The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Still coughing and sniffing another nights sleep is in order, if bladder control lets me. Things are getting better though but very slowly. Time for another hot milky drink.

• Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 45156 said:

Dave - based on what I had today, the Feathers is OK.

I'm glad to hear it. I was saddened by your earlier experience as we were hoping to visit the Feathers again having really enjoyed it last time. It sounds as though your previous visit caught them on a bad day.

Dave 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

the confrontation between a large German coach and a smaller Italian coach between Zennor and Morvah. German coach could not reverse

I was driving the bus out there on one occasion when, in that section and specifically at Rosemergy Farm, I met a German tour-coach coming the other way. 

At that point there is almost no visibility in either direction as the single track road wiggles through the farm. Neither of us could have seen the other coming. We met face to face - both with a number of cars behind - at a point where one or other of us would have to reverse.

Herr Tourist-Reisen Fahrer threw his hands up in horror at this. After a brief stalemate he leaned from his (left-hand drive) cab window and said something to the effect of “You must go back”.

Knowing the road and knowing he was only 200m from a wider spot where I had almost half a mile of stone-walled single-lane behind me I suggested it might be his move. He disagreed. I got my book out and started reading.

With increasingly impatient motorists behind us both and impasse apparently upon us he finally gave up, exited his vehicle and offered me his seat. 

Which I duly took. After a brief moment to familiarise myself with the controls and a word of warning to the cars behind I promptly reversed his coach into the farm gateway in one move to the applause of his passengers. 

I resumed my own seat and carried on leaving Herr Professionalbusfahrer to extract his shiny-mobile from between stone gate-posts. I had left him about six inches either side. 

And that’s still the only Setra I have driven. Nice coach. 

My view 

IMG_6787.png.ef3207f0e62411f7613e1fdb1bb86c44.png

His view

IMG_6786.jpeg.d4b521017a16a6c5e580d1e2ab6c65a7.jpeg

Red arrows show my moves of his coach - forward just enough to then reverse off the road between the gate posts! 

IMG_6788.jpeg.3f189108f8eab88be047bca7a3999c98.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 6

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

I wonder if NK people that are allowed out for business reasons

always have a government approved ' nark ' in the team to ensure

that no one bad mouths Dear Leader or the Country in general .

In fours:

Hương told the police that she was instructed by four men who were traveling with them ...

Very nasty business.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I don't know if true but I was told by the Republic of Korea people in a meeting that the DPRK allows people to travel but they have to have family that stay in the country. The logic being if they misbehave or defect they might be OK but good luck for those still in North Korea. I can't vouch for it but it seems a reasonable explanation consistent with other information. 

ISTR a news report/leak from DPRK alleging that a (large?) group of previously in-favour dignitaries were now very much out of favour and were lined up and shot with a 50 cal. (?) machine gun; meanwhile those dignitaries still in-favour were to watch this little show......and any noted to be looking away (or closing their eyes) were told that they would join the line-up.

No idea if it's true or not, of course - but I for one can believe it.

ION......

A much better snooze last night, luckily - only one visit from CC's bluddy wee wee fairy at 01-summink so that's a Tick.

And finally.....

The scales were nicely on the 68 this morning.  That's another Tick.

BG

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Iran is another country for which our interference really came back to bite us. In 1951 Mohammad Mossadegh became Prime Minister of Iran. He would probably be best described as a left of centre progressive using modern terminology. He wanted to audit what would later be BP and take greater control of Iranian oil after which the US and UK organised a coup in 1953 and put the Shah in control. As might be expected, if you suppress centrist opposition and those wanting to achieve change through constitutional means people turn to more extreme alternatives. In all the wailing about Iran there's very little acknowledgement from western Iran hawks that our meddling and subsequent support for the Shah is a significant part of why Iran became the Islamic Republic that it is today.

There are plenty of similar examples in Africa, Latin America and other parts of Asia. In more recent times attempted regime change efforts in Iraq, Syria and Libya as well as Afghanistan have been disastrous for pretty much everyone.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Well that was quick, it was meant to be the end of June...

Order.png.6075a4eb151b5fbf35ec4a3cc8a6030f.png

You jammy b****r! ANOTHER 3D printer?!? (and I’m not even on my first!).

Are you starting up a print farm? (cue “incredibly envious” emoji)

Should the bungalow purchase work out, I’ll have plenty of space for 3D printers AND a M**** R****** in the cellar (which will still have a room left over for Mrs iD’s craft room!)

As much as I love the idea of doing resin printing, I’m not sure if the new generation FDM printers wouldn’t be a less complicated solution (so no washing and curing after printing). Certainly what the 3D printers from Bambu Labs are able to do is pretty much up to the level of detail a resin printer can achieve - at least according to what has been presented on YouTube.

(looks ‘round nervously in case the Mighty Awl is lurking…) I’ve recently viewed some YouTube videos about using the current iteration of Templot - which not only allows to design accurate and prototypical track, but also converts the resulting design into files for printing on a 3D printer (FDM for sleepers and resin for the chairs). This could be the perfect solution for decent t***k.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Good morning all,

Another dull start to the day here.  Sunny spells and showers, some heavy and possibly thundery forecast.  It will be breezy and a bit cooler.  12°C rising to 19°C.

Thursday brings with it multiple bin lorries and Ocado who once again say they will be delivering everything we've asked for.  Must admit their service is far better than we ended up experiencing with Sainsbury's and it's worth paying a bit more for.

No plans made for today yet but The Boss has appeared and is already saying things like "What shall we do today?" which is always a worrying sign. I have pointed out that we can't go out as I'm waiting for a delivery from the chemist as yesterday's prescribed medication was out of stock.  Of course that does leave me wide open to "assist" with certain domestic tasks. 

Never mind Bob, better bite the bullet and gerronwith whatever is "requested."

Have a good one,

Bob.

I guess “play trains” would be the wrong answer?

23 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

You jammy b****r! ANOTHER 3D printer?!? (and I’m not even on my first!).

Are you starting up a print farm? (cue “incredibly envious” emoji)

Should the bungalow purchase work out, I’ll have plenty of space for 3D printers AND a M**** R****** in the cellar (which will still have a room left over for Mrs iD’s craft room!)

As much as I love the idea of doing resin printing, I’m not sure if the new generation FDM printers wouldn’t be a less complicated solution (so no washing and curing after printing). Certainly what the 3D printers from Bambu Labs are able to do is pretty much up to the level of detail a resin printer can achieve - at least according to what has been presented on YouTube.

(looks ‘round nervously in case the Mighty Awl is lurking…) I’ve recently viewed some YouTube videos about using the current iteration of Templot - which not only allows to design accurate and prototypical track, but also converts the resulting design into files for printing on a 3D printer (FDM for sleepers and resin for the chairs). This could be the perfect solution for decent t***k.

Not sure the Templot printed track will go down to 3mm - might be worth asking the question on the Templot forum

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

ION

The bungalow may turn out to be a keeper. Once we have clarification about how susceptible the house is to damp (it may just be the row of houses that Mrs iD’s niece lives in that has a damp problem and we get some estimates of refurbishment costs, we’ll probably go ahead with the purchase. It’s not perfect (but as they say “perfect is the enemy of the good”), but it certainly pretty much ticks all the right boxes.

If purchased, as the house is empty (the 90 year old owner recently went into a care home) we can refurbish with ease. To be done are

• new kitchen
  • new bathrooms
  • new windows (possibly)
  • clearance of the courtyard garden and its replacement with a Japanese style low maintenance garden
  • upgrade of electrics
  • repainting

The “bit of a headache” part is sorting out the damp cellar. I suspect that modern technology (including a professional quality and capacity dehumidifier with auto pump out/drainage) should be able to sort out this issue.

I wonder if @polybear does a “house refurbishment for cake” scheme?

I will be in good company, as - like @Winslow Boy- I won’t have a shed, but I will have an underground lair. Which kinda knocks a shed into a cocked hat.

IOON (In Other Other News)

Diet proceeds apace, and as it’s a low carb diet I find myself reduced to eating things like today’s breakfast: bacon, soss, scrambled eggs and mushrooms. Definitely low carb. It’s tough dieting - but I have the willpower - so I am not missing the baked beans 🤣🤣 Single Malt Whisky IS permitted - so it’s not all hair-shirt, self-flagellation abnegation. 😁

The underperformance (to put it diplomatically) of one research site continues to be a headache - a very expensive headache. I’m having to redo all the work I’ve done due to them providing the wrong - key - information to us (a bit like expecting to be sent an EM track gauge, only to find out you’ve been sent an OO gauge instead). Which means that I shall once again be pocketing (quite) a few extra and unexpected bob this month.

Finally, the great downgrade (from 4mm to 3mm) proceeds apace. The Hornby stocks have been catalogued and this weekend I’ll be cataloguing the Bachmann, Dapol, Heljan and “other” stocks.  Mostly GWR, but other stuff as well. PM me if curious.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of the Koreas, I see that the North is chucking dirty stuff at the South via balloon.  It reminds me of chimps at the zoo "mudflinging"* at the spectators.

* Slight bowdlerisation as its too early in the morning for terminalogical exactitude...

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Another dull and wet start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. Sheila is busy getting herself ready for her Zumba class, so I’m sat in the dining room keeping out of the way! Once again I’m on door answering duties, as I mentioned yesterday, we both have packages due, Sheila’s package is due today between 11 and 2, mine just says it’s in transit, so it could be today, or possibly (more likely) tomorrow. So, once back from dropping Sheila off at the church hall, I’ll once again some more unspecified pottering in the cellar, so that I’m available to answer the door. 

Back later. 

Brian

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Greyish, coolish, breezy. BBC says showers around tennish, then sunny spells from twelve.

I wish the weather would make its mind up!

Now to stagger downstairs for brekky.....

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

It's just started raining again.  We had a thunderstorm yesterday evening with torrential rain for a while.

Once again it looks like being an "indoors day" after I come back from church.

I've had cramp the last 2 nights, this morning I have had a glass of water with salt in it which usually cures it.

David

• Friendly/supportive 19