The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

The next one up appears to be in the Leeds , Manchester , Sheffield triangle, bit difficult to be precise under all that yellow and red.

We ( Swmbo, Hovis, Syd and myself) can confirm it is chucking it darn, being in the triangle. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, The Lurker said:

I always find that most so called depressing music is actually uplifting,

And some comedy songs can be quite dark.

For instance "The Christmas Orphan" and "From a father to a son" by John Shuttleworth would be massively downer songs if sung by say Mariah Carey.

Probably just because its Mariah Carey though,  on second thoughts.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Whenever I need to cheer myself up with a happy song I listen to 'I want to Live' by This Mortal Coil, gloriously joyous and uplifting💪

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Whenever I need to cheer myself up with a happy song I listen to 'I want to Live' by This Mortal Coil, gloriously joyous and uplifting💪

I have gaps in my music knowledge. The 1980s has huge gaps. I was really rather ill for the first half of the 1980s and then in a very interesting but time consuming job in the latter half. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

And some comedy songs can be quite dark.

I think jolly tunes with dark lyrics are deliberate. 
Some other songs get misinterpreted though. The Police “Every breath you take” isn’t romantic, it is about a stalker . Prince’s “ Little Red Corvette” is not about a car. Michael Jackson’s “Ben” is about a homicidal super rat, and Bryan Adams “Summer of 69” isn’t about 1969. 

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, DaveF said:

... I tried to look at the Met Office website a few minutes ago, it isn't working.  Perhaps the rain has got into their computers. ...

Likewise. It suggested clearing cookies (so I did) but no change. Tried again a bit later, same story. Then I went direct rather than using a bookmark and inputted our postcode. Got the sulks again... Then I tried nearby places ... which displayed as usual. The site would display forecasts for places up to a few miles away, but not in our village. Cue a roll of the eyes and some muttered comment which wasn't 'have a nice day'. And 'they' claim we're not being watched! 

• Friendly/supportive 19

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

I note that the negative songs are from Manc land.. is it due to the levels of rain they have??

Baz

No there an antidote to the fact that we live in an utopian idyll so need something to keep us grounded.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, Erichill16 said:

We ( Swmbo, Hovis, Syd and myself) can confirm it is chucking it darn, being in the triangle. 

Well that's alright then because as you're in a triangle the rain will just roll off the sides.

Says he where it's still raining.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 8

10 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

No there an antidote to the fact that we live in an utopian idyll so need something to keep us grounded.

For being the birthplace of The Fall  ..... 5 stars.

• Funny 10

9 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well that's alright then because as you're in a triangle the rain will just roll off the sides.

Says he where it's still raining.

Its a pyramid we want!

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I went to see the HeeBee Geebees when they toured here in about 1985,6 or 7 - I don't  remember exactly.

Hmmm... we went to see a BGs tribute band* once...but not for long...we escaped at the interlude.... 

* they could easily have born the "HB GBs" name. OK, I do like the BGs but the act we saw did them, and decent tribute bands, a great disservice.  Shame.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. According to the seaweed twirlers the rain hereabouts will lessen over the bank holiday weekend, I'll wait and see. First of all there's an exhibition at Billericay this Saturday so I will have to withdraw some modelling tokens.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I think jolly tunes with dark lyrics are deliberate. 
Some other songs get misinterpreted though. The Police “Every breath you take” isn’t romantic, it is about a stalker . Prince’s “ Little Red Corvette” is not about a car. Michael Jackson’s “Ben” is about a homicidal super rat, and Bryan Adams “Summer of 69” isn’t about 1969. 

Tom Jone’s Delilah has become very controversial when sung at various sporting events. I must admit Ive never listened to the lyric until the controversy sprung up.

Nevertheless, a catchy little tune.

• Like 15
  • Agree 4

3 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Tom Jone’s Delilah has become very controversial when sung at various sporting events. I must admit Ive never listened to the lyric until the controversy sprung up.

Nevertheless, a catchy little tune.

Nick Caves "The Mercy Seat" has just sprung into mind. But the Johnny Cash version, that someone has added to an old Mickey Rooney movie is way darker.

A rare example of a cover being better than the original. (The Mercy Seat is the Electric Chair for those playing at home...)

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

I have gaps in my music knowledge. The 1980s has huge gaps. I was really rather ill for the first half of the 1980s and then in a very interesting but time consuming job in the latter half. 

You didn't miss much from what I can remember.  As to good songs with dark lyrics.  The King is Dead a good and catchy country song is quite sad when you think about the lyrics. 

Jamie where it's still raining. 

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

AS part of my homework prior to going to see Mad Max 5 tomorrow  ( The 9:40 session - unless @enz does a swifty I'll be the first ER in the world to see it) I rewatched Mad Max 3 Beyond Thunderdome this evening.

Shouldnt you have watched Mad Max 4 for the sake of continuity? 

• Like 12

40 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Nick Caves "The Mercy Seat" has just sprung into mind. But the Johnny Cash version, that someone has added to an old Mickey Rooney movie is way darker.

A rare example of a cover being better than the original. (The Mercy Seat is the Electric Chair for those playing at home...)

I tend to agree with you - normally I only prefer covers if that is the version I heard first - for me Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Dear Prudence knocks the socks off the original,  but this and Johnny Cash's version of "One" are exceptions to my personal rule.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Update . Sunny spell did not happen. Big dark cloud resulting in significant drop in temperature. I have come in. Aditi has gone back out as she thinks the bitey insects will be hiding too. She is planting seeds which I believe is skilled work compared to my cleaning the cracks in the paving. She never puts labels like “here be seeds” so I will need a guided tour of where to avoid. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

@DaveF Found an interesting resource, the log book of HMS Patia, an Armed Merchant Cruiser, converted from a refrigerated Banana boat in 1914.

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Patia.htm

The photo they have is similar but not identical to your photos (funnel decoration, foremast crows nest differ) but they do say that their photo is "believed" to be HMS Patia. It's also noted that she "sank upright in shallow water".

Patia was an unlucky name for the RN.  In WW2 it was given to another merchant vessel, converted as a "Fighter Catapult Vessel" was lost in April 1941.  HMS Patia was bombed and sunk by German He 111-bombers near 20G Buoy, Coquet Island, Northumberland, U.K.

Many thanks for this.  I have sent one of the photos to the IWM to see if they know anything.  It is certainly a similar ship, a number were lost in WW1.

I've now managed to find his full naval record which confirms he was on HMS Patia and his move to the HMS Heroic was some time after HMS Patia was sunk.  However like all records of the time only the very basic information was recorded.

David

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2