The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I must admit, as an airline geek an influencing factor for me is whether a transfer opens up the opportunity for a couple of hours of interesting spotting. A reason I like Air China is the opportunity to take snaps at Beijing Capital airport. Perhaps contrary to assumptions it's a spotter friendly airport and I have never had issues using a camera. The Air China international terminal offers superb views of two of the runways and large parts of the airfield.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The LCCs in Asia aren't that bad. I have used Vietjet a few times, it's basic no frills transportation but it has been better than experiences with Euro LCCs like Easyjet and Ryanair.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

I havent been on a short haul flight since 2018 and only one long distance return flight since the pandemic and that was a direct flight from Heathrow to LAX. In the past I have enjoyed transfers but really glad that last trip was direct as that Christmas most of the USA flights were a mess.

We are currently planning our Summer trip but I know so many people that have had flights cancelled that I think we will be using Eurostar, if we do go abroad.

Last Saturday we were much more local, with a train to Reading then bus to Aborfield to visit a Siren Brewing and Elusive Brewing (. As we were travelling out of Reading along comes a cyclist the wrong way in the middle lane of the 4 lane one way system. He nearly didn't make it as he was heading stright for the bus. The return trip was the same bus number but bus stop the other end of the industrial estate to Wokingham. However Google shows the bus stop in a dead end road and the bus companies app shows the wrong bus stop as we saw the bus approach the roundabout then head a different way, so a long wlak and a bus an hour later to Wokingham. At least it was a very pleasant afternoon and the hours break before resuming drinking did us good. A suitable email has gone to the bus company with a screen shot of their app showing the wrong routing of the bus.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Switzerland in 2019 was dead last (36.1%). (Though there is an asterisk - related to compulsory voting in one Canton. I'm unsure of the relevance.)

There is a degree of referendum fatigue (we have about 5 or so per year, plus local referenda), this is true. But it also seems that there is a lot of selective voting inasmuch as people often won’t go and vote for an initiative or referendum that will not affect them. I have certainly missed a number of votes - sometimes as in “oh #@#&£, I forgot to vote” and sometimes because it is on something I know little about and will not affect me.

I don’t have any statistics to hand, but I think that turnout depends on the topic. A recent one, which I think had a very large turnout, was an initiative to increase the AHV (state pension). Directly interested, I voted (the initiative passed).

I also suspect low voter turnout is partly due to disinterest/apathy amongst younger voters - something I think is a common problem to Western Democracies.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My dad was in the RAN (grey funnel line) during his national service (late 1950s). He was still a reservist into the Vietnam War where he participated in at least one (noncombatant) late 1960s Vung Tau Ferry run on HMAS Sydney (R17).

This sort of thing is why a non-military service option is needed to get support behind such proposals. It is proper to offer conscientious objectors an opportunity to serve with distinction. It also mitigates some of the 'bone spurs' or Texas Air National Guard preferential treatment for scions of the influential.

My father was a pacifist and spent the war years teaching in West Africa.  I don't know if it was a reserved occupation or if he was over the age limit for conscription.  He was 25 in 1939.  

Jamie 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

6 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

Your distaste for the sleazyjet/Irish Rover model misses the point that most of the European short haul operators now mimic the basic flight and everything is extra model.   BA, Air France/KLM, Lufthansa all now charge for hold baggage, reserved seats, etc.

Err, I didn’t. I also wrote “In Europe at least this has seen the degradation of the travel experience for economy class passengers (with spill over to business class as well)” It’s definitely a race to the bottom, spurred on by the low cost carriers.

In researching flight prices for PB, I saw that SWISS offers no less than four types of economy class fares - from “economy light” (where you get just the flight and a piece of hand luggage, no changes of any kind permitted) to “economy flex” (flexible, changeable with all the usual features you used to get except on-board food).

But, as seems to be the case now in too many things, most everything that used be considered standard and part of the package now costs extra.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Thai Airways are merging Thai Smile (their LCC) into their regular operation and keeping the aircraft the same. This is being watched with interest as it means flights operated using former Thai Smile A320 aircraft will have Euro business class, i.e. economy class seating with the middle seat unsold. If passengers accept it then there is a good likelihood others will follow suit and have a single cabin configuration in which you can adjust business/economy mix by just moving the curtain divider. The problem of course is that business class just becomes more expensive economy onboard. Many (but certainly not all) intra-Asian flights on airlines like Thai are connecting with long haul flights and for that market it probably won't make much difference but why pay $$$$$$s extra if you're just sat in the same seating? I get expedited ground handling and lounge access on Star Alliance anyway by having a Singapore AL frequent card so I get the other useful benefits anyway if I select the right airline.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

My father was a pacifist and spent the war years teaching in West Africa.  I don't know if it was a reserved occupation or if he was over the age limit for conscription.  He was 25 in 1939.  

Jamie 

In 1939 it was 41 years old.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

Bear here....

Up at sillyo'clock (half five - that bluddy wee wee fairy again).

Today?  "Stuff"; I have a chassis jig that needs a clean n' oil to get rid of very light corrosion (bluddy flux), despite having done so after the last Missenden Abbey.  Turdycurses.

After that?  Well I reckon it's about time Bear had a serious sort out of clothes danglin' in the wardrobes;  many I'm just not going to wear again and some (= strides) are now too baggy to fit properly now that Bear is on the dreaded Big D (69Kg, incidentally - which is the same/slightly lighter than before I went on Hols - a definite Tick).

At which point it'll be MIUABGAD.

BG

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a very wet rock with a 16c strong wind. First TT practice day of course. 🙄

ION, we'll probably go for a 600v DC powered ride on something running on steel strips, for lunch in the big city.

Apres midi matters are supposed to improve, weather wise.  We'll see.

I used fly a lot as a young man, as our ships seldom came very near the UK.  I enjoy flying, well no the boring bits but when there's something to look at it is interesting.  However with my good friend MB being close to losing his life due to the previously mentioned DVT, the idea of long haul is less appealing.  I doubt my broken bones and joints would appreciate it either.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

One of my pet hates is the seeming lack of respect for young people. I'm under no illusions that there aren't bad young people who conform to the negative stereotypes but most young people I meet are decent, polite young individuals and most of those I meet who can be a bit naughty just need a word to calm down and behave. However the way parts of the media and political establishment talk about young people you'd think we were in some sort of dystopian nightmare world. Certainly I see just as much bad behaviour from my generation and older than I see in teenagers and young people. 

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 5
  • Agree 12

The idea of national service does have it's appealing points but my concern is two fold. Firstly finding something for the Herbert's to do particularly once the do gooders have finished setting the scheme up and secondly ensuring that the do gooders offspring aren't exempt.

Having had some dealings with voluntary organisations I've found them distinctly lacking in wanting the project/scheme to succeed. To the organisation it is more a case of 'work for idle hands' and if it fails it fails.

I have noticed that in recent times there has been a distinct shift in not wanting to put the work in i.e not keeping people motivated and not letting potential volunteers know what on offer.

The Probation Service is definitely hit and miss. Some of them won't be involved unless it benefits the parolee. So picking litter or cleaning graffiti off is seen as demeaning but clearing undergrowth and planting things oh yes. 

I can recall the YTS schemes of the 70's and a lot of environmental works were done then but of course they were provided with tools, clothing and more importantly materials. All of which cost money.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold

Today's first shower has just passed by and the sun is out again.  So far I have dusted and got some washing on.  As it is a bank holiday Leonie will come to do the rest of the housework on Wednesday.  I've also done a few small repair jobs fixing minor problems like a bit of trim on a kitchen cupboard shelf, tightening up a cupboard door catch and so on.  They have needed doing for months, today they seemed like simple two minute jobs, which they were.  I must at long last be about back to normal.

The rest of the day will involve some scanning and if the showers stop then a bit of gardening, the dahlias which are growing need a proper home and some mint needs repotting.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Its been damp in the early hours, and the forecast is sunny spells with showers.  Typical BH weather!

May go out later...

Edited by Hroth
tablet keeps skipping virtual keypresses. Need to clean screen!
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

With all this talk about flying, I must admit that I've never flown anywhere for holidays or business. In fact, the only time I've flown at all was on a light aircraft piloted by a friend who had a PPL, and that was from Speke airport when the old control tower and hangers were still in use!

As a family, we holidayed on our narrowboat and traversed the majority of the navigable canals in England.  For a time, my mental map of the geography of England was skewed by an appreciation of how long it took to get to anywhere by canal...

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's your typical bank holiday weather here as it's raining, so any planned work in the garden will have to wait. However, my back has been giving me a bit of gyp this morning, so the fact that I'm staying inside will probably be a good thing. I'm currently in cellar sat at the desk in the office, it's nice and cool down here, not that it's very hot outside! I've not got a lot planned, just sorting bits out and looking for detail bits for the micro layout, handrails, ladders etc. 

Back later

Brian

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Cheese Rolling Day?

Hurrah!!!

It merits a BBC Live! report? 🤔

What does concern me are the people and organisations who want it banned on various grounds.

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a bad night last night but the joints were seized up again this morning so I had to take care until they loosened up. Time for that second muggatee.

• Friendly/supportive 13