The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, polybear said:

Incidentally, can any fellow ER'ers advise if "The Real Deal" Portuguese Custard Tarts (as made and purchased in Portugal) would still be safely edible for a day or so? (though I appreciate that quality may dip a bit cos' they won't be fresh).

Bear is off on Hols to Lisbon later in the summer and I'd like to bring some back for the Hospice Warehouse Guys n' Gals; I'd buy them on the day I fly home but obviously won't be able to store them in a fridge etc. until I get home (if indeed that's a good idea). ...

I'll stay off commenting on the food safety side but one issue which might be a problem is taking food through customs. Some items they are OK with and some gets confiscated and destroyed. Sorry to [potentially] rain on Bear's parade, sounds like a nice gesture. Hope https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-into-great-britain might help. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I'll stay off commenting on the food safety side but one issue which might be a problem is taking food through customs. Some items they are OK with and some gets confiscated and destroyed. Sorry to [potentially] rain on Bear's parade, sounds like a nice gesture. Hope https://www.gov.uk/bringing-food-into-great-britain might help. 

Thanks - though every time I come thru' Airport Customs there seems to be a distinct lack of any.....

That link does state this:

You can bring the following into Great Britain from any country without any restrictions:

cakes without fresh cream

Would Bear buy a Cake with fresh cream on/in it?  You decide.....

• Like 3
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

You can never have too many of them.

Isn't that the CONTENTS?🤔

Its only cats that value empty cardboard boxes...

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Harry is now fully reassembled 😀 and piccies taken.  Humongous Tick awarded; now I need to find a loving new home for him - with an owner prepared to part with obscene amounts of Cake (and a few tokens too).....

IMG_06211.JPG.16916a82c89476420f13df267263a974.JPG

I also managed to do a diddy amount of sorting in the sh*d - lots more planned for post-din dins.  The local Metal Fairy also visited Bearsville at an ideal time - I managed to dash out quick and point out a pile of scrap he was welcome to; I also mentioned there may be more in a few days.  I did note his pickup truck also mentioned they did Conservatories, Extensions.....tempting, but I'll pass on that....🤣

BG

Very pretty.

A good thing I'm not a biker....

• Like 11
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Harry is now fully reassembled 😀 and piccies taken.  Humongous Tick awarded; now I need to find a loving new home for him - with an owner prepared to part with obscene amounts of Cake (and a few tokens too).....

IMG_06211.JPG.16916a82c89476420f13df267263a974.JPG

I also managed to do a diddy amount of sorting in the sh*d - lots more planned for post-din dins.  The local Metal Fairy also visited Bearsville at an ideal time - I managed to dash out quick and point out a pile of scrap he was welcome to; I also mentioned there may be more in a few days.  I did note his pickup truck also mentioned they did Conservatories, Extensions.....tempting, but I'll pass on that....🤣

BG

How old are the tyres - how are they holding out? 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

How old are the tyres - how are they holding out? 

Look brand new - they were kept covered whilst in storage.  It'll be up to the new owner to fit new ones.....

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

Look brand new - they were kept covered whilst in storage.

How long were they in storage? Even stored in a dry shed the rubber can age.  Perhaps that is something that should be flagged up to potential purchasers?

Oh well, time for an early lunch, followed by tooth scrubbing (again!) and off to the dentists...

Bye.....

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

How long were they in storage? Even stored in a dry shed the rubber can age.  Perhaps that is something that should be flagged up to potential purchasers?

Oh well, time for an early lunch, followed by tooth scrubbing (again!) and off to the dentists...

Bye.....

Tyres are 29 years old - birthday last month....

It will be mentioned.

• Like 15
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

A peaceful morning. Leonie came and did the housework for the last time as she starts a new job next week, I wonder who I will get next?

The 2 photo albums have been scanned.  That makes almost exactly 1,500 family photos scanned dating from about 1874 to the early 1950s.

"All" there is to sort out now is:

Great Uncle's Prisoner of War stuff including his paintings from WW2 - he was captured in Norway, he was taken to see Hitler as he was one of the first British officers captured and was a prisoner until the war ended.  On the web there are some German photos of the moment of his capture.

Grandfather's documents about the Home Guard and the Trent River Patrol from WW2.

5 albums of more recent colour photos.

1 bag of photos and documents about Mum.

1 bag of photos etc about Dad during the war - he ended up in India.

1 box and 1 ring binder of other family bits and pieces, including a lot of newspaper cuttings.

I bag of bits about the school where Dad was Headmaster.

Most of it does not need keeping.

Some of the documents are large, they will probably have to be photographed rather than scanned.

Then almost everything will go in the bin and I will send copies of the scans to my cousins.

The wartime stuff I may keep if it is interesting enough and perhaps send copies to the relevant museum(s).  I so no point in keeping paper copies of the rest.

David

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Thanks - though every time I come thru' Airport Customs there seems to be a distinct lack of any.....

That link does state this:

You can bring the following into Great Britain from any country without any restrictions:

cakes without fresh cream

Would Bear buy a Cake with fresh cream on/in it?  You decide.....

I suppose you could try contacting the makers of the Pasteis de Belem:

https://pasteisdebelem.pt/en/#produtos

We visited last year and those that did not get eaten survived in the hotel room until the next day. 

They were wasted on me but Mrs Lurker liked them.

Otherwise you could bring the box home and fill it with Waitrose ones ;)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

There seems to be an upswing in travel between Singapore and China. Three of the Chinese carriers have upped from narrow body A320s to widebodies recently. The China Southern lunch time arrival from Guangzhou has started using an A350, the early afternoon Juneyao arrival from Shanghai has gone to 787 and the mid afternoon Sichuan arrival from Chengdu has gone to an A330. Some of the China Eastern flights also seem to have gone up a size too, to 777-300. Odd they all seem to have added capacity at the same time, either an upswing in travel or they're looking for something to do with their widebodies.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11

• RMweb Gold

Home again, home again, jiggety jig....

The main thing that twinged a bit was my debit card!

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

A gentle walk to the post office was undertaken after breakfast and that was followed by more vigorous exercise in the form of car washing.  Note to self: Don't leave it so long next time, it was rotten and even had moss appearing in one or two sheltered places.  Absolutely disgusted with myself for not doing it sooner and am now paying the price in the form of aching back and limbs.  However it is now gleaming and looks like new again.  Pills have been taken and after a brief period of eyelid inspection I have rewarded myself with a muggatea and a slice of sultana and cherry cake.

I do not intend to do anything else energetic today.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 6