The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Always took some Imodium with me when travelling, especially in Saudi..

I wouldn't be surprised if the national service system had a get out clause, if you attend university with a 95% attendance record you don't get called up.

Evening Awl,

All notices etc put back into storage, MRC very noisy with reassembly of units of unmentionables.

Two red deer seen on the way to the MRC, one muntjac on the way way back, many baby thumpers scattered in the garden as I drove in.

The wooden chalet house the excavated from the under growth, a big digger has been in and demolished a brick shed and a wooden shed..  then to my surprise they didn't bulldoze the chalet, they've removed the roof tile by tile, boarded up the windows and doors.. it looks like they are going to rebuild it!!.

At the MRC much discussion on a new unit of unmentionables, a real place squeezed into a small size. Much research needed.

I may as well start, while supping this muggachoccy.

Goodnight Awl.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve not done a great deal today, as I mentioned earlier, just some more unspecified pottering (@Chrisf). But I have made a bit of progress with my micro layout, the outside of the box has been painted and it now looks a lot tidier. The next step is to build a traverser for it, but that’ll have to wait for a bit, as all the bits are in the workshop and I’ve been tasked with door answering duties tomorrow. We both have packages due and Sheila will be busy ironing, she’s ironing bedding and this is a task she likes to do without being interrupted! 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

It really is comical how so many Britons really get bent out of shape about biometric passports and ID cards when, thanks to the pervasive and ubiquitous use of smart phone apps, online fora, "free" WI-FI access (usually requiring the provision of an eMail address in order to log on), not to mention Amazon and other online shopping services, if anyone (or any organization) considers you to be a "person of interest", they won't have to do much legwork to find out what they want to know about you.

In which case, we don’t need an ID card at all.

or should that be a CC card? 😉

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 5

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Bear went for a wander down the Big Hill for a pitstop in the Cafe prior to seeing the quack - the Docs Surgery (not Bear's usual one, but part of the same empire) was like sleepy hollow.  However, I did get to see a quack who seemed like a decent guy and pretty thorough, which is a Tick.

It seems that Bear has a serious case of......

TRIFFIDITIS......😱

Remember Bear mentioned I helped Buddy over the road to cut down a bluddy great tree (Ok, 20ft) in his back garden a few weeks back?  Well to get to it meant hacking my way thru' the Amazon Rain Forest - during which time various Bear killin' plants** may have brushed against Bear's fur....

(**green leaved jobbies, with the leaves all joined together by woody bits)

The result?  Well Bear now has various itchy burny reddy areas on his fur, all of which are proving to be a right PITA (no - I haven't got any reddy bits THERE....fortunately....) - hence the rather cr@p night last night (and on previous nights too).

Anyway, Doc has dished out some super duper creamy stuff to Bear - which hopefully will mean that Bear should scrape thru' after all, with a little luck......

I did note a warning on the packet warning Bear to stay away from naked flames etc., otherwise I might spontaneously combust (ok, summink like that....).  No worries there then.

Bear gone....

It's revenge of the greenies. That'll teach you. Why do you think 'people in the know' aka the Professionals never ever, why apart from down under but there just show offs, ever wear shorts and t-shirts when hacking - technical term that, overgrown foliage. Bear you have been told.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

I think the problem with travel is many feel bitter about a certain event. We're not in the EU, therefore the border between Britain and the EU is just another international border needing an international travel document. It is what it is, many countries now require fingerprints and most places I visit now take a photograph.

I see a lot of British people whinging, I get that but we are not part of the EU and so are visitors like any other. Similarly I see people in the EU complaining that they can't use their ID card to visit Britain, well no, it's not an international travel document outside the EU. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

Puppers here!

Feeling slightly miffed*.  I'm having trouble with my Arduino interrupts.  Well, reliable (not too few, not too many) interrupts from an IR sensor to be precise.    It shouldn't be this difficult!    It's a simple job, all it's got to do is count some pulses and it can't even count properly.    Anyway, I've spent wasted far too much time on this and  I'm going to put it to one side for a bit.  Then I'm going to sneak up on it and give it such a thrashing it won't mess with me again.  

As usual, IT WILL NOT DEFEAT ME IN THE END!

* Actually, I'm well and truly miffed to be honest;   More miffed than Mr Miffed from the planet Miffed if truth be told.

TTFN

Persistent Puppers

A Hammer is your friend.

3 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

I think the problem with travel is many feel bitter about a certain event. We're not in the EU, therefore the border between Britain and the EU is just another international border needing an international travel document. It is what it is, many countries now require fingerprints and most places I visit now take a photograph.

I see a lot of British people whinging, I get that but we are not part of the EU and so are visitors like any other. Similarly I see people in the EU complaining that they can't use their ID card to visit Britain, well no, it's not an international travel document outside the EU. 

I get the distinct feeling that certain countries** in the EU are being a right PITA towards the UK just because they're sulkin' because we left.

**France in particular

Perhaps they'd do better to remember just how much money they make out of UK Holidaymakers - they'll have a lot more to whinge about if we went elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

54 minutes ago, pH said:

a dog-wash!

They're in all the fancy 'show homes' as well. Usually located near or part of the garage and not in the interior of the house.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

Where's our antipodean enthusiast of simians? I haven't seen anything for a few days, all OK I hope.

Around - responded to a post 'an hour' ago. Posted in the 'Australia' thread on a Sydney question recently.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

It's revenge of the greenies. That'll teach you. Why do you think 'people in the know' aka the Professionals never ever, why apart from down under but there just show offs, ever wear shorts and t-shirts when hacking - technical term that, overgrown foliage. Bear you have been told.

Spot On, Winnie, Dear Boy. Spot On.

Five minutes on Google and these bloody amateurs think that they know better than highly trained and experienced professionals. Ten mouse clicks and they believe that they’re another Percy Thrower…

And if you think horticulture is bad, I could make your hair curl with stories about what patients get up to with the help of Dr Google.

• Like 13
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

I get the distinct feeling that certain countries** in the EU are being a right PITA towards the UK just because they're sulkin' because we left.

**France in particular

It sounds to me, Bear, that you are just itching to get some chums together and “give Johnny Foreigner a jolly good thrashing

Captain Cynical can do you a good deal on some gunboats if you are so inclined.

However, it must be mentioned that diplomacy is known to be favoured by some.

”War-War” or “Jaw-Jaw”? (to paraphrase Churchill), it’s all the same to the good Captain, there’s money to be made, whichever way the wind blows…

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Shark to be deployed, kitchen floor to be swabbed, its cleaning day.

Wire strangling now just about complete. Wooooopppppiiiidddddooo!

Supposed to bebumpiring some ladies cricket today but after our recent downpours I think bog snorkeling might be more appropriate.

People don't do anything other than whinge and moan about I'd cards yet I had numerous work passes over the years.. and no one whinged about them. Of course our future is ours with less bureaucracy..  yes! Right!

Time to as @grandadbob says gerramoveon!

TTFN!

Baz

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Many years ago my ex Sil and his football club went to Holland to play in a tournament. One of his friends took his wife's passport by mistake.  Got there and back with no problems whatsoever which is a little bit concerning.

Still haven't gottamoveon, I'd best be about it.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Not long after the tunnel opened three of us went on a combined trainspotting and booze buying trip to Calais and Dunquerke.  Half way down the M1 Dave told us that he'd forgotten his passport.  We just drove through the booths with me holding the two passports in my hand.  No problem at all.

It is a bit stricter nowadays.  However as we have official French residency cards we can allegedly drive through the EU citizens lane when the new system comes in. It

Just gets a tad interesting when we use the Rotterdam Hull ferry as we exit and enter via another EU country. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium

My objection to ID cards is how they're sold by some. There are many practical benefits and they can make many bureaucratic chores a lot easier. However, I get deeply suspicious when some (especially a former PM) appear after every terrorist incident, crime spree etc claiming ID cards to be some sort of panacea. Looking around the world there are obvious many uses for ID cards but they don't stop crime, scammers, terrorism etc. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

Work ID crads.

In my last few years of working in school as a consultant, going in now and then, I was once stopped at the gate by the security man as I didn't have a car parking permit on my windscreen.  Then he asked for my work ID card which was supposed to be on a lanyard round my neck.  I didn't have either because no one had thought to make them for me.  He then asked who I had come to see as he wouldn't believe I worked there. Eventually he rang the school office who vouched for me.  That day I spoke to the HR lady who organised the things I needed.

When I finally retired I went to HR on my last day to hand in my keys, they were very surprised that I had a full set of master keys and outside door keys as they had no record of issuing them to me.  I had to remind them that I had worked there for 33 years and that when they moved into the new building the then Headteacher had simply given me the keys he thought I might find useful, just I had always had for the old building.

David

• Like 19