The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A lot of men from Cumberland fought in the India-Burma theatre. George MacDonald Fraser of Flashman fame produced one of the best memoirs of the war in 'Quartered Safe Out Here' telling of his time with the Border Regiment in Burma. When I grew up in Carlisle a lot of older people were still alive who'd fought in Burma and almost all of them had a visceral hatred of Japan up to their dying days.

• Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium

Yemen shares quite a bit in common with Afghanistan,  hardy tribes that make for superb irregular fighters and terrain almost designed for such fighters. Though Ansar Allah (houthis) are an organised force with a lot of heavier weapons and not just a bunch of tribal people. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Not much (else) to report but while out it the garden I continued my deliberations regarding our ‘forever home’.

As far away from BiL as possible?

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Today sees Bear finishing off the reassembly of Harry the Honda - refit the seat & tailpiece and the two side panels; after that I'll take oodles of piccies and start thinking about where & how much to advertise Harry for 🤔

Then I'll crack on and do some more sorting of the sh*d.....Bear is on a roll now - time to get ruthless.... 😱

Bear gone.

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Patches of blue sky amongst the clouds and there was some sunshine earlier.  Will probably become overcast but should stay dry. 13°C rising to 22°C.

A  walk to the post office is planned after breakfast as The Boss has a parcel to return.  After that I'm thinking about washing the car as it is rather dirty.  Of course , if I do, it's bound to rain.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Today sees Bear finishing off the reassembly of Harry the Honda - refit the seat & tailpiece and the two side panels; after that I'll take oodles of piccies and start thinking about where & how much to advertise Harry for 🤔

Then I'll crack on and do some more sorting of the sh*d.....Bear is on a roll now - time to get ruthless.... 😱

Bear gone.

Reminds me of the old joke.

Harry and Ruth went for a ride on his motorbike, they hit a bump in the road, and Harry rode on ruthlessly.....

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Patches of blue sky amongst the clouds and there was some sunshine earlier.  Will probably become overcast but should stay dry. 13°C rising to 22°C.

A  walk to the post office is planned after breakfast as The Boss has a parcel to return.  After that I'm thinking about washing the car as it is rather dirty.  Of course , if I do, it's bound to rain.

Have a good one,

Bob.

I hope to be painting the garage door frame and replace a section of fascia over the garage door so fingers crossed that it doesn't rain today.

• Like 15
  • Agree 2

Morning All,

Not sure what today will hold but I’ve already sent a couple of emails off,work related. Swmbo and hovis still to stir but breakfast has been taken. Looks a bit overcast and probably great for doing outside jobs but sounds like neighbor next door is already out making a noise.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

A mix of cloud and blue sky right now and pleasantly mild.  My share of the house wrok is done, e mails dealt with and one lot washing done and drying so it is time to get on with the photo scanning.

Will this be the last day?  I hope so.  Later they may be some gardening.

David

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Dull here as well, but we have plans for the day that doesn’t involve DIY, or gardening! After breakfast the plan is to go to RHS Bridgewater for a walk, a look round the garden centre AND cake! So that’s the morning sorted then. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 15
  • Round of applause 2

13 hours ago, BoD said:

Happy belated anniversary, Jamie and Beth.

Indeed. (I missed that one!)

Still married. Excellent. Well done!

They say that marriage is like prison - those who deserve it are on the inside, those who don't are outside

Make of that what you will!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a rock full of bikers. 16c and not actually wet, although the rest of the week is looking a bit dodgy.

It's also the 8th anniversary of Jayne's husband Gary being killed in a stationary RTC, (hit by a bike coming the other way after he fell over - no fault either way, just incredibly bad luck) but she likes to be on her own although shoulders are here if she needs.  So a day of thought and reflection for us all in the friendship group.

Not sure of what I'll be up to, no racing today so perhaps a mooch about looking at bikes.

@polybear Yes Mickey D, had a lot of 'attitude' but is maturing now, but I find others more agreeable, Dean Harrison is our favourite.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Look what was waiting out   in the cold and dark for me to get home!

image.png.4156e95b0241e7790174d776a8ede5aa.png

Wow! A cardboard BOX!!!  🤪

• Like 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Yeah and a big one too! 

• Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

ION

Listning to a cellist scurrying through the first part of Elgars Cello Concerto, meanwhile outside its a cool grey morn, dry with a moderate breeze.

Currently, I'm psyching myself up for an appointment with fear/the fang farrier...

Edited by Hroth
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

(re Bushido) * A code many WW2 staffers manipulated and abused for purposes I suspect the founders of the code would definitely not have approved of... 

That is one of the (many) tragedies of 1920 -1945: how honourable military traditions were perverted by extreme nationalist "racial purity" ideologies.

This is Bushido as it should be

screen-shot-2017-07-11-at-4-47-54-pm.png.6c493f35c4bc5dd36fd21fcab75d30b0.png

And the 7-5-3 ethos:

7+5+3+code_v2.jpg

Edited by iL Dottore
Remove Duplicate Image
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this morning as just as I was signing into RMweb my internet connection went down. In the past when that happened I would contact my IP on my landline to find out if it was them or a fault with my equipment. However now my landline is on the hub that went down as well. They changed it over within the last year before then the landline was on a separate system. That is a rant.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Bushido

The culture and nurturing of bushes*. T Pratchett.

* Actually the Dean, UU in Reaper Man, though I haven't looked it up...

• Like 2
  • Funny 14