The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Have just had Waitrose haddock fish cakes. MiL likes them and it stops Aditi worrying for a short while about lack of protein in her Mum’s diet.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I think when Jamie Oliver did a tv series on American cuisine he camped out and ate freshly obtained prairie oysters… Don’t know if the recipe made it to the book.

There are many restaurants here where you can try indigenous food. I assume there are patrons who go there for the "shock" value of trying kangaroo testicles or whatever but although the inland tribes of the arid  desert regions would have of necessity eaten all parts of any animal they caught, much of the menus lean more towards "bush tucker"  which is gathered, such as yam style roots and meals like local fish in sauces made from native herbs and fragrant leaves  that western cooking has no knowledge of. 

I did go to one at Fremantle a while back, they had Honey Ants on the menu which are meant to be incredibly sweet, they apparently taste of whatever flowers they've been eating. They have large distended backs filled with honey and you bite into them. I passed up on them but I did have fried Witchetty grubs, which tasted  peanutty, though maybe that was due to what they were fried in.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

So what have I done today? Oh yes.....

• Sorted tools for fixin' the Hospice Van (all I need is the fixings to arrive from the 'bay)
  • Started the Class 37 fix - it wasn't a window frame but a headcode box frame; of course this means that the glazing and code are separate from the frame so gettin' the whole lot to fit without foul language is proving "interesting".  Task ongoing.....
  • Bike cover removed, cleaned of sticky residue from sticky tape (= piggofajob) then the end seam superglued back together.  Tick awarded.
  • Upstairs Loo Tap fixed - the valve/cartridge was fubarred but amazingly I had a new spare in the plumbing bits tin, so that's another Tick.
  • Rambo watched.
  • Sadly the Jacobs Chuck I had intended to fit to the big Pillar Drill (in place of the original Chinese jobbie) turned out to have too large a Morse Taper, so that's a Poo.
  • Donated a spare Builder's Bucket to Buddy over the road - and was rewarded with a can of Lemonade and a Fake Cornetto for my trouble, so that's definitely A Big Tick.

ION....

Bear appears to be stuck on 68Kg at the moment....Turdycurses.  So I'm back on countin' the cals again and being a bit more serious in the process - today will be a sub-1400 cals day.  Big Poo....

Bear gone.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

The day has indeed passed quietly.  I have read one book, finished one magazine and started another, cooked some mince I'd frozen and had some potatoes and veg with it and... not much else.

Oh - I did walk round the garden and  pull out one weed, a prickly sow thistle (Sonchus asper).  It was in with some delphiniums and was not welcome.  Today its small yellow flowers were opening so it was time for it to go.  Fortunately a gentle pull removed the plant and its roots intact.  I had to break it into 3 parts to get it in the garden bin, it was nearly 6 feet tall with roots on, the stem was about an inch thick.

It will soon be time to toast some breakfast (as they now seem to be called) muffins and smother them in strawberry jam for my tea.  They shouldn't upset my gut.

Tomorrow I must make sure I am up and about by 09.00 for my phone call from a GP.  I will write down the symptoms this evening. I may even get a chance to check about my only medication as well.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Explain "fish cake?"

image.png.e161a5efafff6bb5cfde7117681b3e1d.png

Stick - End - Wrong....

But I'm sure you're just doing it for effect!  😜

Salmon fishcakes are nice too.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Weigh yourself after….

Been there, done that....

...it's quite surprising too.  Mind you, I have been accused of being full of sh*t on more than one occasion....

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

People who smoke don’t always realise how bad they smell to other people.

I get the message: you’re a non-smoker and you loathe smokers!

But non smokers can smell just as bad, if not worse (have you ever had to clean up an injured homeless who has been wearing the same clothes including underwear for a few months?)  And let’s not get started on the odour of too many of the attendees at model railway exhibitions, who - given current demographic and social trends - are likely to be non-smokers!

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Given his railway modelling  preferences I'm getting more this kind of vibe.

Screenshot(368).png.5ace1f061b0293bc83fcab751d3d513e.png

I'm trying my hardest not to visualise DH @Dave Hunt dressed up as a Swiftie......

6 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Pubs and restaurants are much nicer for me now. 

I once stayed in a Pub whilst working at Boscombe Down; it was the 1990's and the Pub's selling point was it was a non-smoking Pub (which was very unusual at the time) and for a non-smoker it was rather nice indeed.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

@polybear

Yep it's numbnuts and family.

No it isn't finished but it must be close and now he only needs 2 bedrooms not the 7 he has managed to squeeze in he will try and rip some daft banana off.

House is shiowing signs of rising damp on outer new walls..

He sold his last creation for cash.. through his church he attends...

Baz

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear's Sunday Funnies.....

image.png.c1ae3513f7db4a006ad62bd41b8eb3b9.png

image.png.c0f575a2ad281ae68e0e39b2e52dfe0d.png

image.png.dc280b4ac12f4acdfe9f379abe47d96a.png

image.png.43059ea1da4fa3c2a1cd47843bf63a15.png

image.png.d283eeab34ea15c3282f9643658816b2.png

Rishi Sunak and Keir Starmer are on a plane.

Sunak looked at Starmer, chuckled and said, "You know, I could throw £1,000 out of the window right now and make somebody happy."

Starmer shrugged his shoulders and replied, "I could throw twenty £50 notes out of the window and make twenty people happy"

Hearing their exchange, the pilot said to his co-pilot, I could throw both of them out of the window and make 64 million people very, very happy!"

A teacher explained biology to her 3rd-grade students. She said, "Human beings are the only animals that stutter." A little girl raised her
hand saying, "I had a kitty-cat that stuttered."
The teacher, knowing how precious some of these stories could become, asked the girl to describe the incident.
"Well,'' she began, "I was in the backyard with my kitty when the Rottweiler that lives next door got a running start and before we knew it,
he jumped over the fence into our yard!"
The teacher exclaimed, "That must've been scary."
The little girl said, "It sure was. My kitty raised her back, went Sssss, Sssss, Sssss and before she could say 'sh1t,' the Rottweiler ate her!"

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Funny 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think when Jamie Oliver did a tv series on American cuisine he camped out and ate freshly obtained prairie oysters… Don’t know if the recipe made it to the book.

More regularly known as "Rocky Mountain oysters".

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

The Bear definitely wasn't staying at the Antrobus Arms in Amesbury... That had the definite yellow white smoked walls.

As the Bear would say, poo...

The BBC did tell porkies, no 3 Rivers Race.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Have just had Waitrose haddock fish cakes. 

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Salmon fishcakes are nice too.

Yes they are. When I was quite young they were a staple - but of course being Australia we called them fish rissoles. Mum stopped making them when the family grew larger. They are comforting to me and I make them occasionally - though not exactly the same way. I use oyster sauce (where Mum used Worcestershire and tomato sauce) and panko rather than breadcrumbs - and serve them with rice and stir-fried vegetables.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

People who smoke don’t always realise how bad they smell to other people.

Taste bad too - like kissing an ashtray. (A long ago former girlfriend was a smoker.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I think that the Bear has done it again. The first part of his post an hour ago should, I think, have been on TNM.

Dave 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

There were the "Ashtray Hair" adverts designed to discourage smoking on the grounds that it reduces attractiveness.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

In both the NRL (Rugby League) and AFL (Australian Rules) comps here, the team at the top of the ladder at the end of the season become the Minor Premiers.

US Major League Soccer awards the Supporters' Shield to the team at the top of the table at the end of the season. The MLS Cup is awarded to the team winning the playoff.

If my count is correct only 8 Supporters' Shield winners have won the MLS Cup over 28 seasons.

It's challenging to win a playoff series. Good teams can be depleted by injury and not perform well in a playoff. On the flip-side, a team that starts slow in the early season and grows as a unit though the season might not be at the top of the table but be a deserving championship team in a playoff.

Playoffs are good business for the league - which in the end is what professional sports are all about.

Most fans watch their home team during the regular season. A much larger fan base will watch the playoffs - even if their home team didn't make it. More viewers, more $$$.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I think that the Bear has done it again. The first part of his post an hour ago should, I think, have been on TNM.

Dave 

Tell it to the Hippo.........😠

• Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1