The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

...... how on earth did I end up with the free promotional cookbook “The Joy of Spam””

Is that the one with all the pencil drawings in or am I getting confused ......

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Its a cool but sunny day with a hint of a breeze.

I was standing in the shower, preparing for the day, when it struck me that I hadn't put the grey (recycling) bin out, and you can't trust the bin lorry to turn up at a reasonable time....

Cue rapid exit, dry off and throw clothes on so as not to frighten the neighbours, out and drag the bin to the curb.  Phew! Safe!  No-one elses bins have been emptied!

Of course, I needn't have hurried.  The bin lorry can be heard trundling about for at least half an hour, and it's not in evidence yet...

At last!

The bin lorry!!!

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I suspect there is a degree of confusion, but people were all so hairy* back then!

* And hey presto!  Back to the Vikings!

• Funny 11

33 minutes ago, PupCam said:

I know which book you are referring to... 😁

...I've go that one too (both volumes)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

Posted (edited)

After the initial, huge, success of The Joy of Sex by Dr Alex Comfort MD, every other book published for the next several years seemed to be titled "The Joy of..." Even now an awful lot of books titles begin "The Joy of....."

In the spirit of scientific exploration, I did a search and found some that could appeal to posters on here:

image.png.4c11dc1bbf4f13b4962d8364d9093938.png

9781777443634.jpg.2475bf07878d39b5d0d512de23f03772.jpg

9780008323769.jpg.f212cfb39a8238175939dc58fe5f9326.jpg

image.png.9e3473c2684f40ab6e1772eb7d9bd337.png

image.png.c429a38e5b3433319418a146ca47625b.png

image.png.b8c58c85094954ae6809774f7e7a3712.png

Screenshot2024-06-06at13-03-07TheJoyofLazinessAmazon_co.ukAxtPeterAxt-GadermannMichaela9788122203899Books.png.7ade51b0c6b8e3c5dc4865dfe1239c8e.png

I shall leave it to you to decide who gets what book in their Christmas stocking.

Edited by iL Dottore
Remove Duplicate picture
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

21 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I know which book you are referring to... 😁

...I've go that one too (both volumes)

Oh!  An advanced user then!         I'm guessing they could probably go onto the "Thinning Out" pile now in readiness for the move or maybe send them to @polybear as potential stock for the charity shop?

4 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

… but Spam has been eaten, obviously with beans!

No doubt it was a "Joy"

TT

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

image.png.9e3473c2684f40ab6e1772eb7d9bd337.png

You just had to mention the S word didn't you!   

Edited by PupCam
  • Like 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

All deliveries and collections have occurred and wonder of wonders at long last the new manhole cover has also been fitted.  Even better news is that the misbehaving interceptor is being good and we've had no blockages since the last clearance.

BBQ is now clean and it will shortly be time for lunch.  This will be followed by some "me" time in The Shed.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Typical!

A King painted in the wrong colour, obscured by the leaking steam from a BR Standard Pacific!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Typical!

A King painted in the wrong colour, obscured by the leaking steam from a BR Standard Pacific!

I do like Kings in that colour though. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The Model Prison still exists at the Port Arthur site and its a grim place to visit. The site itself is largely  a ruin but is strangely beautiful in its setting in its setting  by the water but it has an awful air about it. 

Thanks for that , just spent some time looking at it as there is some good

coverage of the site on Google maps , a lot of photo's embedded

give a good idea of the place .

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Grizz said:

Yeah but that is not the actual question that needs to be answered @polybear……the question is not whether you are open minded or not….

the question is….is your pillion companion “Open Minded????”

Looking at the skin colour I would ask , is she even alive ???

• Agree 3
  • Funny 10

46 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Given that Polar Bears (and Poly Bears) live in sub zero temperatures, perhaps the poor thing is frozen solid and PB is taking her for a spin to defrost her....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12

44 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Spam. Spam. Spam. Spam. 

Wonderful Spam.

I was tempted to take a picture of the menu but thought better of it. 
‘Spam, beans, chips and Spam does have much Spam in it’ to paraphrase a Monty Python sketch. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,

We went out shopping and paying in cash..

Arrived at bank at opening time.

Paying cash, notes had to go through a machine operated by me. It rejected one tenner. I'll compare that with others sometime.

Coins had to go via the counter staff.

Noticed, in various shops the card had to be placed in the machine, and the code typed.. I suspect there has been an outbreak of stolen cards used on the touch to pay, GY is not the salubrious of towns.

Didn't need much from tes and coes swmbo said.... Just short of £100 later.. no spam was purchased...

Charity bookshop, got 3 books, two on local area, one on parallel bits of metal in the north of Scotland.

Ben taken for long walk, got the point he's been stopping at, he stopped again.. Put on his lead and he started pulling on in the same direction.. after 50 foot or so took lead off.. and he carried on ... For a full long walk!!! 

Noticed they laying 5 inch white pipes down the side of the field underground.... It then crossed the bottom lane turned 90 degrees and continued along another field then stopped.

White is telecoms!!! What telecoms they need between two fields in a non built up area I have no idea...

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

That struck me when I saw it, and thought of the 'basic pleasure model' replicant in Blade Runner.....#cough.

More bike racing today with a great Manx day, two local lads to not far from here did the double and have won both sidecar races, and Moly came third in the second sidecar race that was held today too - I can see his house from here.  Rain has stopped play now, although it's sunny up here in the north.

ION Not a lot really, spent most of the day listening to the racing commentary on the radio while doing jobs on the camper van, new mudflaps fitted, gas checked, all that sort of stuff.

• Like 18

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I am having an eye test later that involves dilated pupils. 

That conjures up something Monty Python-esque. Billy Bunter and friends at 100 paces?

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

7 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

ION I'm addicted to Wordl, now that I've got the hang of it, it took only a few minutes to get today's word.

Try Quordle. (There are also several other varieties of the basic game.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, pH said:

Billy Bunter and friends at 100 paces?

I think the only distance check is  a car number plate at 20 metres (with glasses) so Billy would be safe I think. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The eyesight part of my eye test was covered by the NHS but I had various add ons that were not. The frames and lenses I chose certainly were not. Fortunately spectacles are no where nearly as expensive as hearing aids. All getting a bit bionic here now. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, roundhouse said:

A very nice morning here so far. I spent an hour outside the shed putting edging on to a carry case that I am building for 1/72 scale Corvette. As it was before 8 am I had to drill and hammer quietly.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

My 1/32 version from a couple of years ago.

image.jpeg.a7da30f3f4411afc8320139fc75ab560.jpeg

As it's a carry case I'm guessing it's a Flower Class Corvette - with R/C?

Does Bear win a donut?

5 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

MorningAll, (just)

At Foxy with mil… but Spam has been eaten, obviously with beans!

image.jpg.c29e5b9170ee4016eb83203df319600e.jpg

Have you not learnt the art of wiping your finger round the plate?

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

After the initial, huge, success of The Joy of Sex by Dr Alex Comfort MD, every other book published for the next several years seemed to be titled "The Joy of..." Even now an awful lot of books titles begin "The Joy of....."

image.png.b8c58c85094954ae6809774f7e7a3712.png

By the look of that Pizza the Author just hasn't got a clue.

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

Noticed they laying 5 inch white pipes down the side of the field underground.... It then crossed the bottom lane turned 90 degrees and continued along another field then stopped.

White is telecoms!!! What telecoms they need between two fields in a non built up area I have no idea...

Perhaps the "non built up area" is destined to become otherwise?

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, PupCam said:

This afternoon sees a hospital consultation for an ongoing and currently rather too active condition that I'd like very much to see the back of 'cos it blxxdy hurts!    I've also got to contact the GPs (Deep Joy) to find out if a promised referral which may or may not have any relevance to the issue  has actually happened.     

Piles playing up again Puppers?

Soak 'em in Paraffin then scrub 'em with a wire brush.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 1