The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

There was a period in Indonesia where people were wearing helmets by having them dangling over the back of their neck by the strap. Which is probably worse than just being bare headed but people were arguing they were compliant with the law in wearing a helmet.

Road safety in Indonesia is terrible, it's bad enough in a car, never mind a scooter. A lot of people don't realise that insurers will (legitimately) deny claims if injuries are suffered doing excluded and/or illegal activities.

I find that SE Asia can bring out the worst in some people. I don't condone corruption and a.....ahem...'flexible' approach to legal requirements, but I do understand why poor people in countries where it is pretty much the only way to stay afloat do what they have to in order to survive but some tourists embrace it gleefully as part of the holiday experience.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I've been singing this song now for 25 minutes.  And I'm not proud.  

Or tired.

I just checked my collection and I have what I think is the first appearance in print of Alice's Restaurant.  (Broadside magazine, 1967).

As well as vinyl.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

It's jam first then cream oodles more jam................................................

There - corrected it for you.

6 hours ago, BSW01 said:

So I gave the whole lot a trim, filling a spare garden waste bin in the process!

Bear can thoroughly recommend climbing in the bin and treading it down - works wonders, but don't do it until the bin is nearly full, otherwise climbing out again is, er, "interesting".  Ask a Bear how he knows.

Or even better, get SWMBO to do it for you....

5 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Its Australian tourists in Bali and Thailand that are the issue here. Many have never ridden a motor scooter before but can hire them for $2 a day.

And even if the rider has travel insurance,  if they arent wearing a helmet (a legal requirement in Bali that is often ignored by tourists), don't have a valid motorbike licence or are drunk, or violate some other traffic rule  their  claim will be rejected and the rider is up for all costs, which can be hefty even in low-cost S.E Asia.

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editorial/details/if-you-think-covid-19-is-dangerous-try-this-123268/

“We encourage all Australians to consider carefully the risk of motorbike travel overseas"

- and to make it compulsory to read that article before they hire a bike (though I suspect it'll make very little difference cos' they'll all think "it won't happen to me" or "It's ok, I know what I'm doing on a bike"

Bear here.....

Harry's Revenge is very much present this morning - the RH aft Paw has come out in sympathy as well now.  Turdycurses - pink pills have been deployed.

ION......

Bear spotted a Dakota flying back from France yesterday - I was rather hoping for some Red Cross Cake Parcels to parachute out the back but sadly not.....😢

BG

• Friendly/supportive 18

59 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear can thoroughly recommend climbing in the bin and treading it down - works wonders, but don't do it until the bin is nearly full, otherwise climbing out again is, er, "interesting".  Ask a Bear how he knows.

… and make sure you steady yourself (and the bin) by holding on to something separate from the bin.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, pH said:

… and make sure you steady yourself (and the bin) by holding on to something separate from the bin.

And never yell out "See - I TOLD you what you'd get, the LAST time you rang the doorbell!" while doing it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 18

8 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

It's jam first then cream................................................

1 hour ago, polybear said:

There - corrected it for you.

Removing the cream from scones? That’s one perverse Bear.

Plus when this gets out PB will be permanently banned from entering Devon and Cornwall (at the very least. it is rumoured that there is a £1 million bounty on the head of whoever came up with the Greggs “Cornish” pasty. “Dead or Alive” [preferably dead]).

They are a proud people and don’t take kindly to having their national treasures mucked about with  

I must remind Captain Cynical to give the casting director at CCI GmbH (film division) a hefty bonus on her casting choice. When it was announced that, for Early Riders, it will feature @New Haven Neil and @PupCam as the aging, yet virile, disreputable and downright dangerous bikers - Billy (NHN) and Wyatt (PC). There was not one snigger or ribald comment from ER - who are not known for their restraint and nuanced commentary. ID and CC remain amazed.

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I must remind Captain Cynical to give the casting director at CCI GmbH (film division) a hefty bonus on her casting choice. When it was announced that, for Early Riders, it will feature @New Haven Neil and @PupCam as the aging, yet virile, disreputable and downright dangerous bikers - Billy (NHN) and Wyatt (PC). There was not one snigger or ribald comment from ER - who are not known for their restraint and nuanced commentary. ID and CC remain amazed.

We’re all still too lost for words….

• Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

13 minutes ago, polybear said:

We’re all still too lost for words….

We're polite too!

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

On a slightly more serious note: the idea of criminal punishment as being both public and cathartic has a long and storied history. The Romans had a tendency to put the very worst of their criminals into the arena to face either wild animals or fully trained, armoured and weaponed gladiators. There are historians who claim that this was as much about demonstrating the might of Rome, as it was about punishing criminals.

Have we (as in the Western democracies) become more accepting of criminality or have we just given up? Low level crime seems NOT to warrant any sort of Police attention nowadays (at least in the UK and places like New York City and LA). Perhaps putting low level criminals in the stocks in a public place (with a guard or two to prevent things from getting too out of hand) to face public opinion, retribution and justice might be a more effective deterrent than the threat of a deferred sentence to an overcrowded prison system.

And yet whilst low level crime seems to mostly go unpunished nowadays, for serious criminals there are punishments so evil that even the Romans would say “whoah” By this I mean the severe prison conditions where the prisoners are kept in tiny cells for 23 hours a day, have no (or minimal) light, no fresh air, no human contact, fed the bare minimum and are permitted only 1 hour of exercise in a featureless concrete box. Florence ADX “Supermax” is one of the best examples. I’ve read that not only is suicide common (despite the prison authorities best attempts to remove anything that could be used to commit suicide), but that all but the newest prisoners have become clinically insane. To be honest, I think such prisons are more about revenge than justice.

Now I’m no “it’s the victim’s fault /society’s fault that made him do the crime” do-gooder, but I find that the Supermax prison approach to be abhorrent - worse than sticking them into the arena with a wooden stick to face gladiators. The humane thing would be to execute such prisoners. it would also be more cost-effective for the state: such prisons are expensive to man and run and that is not including the additional costs of unceasing appeals and legal aid to the guilty.

And whilst I do appreciate the argument against capital punishment centring around “can you really have irrefutable evidence of guilt” I think that there is an overabundance of evidence of their danger to society in order to land them in a Supermax prison. I think there would be very few people who would lament the demise at the hand of the state of individuals like El Chapo, or the Unabomber.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

A shrimper is one of the candidates.

Don't talk to me about shrimps....

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

The weather can’t make up its mind today, it was dull and wet, (but not raining) when I got up. As I was eating breakfast it became very windy and started to rain, but now the sun is shining! So, it’s far too wet to do any work in the garden today, not that I was anyway, due to my back issue, so a day of unspecified pottering (@Chrisf) is on the cards. As for the green bin, I always push down the contents using either a spade or a rake, it works for me AND is after than trying to stand on the contents! 

Back later.

Brian

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Last week it was the lurgy this week it's the hay fever. I'm not venturing out into the garden today as the grass is still very wet from last nights rain. Just general pottering around the house today then, be back later.

• Friendly/supportive 19