The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Barry O said:

We are having a little trip next week so I may start packing.

Aww jeez, its not to here is it? - I woke up to this this morning as it is!

image.png.2055a52ba2e70394ecccbde3c6d9d579.png

I made it into work but if the rain keeps up I may need to go the round-about route home.

T20 - USA vs Pakistan turned into an unexpected  nail-biter, they had to go to the super over to sort it out..

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

A maternal grandmother had a cousin killed in Palestine at the Battle of Jaffa in 1917 whilst serving with the Finsbury Rifles. He is buried near Tel Aviv.

A relative on mum's side (perhaps an uncle / great uncle of hers? I don't remember) was in the Australian Light Horse, which, attached to Allenby's forces, famously (at least in Australia) participated in the world's last successful cavalry charge (allegedly) during the Gaza campaign at the Battle of Beersheba, though I don't know whether my relative was there at the time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Aww jeez, its not to here is it? - I woke up to this this morning as it is!

image.png.2055a52ba2e70394ecccbde3c6d9d579.png

I made it into work but if the rain keeps up I may need to go the round-about route home.

Ever thought of becoming a rice grower?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 14

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

It was a very nasty time with a huge death toll. 

A colleague's father (who is Punjabi) was caught up in the cross migration from what would become West Pakistan (later Pakistan) into India. He eventually settled in north central India.

Excess mortality of the period is estimated at one million - some sources estimate two million. Perhaps 15 - 18 people relocated.

As comparison, a BBC source estimated that 3,600 people were killed during the 30 years of the Northern Irish "Troubles".

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Nice snooze, albeit briefly spoilt by "that little B1tch" as usual.

Today sees Bear having all the joys of washing machine driving - still, it sure as hell beats what Momma Bear had to do in the days when we had a Hoover Twin Tub.

I think I'll also start work on prepping adverts for Harry the Honda.....

ION.....

Whilst delivering to one of the Hospice Shops yesterday I spotted this in the Stock Room:

IMG_06521.JPG.212f1a6199176d0332de68424a02f63b.JPG

IMG_06531.JPG.89f56ea7a38141ea336fd642ecd0d75d.JPG

Initial very early Beary impressions are that it's one of Bear's better purchases 🙂 as it now means that the weight of the Lappy is no longer resting on Bear's aft paws - I've found that this can become "a pain" after a while.  A quick search on the 'bay suggests there are several used examples, as well as what I suspect to be similar (new?) copies available from a little over twelve quid upwards (some with built-in USB powered cooling fans).

Right, time to start drivin' Bertie the Bosch ....

BG

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

A busy morning of paying work ahead and then I have the whole weekend free to enjoy a bit of modelling (not r*****y, I’m building a VW camper van for Mrs iD - who has been pondering the purchase of one) and generally indulge in various misdemeanours. I may do a spot of rationalisation.

8 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Probably followed the advice of that AI Bot that said to hold the cheese in place you need to use non-toxic glue.

I thought that was de rigeuer for cheap UPF pizza.

9 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Well I had a large wedge with an extra large dollop of cream (just to wind up Bear) and very nice it was too.  The only problem is there is still some left so I'll have to suffer it all again tomorrow!   

Well Done That Man! 

The Bear is gonna have to learn that he is not the Oracle of Delphi when it comes to culinary matters and stop extrapolating his likes and dislikes to the wider population. He might not like cream, but there a millions of discerning diners - like your good self GDB - who do.

9 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

With one book barely off the slipway, if that is the right term to use following its launch, the next has been started with a mentally-planned publication date early next year.  

Well done. 

But I do have a question for you about how you judge your own work. I have written (and published) a fair amount, but this has always been scientific or hobby related material and whilst I have been sole author or lead author on many articles (including for the hobby press), generally scientific publications are team efforts.

I write things for my own amusement and Mrs iD thinks they are good enough to submit for publication . Which brings me to the question: how do you tread that fine line between rating your own writing as utter b0llocks (when actually it is at an acceptable standard) and rating that work as the best thing since sliced bread (even though it is utter b0llocks)?

One final thing about the forthcoming book, have you considered calling it “The Joy of Walks”? 😳😁

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

The Bear is gonna have to learn that he is not the Oracle of Delphi when it comes to culinary matters and stop extrapolating his likes and dislikes to the wider population. He might not like cream, but there a millions of discerning diners - like your good self GDB - who do.

Well done. 

Two words for iD....

Curly Fries.....

😁

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

@monkeysarefun nope not travelling that far this time. Just play nicely in your new water play area avoiding the salties!!

@polybear herselfshorted, priced and put out for sale 149 garments yesterday..( same day last week 2 volunteers managed 390  so herself didn't do badly) they don't count bags as some have lots in them, others have lots of non saleable items (like used underwear).

Having had a 2 hour catchup with the local ECB man yesterday afternoon today is a cricket free day. This means some muddling should be completed.. wooppppiiiiddddooo!

I may have a walk around a local park and reward myself with a Yorkshire Rascal at  the cafe.

For those travelling today.. hope it goes well.

Baz

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Good morning all,

Blue sky and sunshine here and it should be a mainly dry and sunny day.  11°C rising to 20°C.

A walk to Asda has been scheduled after breakfast to collect some magazines and a couple of other things that The Boss has deemed "essential."

After that I'm on kitchen appliance maintenance duties with both the dishwasher and washing machine, particularly the latter, needing some cleaning in the filter and soap dispenser compartments. 

Steve is visiting at lunchtime  as he's leaving his car here while going to the US of A with (our)grandson Joe tomorrow.  He's got a cat sitter living in his place for a week to look after Tigerpuss so he's leaving her his parking space.  The lads are travelling in style and Steve has got them a business class club suite? on the plane.

Later on I may visit The Shed to work out how to safely dismantle the O gauge plank without dropping it  (or anything) on the OO layout beneath it.

Tea has been taken up to Her Bossness who is now on the move so I bestbeaboutitandgettamoveon.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A colleague's father (who is Punjabi) was caught up in the cross migration from what would become West Pakistan (later Pakistan) into India. He eventually settled in north central India.

Excess mortality of the period is estimated at one million - some sources estimate two million. Perhaps 15 - 18 people relocated.

As comparison, a BBC source estimated that 3,600 people were killed during the 30 years of the Northern Irish "Troubles".

And in the same period of the troubles New York had in the ball park of 30,000 gun deaths let alone other illegal deaths...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

18 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Morning All,

Further to yesterday’s posts, we spent a couple of hours in the garden yesterday, me with my thick sweat shirt on. Not sure whats on the agenda today but it would be great if I could get the grass mowed but as all my recycling /composting bins are full a trip to the dump it site will be required. That’s not actually a bad thing as I’ve already got some stuff in the van ready to go and a cupboard carcass in the garage could do with removing.

Feeling drained so can’t imagine anything else strenuous getting done. Get up late, go to bed early and still run out of energy by mid afternoon.  Had a period of eyelid inspection one afternoon and woke up feeling even worse. Must admit it’s something i don’t usually do as I always seem to feel worse for it. The gardening yesterday was due to feeling groggy, needed the fresh air. More vitamins and less UPF may help.

Probably ought to make a move though nobody else in the house is awake. 
TTFN

Here we are limited to a certain number of visits- can never remember if it's twelve or eighteen, and as I've forgotten how many I've already done I'm expecting to be taken to one side and 'spoken to' at some point.

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I woke up at six this morning and couldn't get back to sleep again. I have a lot to do today so no time for a nap and I'd better getonwithit.

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

A bit late on parade, yesterdays hospital trip went ok......ish, they removed the worst of the polyps, but more still need doing, so I have the joy of doing it all again in6 months or so's time. NHS service was superb, the sandwich for tea however would tested even the most un fussy Bears appetite though.

I'm not sure what merits the most sympathy: the polyp removal or the sandwich 😁😱

I'm assuming they'll send the polyps they removed to the path lab to ensure that nothing is amiss - better safe than sorry.

As polyp removal requires a colonoscopy - you do get some "serious" meds during the procedure (at least I did - I got propofol - seriously tasty 😁) so not unpleasant. The worst part is the pre-op prep work.

Overclocked peristalsis is NOT fun!

Good luck on the results and next time.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... The part for the car has finally cleared customs and it’s booked in to be done. Thanks, Brexit....

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/06/06/reduced-covid-data-more-resits-and-admin/

The Master Masons who produced the stonework in your photo of Holy Trinity, Coventry were the medieval equivalent of your three top students, who then went on to years more practice and application.  The rest went on to build hovels....

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

I could use a little help. When air fryers were being discussed someone mentioned a cleaner they used successfully, I have searched the topic but the results don't give the information needed. I am hoping someone made a note at the time which I intended to do but failed...The pain from arthritc fingers was a clear reminder that there has to be a better way.

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Good thing its a flat calm, otherwise it'd be rolling like a hippo in a wallow....

They did have a reputation for rolling on wet grass. And aka 'the Pekingese of the ocean'. So in the North Atlantic, especially given the messing and galley arrangements in the early versions, diet got a bit monotonous - cold soup and soggy sandwiches (in a bowl) probably both diluted a bit and with excessive salt garnishing. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

@skipepsi

Mick, I use Oven Mate on our big oven which is pretty good .  It's a gel like substance, a bit like paint stripper, which you splodge on and leave for a while.  I then wipe off the resulting muck with kitchen towel and then wash off thoroughly with a damp cloth. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oven-Mate-Cleaning-Kit-Standard/dp/B01273WFQ4/ref=

Never used it on the air fryer though, ours doesn't get too messy so I use this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wpro-WPRO-Oven-Grill-Cleaner/dp/B07D6QTMY2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3A

Not as effective as Oven mate though.

Both are available from espares if you don't like dealing with Amazon.

https://www.espares.co.uk/search?

They both sting so use gloves and watch your eyes,  guess how I know?

HTH

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1