The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But can you remember why you put it there?

The important thing is remembering what its FOR....

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night. Woke up once but no idea of what the time was but I went straight back to sleep again. The lurgy is still hanging on but only the odd cough or sneeze. I might venture out to do some of the G word as the fresh air does me the power of good.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DaveF said:

It was a long way for the ships to travel from Northumberland to the D Day beaches

Dad went from near Southampton and said that he was glad that it wasn’t further. Their landing craft(tank) developed a fault but the captain said they might as well carry on to Normandy anyway. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

As part of the ongoing diet, Just had a salad lunch, on completion I said just what the doctor ordered, to which my wife replied "yes but not what the husband would have".........................................she's not wrong lol

• Like 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 11

3 hours ago, PupCam said:

Speaking of which.  I note that a shed load of Dakotas were at Old Warden last weekend on their way to North Weald ready for the 80th anniversary commemorations

Related to this story?

Arrrrrgh BBC link wont paste but the gist is Grant  Shapps is looking for something due to lack of Atlas A400s

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

There was something in the news a few days ago with Mr Shapps claiming the fact that we don't have enough A400 transports to do the commemorative parachute drop proves we have to spend more on defence. I think the operative word is defence. If the RAF doesn't have enough transports to fulfil its obligations then I think it would indeed indicate we need more of them. However, staging commemorative airshow type stuff isn't really an essential defence requirement. As an aside, has he been questioned why the government offloaded all of the RAF C130Js (still a current and capable aircraft) if we're short of airlift capacity?

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Haven't ventured out into the garden yet, too busy with the housework yet, just put the washing machine on so bettergetamoveon.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Been working on Harry the Honda today, which is now out of the sh*d once more.  New battery fitted (easier said than done - the +ve lead was a real pig to do) then all lights etc. checked & working; that's the first Tick.

Then the plugs were removed and the engine spun over (with the ignition off) to get the oil nicely pumped around the engine for the first time in 29(?) years.  Another Tick.

Post- din dins and the fuel tap and tank were fitted and some fuel put in.  Another Tick.

Then it was time for some noise....

It took a while for the fuel to get thru' for the first time (always does) and refill the carbs.  Once that had happened then Harry started 😀....

But.....

Harry was running like a pig - very lumpy and obviously misfiring.  Turdycurses.  It didn't improve with time so Bear decided to investigate further.  I discovered that No. 4 Carb float bowl wasn't filling with fuel.  Piggin' Turdycurses.

Then after a bit more running No. 3 float bowl started misbehaving as well - no fuel.  Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.

At this point Harry decided to become a right 'sterd to start, and when it does it's as lumpy as Hippo Poo and cuts out at the slightest excuse.  Bluddy Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.  And just when things were goin' so nicely too.

Bear has decided that sulkin' is in order, along with a ponder.  I'll do a bit more fiddlin' tomorrow but I very much suspect that the bank of four CV Carbs may well need to be removed and stripped for examination and cleaning.  Bluddy Bluddy Rattin' Piggin' Turdycurses.

As to whether or not A Bear can be Ar5ed to do that or not remains to be seen (at the moment I've a distinct feeling of "I just can't be F. bothered - life's too short") - Harry will be advertised as needing "Recommisioning" anyway so I may well try my luck "as is" first; if I don't get any bites (and at a sensible price) then I can always progress to Plan 2.

BG

• Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Just got back in from my first summer jaunt!

Visited Little Moreton Hall near Congleton in Cheshire.  Apart from the Hall, which can give lessons to the wonky pub in terms of bendiness, the most interesting thing about this NT property is that they don't have an NT gifte shoppe.  instead, its all second hand books...

I came away with a book on things that run on parallel strips of metal. 🙃

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Moreton_Hall

Edited by Hroth
Link to wikipedia page
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

If this doesn’t   put hairs on my chest(or make me visit the smallest room in the house) nothing will!

IMG_8830.jpeg.b563f4227a41faece99db79f5f4d4393.jpeg

I Would drink that pretty quickly.

Hovis , or is it Syd, looks pretty determined.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium

Hello again from Estuary-Land. Just finished dinner, beef stroganoff and very nice it was too, dessert was a few fresh raspberries. Now to get on with Farcebook, be back later.

• Like 16

... discovering that plastic boxes in which hundreds, if not thousands, of small parts have been stored have become brittle and have given up the ghost. An afternoon of swearing followed by sorting and renewing. Tomorrow more of the same. ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/06/01/covid-spring-boosters-cynical-money-distribution-age-related-plastic-fatigue/

• Friendly/supportive 19

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, BoD said:

I Would drink that pretty quickly.

Hovis , or is it Syd, looks pretty determined.

Thats actually Syd. You can tell by the white patch on his chest. They’re both in the bad books. Syd pinched a slice of cake this afternoon at fil’s and Hovis has just been on the table at tea time finishing off the left overs. 

IMG_8785.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 7