The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Rugby enjoyed yesterday afternoon and Bath pushed Northampton all the way even though they were down to 14 men for three quarters of the match.  However it was the right result as far as I'm concerned and that's another season over.

I felt that, on the day, Bath deserved to win it and were unlucky not to.  Having said that,  I believe that the game should not have been played at all. The team at the top of the league at the end of the season are… err… champions.

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good nights sleep last night, eight hours in all with only one interruption from the dodgy knee when I rolled over onto it. Not sure what I will be doing today as there's a lot to do, so I might just sit down and catch up on the sudoku and crossword in the papers.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I was hoping to get some work done in the garden this morning, but the inclement weather conditions have put an end to that idea. So, it’s looking like a day in the workshop may be on the cards, every cloud and all that! 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

46 minutes ago, BoD said:

Having said that,  I believe that the game should not have been played at all. The team at the top of the league at the end of the season are… err… champions.

In both the NRL (Rugby League) and AFL (Australian Rules) comps here, the team at the top of the ladder at the end of the season become the Minor Premiers. Following on from that the top 8 teams compete in the finals series which goes for 4 weeks and 2 teams are eliminated each week,  before the Grand Final is played between the two surviving teams.  Thus the Minor Premiers can get eliminated in the first week of the finals and the team that came eighth in the season can go on to win the Premiership, as it is called. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PupCam said:

I’ve been watching more TT action; amazing and scary stuff.

Bear watched last night's TT Highlights as well; whilst Mickey D might not be everyone's cup of tea (he admits it in a recent Bike Magazine interview) there's little doubt that he seems to be soooooo fast at the moment - he's won four TT races (I think) this year so far and also has the "most TT wins" record (currently 29 - but it could become 30).

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Next doors daughter.. never met her in all the time they have lived there, was very loud last night, shouting, shrieking, slamming doors etc. So Baz is even less impressed with the whole family...

Is this the DIY King?  Has he finished yet, and are there any signs of it disappearing into a hole in the ground yet?

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Well, well, well, it seems that I have outBeared The Bear. 😄✌️🕺

Fraid' not, Bucko.....

Whilst Bear might enter Test Mode (purely for scientific reasons, you understand...) this will be in addition to, not instead of Bear's usual Yummy Pizza.  It'll have to be something VERY special to persuade Bear to swap (particularly as it's half the size** of Bear's norm, which itself seems to be covertly shrinking in size 🤬).

** I 'spose that's a good excuse to have extra CF's though....

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BoD said:

The team at the top of the league at the end of the season are… err… champions.

Totally agree with that statement Warren which I why I felt it was the right result although Bath were a bit unlucky and the red card possibly didn't help but losing one man very often seems to make teams play above themselves. 

We'll never know.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Speeding up,now!

Mine seems a bit slow. In fact its so slow that I cant check on the result of the Australia V England T20 game today.

Can someone look it up for me please?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mine seems a bit slow. In fact its so slow that I cant check on the result of the Australia V England T20 game today.

Can someone look it up for me please?

England won it by a mile - and the Aussies have been banned for a year due to "unsportsman-like behaviour"....

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, polybear said:

spose that's a good excuse to have extra CF's though...

There are lots of different Crosta and Mollica pizzas.  We will have one tonight. Aditi “accidentally” bought one with anchovies. The Italian ham and mushroom one is my favourite. We like them, but I don’t claim to be any kind of food critic. If we have one of the big size pizzas we share it but leave enough for a snack later. Aditi has zero shame about eating cold pizza while standing next to the fridge. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

There are lots of different Crosta and Mollica pizzas.  We will have one tonight. Aditi “accidentally” bought one with anchovies. The Italian ham and mushroom one is my favourite. We like them, but I don’t claim to be any kind of food critic. If we have one of the big size pizzas we share it but leave enough for a snack later. Aditi has zero shame about eating cold pizza while standing next to the fridge. 

Another thing I noticed was it sated my hunger, I didn't start feeling hungry until at least six hours after eating it. I will put one in my shopping basket at least once a week from now on.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

What is the "shameful bit?"  Eating cold Pizza, or standing next to the fridge?

ION.....

Bear finished watching "Rambo - Last Blood".  Let's just say it was "sticky" and will need some cleaning up.

Bear got some good ideas for anti-Hippo defences....

BG

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 10

Posted (edited)

One of the things most people don’t consider about smoking is the type of tobacco used and how it is smoked.

Cigarettes contain heavily processed tobacco, the reason being that tobacco cigarette brands are sold on the “great taste“ of the cigarette tobacco, as tobacco is a plant and its qualities vary from region to region, and from when it is harvested (plus other factors) it is processed chemically so it all ends up having the same burn characteristics to provide the unique “taste” of a given cigarette brand.

Pipe tobacco is a bit of a mixture, but most of it are just simply blends of different types of tobacco leaf, but even there for different brands of pipe tobacco, there is a modicum of chemical processing. I used to smoke a pipe in my 20s (not inhaling), but I found that the pipe tobacco I liked to smoke smelt awful whilst the pleasant smelling pipe tobacco – like those treated with cherry brandy or whiskey – were awful to smoke.

Finally, cigars are made of unprocessed tobacco, which has been graded, dried and cured. Different types of tobacco leaves are used for the different parts of a cigar (I quite recently learnt that it’s a cigar is built up of different components, each component being a different type of tobacco leaf). So if you do smoke, a cigar is probably the least lethal of the many ways of ingesting nicotine. Cigarillos (like the famous Hamlet cigarillos) are frequently as processed as cigarettes

Another factor in the carcinogenic properties of tobacco smoking is how you smoke cigarettes, pipes and cigars: cigarette smoke is almost always inhaled (not good), pipe smoke is sometimes inhaled, but mostly not, whereas cigar smoke are rarely, if ever, inhaled.

Finally, the last part of the equation, after what you smoke, and how you smoke it, is how often you smoke. 40 a day cigarette smokers are common, and even 80 a day cigarette smokers are not unknown; you’d be hard pressed to find someone who smokes more than half a dozen bowls of pipe tobacco a day and cigars generally are also smoked in smaller quantities - maybe two or three a day at most.(even if I wanted to – and I don’t - and could afford to - which I can’t - I wouldn’t be able to smoke 40 cigars a day).

As I mentioned before, in an earlier post, it’s all about risk and probability, and from my research, it does seem that my dalliance with the devil nicotine of one cigar every one to three weeks (sometimes even as little as one per month) has minimal risk with minimal probability of associated disease.

In fact, when I go to London and walk around the busier parts of the city, I am probably exposed to more airborne carcinogens from traffic fumes than I ever would be from the occasional cigar.

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

What is the "shameful bit?"  Eating cold Pizza, or standing next to the fridge?

Not sure (but probably not sitting down or not promptly shutting the fridge door!).  but Aditi was rather pleased when Nigella Lawson admitted to nocturnal snacking at the fridge. Her snack was something like grilled pigs ears though. Until that moment I thought they were something only  sold at Pets at Home stores 

• Like 13
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

One of the things most people don’t consider about smoking is the type of tobacco used and how it is smoked.

People who smoke don’t always realise how bad they smell to other people.

• Like 1
  • Agree 18

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

In fact, when I go to London and walk around the busier parts of the city,

Try Tower Hamlets for walking. Least polluted borough. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Not sure (but probably not sitting down or not promptly shutting the fridge door!).  but Aditi was rather pleased when Nigella Lawson admitted to nocturnal snacking at the fridge. Her snack was something like grilled pigs ears though. Until that moment I thought they were something only  sold at Pets at Home stores 

I usually eat breakfast standing up. It's probably a hangover from when I would sit down to travel to work, walk a bit then sit down again (for four hours or so) then walk to the work cafe, sit down ... etc. - when I worked from home because of the pestilence and lock down/other restrictions, I used to eat lunch standing up as well. 

Hugh FW is notorious for encouraging eating all parts of the animal - everything but the oink in the case of a pig - and indeed one of his local nicknames relates to that. Personally I'll happily leave certain parts of the anatomy to be eaten by him and others... though I confess I did have a newspaper cutting (DT I think) of an article suggesting the bull's [round objects] were the ideal dish for Christmas Eve stuck to the study wall for many years. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

19 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

but Aditi was rather pleased when Nigella Lawson admitted to nocturnal snacking at the fridge. Her snack was something like grilled pigs ears though. Until that moment I thought they were something only  sold at Pets at Home stores 

It would definitely freak me out if I wandered into my kitchen late at night to find some woman with a pigs ear in her mouth. Even if it WAS Nigella lawson.

• Agree 8
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

It would definitely freak me out if I wandered into my kitchen late at night to find some woman with a pigs ear in her mouth. Even if it WAS Nigella lawson.

Aditi’s midnight snacks are usually muesli and yoghurt nowadays. And probably with  the fridge door shut. 

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

though I confess I did have a newspaper cutting (DT I think) of an article suggesting the bull's [round objects] were the ideal dish for Christmas Eve

I think when Jamie Oliver did a tv series on American cuisine he camped out and ate freshly obtained prairie oysters… Don’t know if the recipe made it to the book.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 4