. IF you’re lucky a supremely disinterested copper might come by in a week or two to give you a crime number “for insurance purposes”…..

Of course, if you can claim that the van driver hurled insults at you about your “protected characteristics”, they would probably turn up in no time at all (or am I being a bit cynical here?).

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4