The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Mower used after 3/4s of an hour, the engine started hunting..😒

Cleared out landrover.. 

Mower used for half an hour , the engine started hunting ..😒

Ben took me for a walk, nowhere near as far as yesterday..

Mower used for 10 minutes, the engine started hunting..😒

Started driving the mower back to its shed, the engine coughed, the hunting stopped.. turned round did a load more mowing.. hunting appears to have cleared.🙂 

Sometimes mixing a nip  of carby cleaner in with the fuel can sort it out if its not too bad, though it can result in an impressive smoke display 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Atmosphere" would DEFINITELY be on there.

Googled that and got a link to Russ Abbott singing “Atmosphere”. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

If that doesn't do it, try Joy Division.

Or a couple of Neurosis Morrisett tracks sandwiching a Leonard Cohen. 

As to fireworks, when travelling in the US I noticed that a lot of firework stores are on state boundaries alo g with 'Gentlemen' s clubs". 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Or a couple of Neurosis Morrisett tracks sandwiching a Leonard Cohen. 

As to fireworks, when travelling in the US I noticed that a lot of firework stores are on state boundaries alo g with 'Gentlemen' s clubs". 

Jamie

I'm a Leonard Cohen fan - I'm aware of the reputation of him being depressing or whatever but I  honestly don't know how he got it because I can't think of a single one of his songs that is morbid in any serious way, many are  actually quite uplifting!

If I had to think up local songs to slash my wrists by, maybe some of Nick Caves work with the Birthday Party,?   I can't think of many others, I guess its hard to write dreary songs when the sun is shining and the beach is not far away.

Australian pub rock is all about the kick drum and the rhythm guitar in   lockstep pounding away - its what we grew up with  here.

Most songs and bands that were big here are unknown elsewhere apart from one or two, but I have a Spotify playlist that I put on whenever  I get the ute out, its all Australian and reflects the V8, surf, sun, and unobtainable girls  mentality that I grew up with here. 

The ute has twin Bose subwoofers which makes the rear view mirror inoperative due to vibrations when I crank this up!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17

37 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Russ Abbott singing “Atmosphere”

38 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Googled that and got a link to Russ Abbott singing “Atmosphere”. 

Well I googled that and it looks like my dad  at my 18th back in 1981.

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

May I just point out there's a world of difference between a Manc and a Manx.....however as we gave the world the BeeGees maybe I had better retire before attacked! 😁

• Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

@Ozexpatriate has to take the blame for them too though.

Well I suppose they passed through Aus!  There's a bronze statue here on Douglas prom of the three of them, for the grockles to take selfies with.

BGs.JPG.f4e4763c4ec0aeb806e5d8762d03b504.JPG

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Well I suppose they passed through Aus!  There's a bronze statue here on Douglas prom of the three of them, for the grockles to take selfies with.

BGs.JPG.f4e4763c4ec0aeb806e5d8762d03b504.JPG

And if you take the ferry (providing its running) the Beatles will be waiting for you at the Pierhead!

IMG_4947.JPG.df11cf84a41bd2e97541bc7112ce432a.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Hroth said:

And if you take the ferry (providing its running) the Beatles will be waiting for you at the Pierhead!

IMG_4947.JPG.df11cf84a41bd2e97541bc7112ce432a.JPG

Having spent three years there at the Kollege of Nollidge, and worked for a shipping company whose office is just in sight up that street, I'm happy to avoid the place like the plague!  No great fan of the music either, although more than I am of the BG's.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It appears Singapore Airlines passengers have just had a reminder of why Airlines recommend leaving seat belts fastened throughout the flight😢 I always put it on over the blanket so the attendannts don't need to disturb me if the seat belts light goes on and I am sleeping.

More here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-69044396

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Theres a massed drone show later in the month, though it does tend to end up as a giant plug for the sponsors, if last years is anything to go by, but seeing the drones take off in the first couple of minutes, then landing at the end  beats most firework displays IMHO!

I wonder where they got the idea from.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Another famous Queenslanders that have statues of them on display  include King Wally Lewis, a famous Maroons Rugby League player who had a sideline in promoting aerosol tins of fake hair that you sprayed on your bald bits

image.png.c1b7afdd83f0d2168389e70ca6b1a145.png

and Kev, the Big Cassowary of Mission Beach.

Cassowary_Statue.jpg.eed996a76793fa62919a6aded8beeb5f.jpg

Is Kev demonstrating the spray on hair?😁

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grandadbob said:

Hybrid Connects (No - I don't know what they are)

We have one of those and it does work. 
Our TV Pro box still had BT branding but the on button led changed colour when all the screen menus changed to EE branding. My broadband still seems to be BT branded and I still have a BT mobile sim (for the car communication system). I suspect it will all change.

I got an extra “whole house” wi fi disc as the wireless signal wasn’t as good upstairs at the rear of the house. I had a ridiculous conversation with a script following broadband agent who wanted to know all kinds of stuff about how many rooms and floors we had. He insisted that for a four bedroom house the router and WiFi disc wouid be adequate. I said they are big rooms and putting the disc upstairs was fine but limited downstairs so an extra disc (as promised originally). After ages he put me through to a technician who said “you need another disc, let us know if you need a third one.”  

My current contract guarantees me contact with an expert if I have any problems but I haven’t had any. The hybrid connect worked when there was a broadband exchange fault. 

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. The window cleaner came round this morning and as soon as he had finished it started persisting down. Now to get dinner ready, best before date lottery again.

• Like 14

11 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Much like when Raleigh brought back the potatoes, tobacco and the tomato. Incidentally the potatoes and tomato, both of which are related were considered poisonous.

Potatoes are poisonous if eaten raw. And the fruits are too IIRC.

i always like Raleigh smoking a potato in Blackadder

• Like 14
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, grandadbob said:

You really really couldn't make it up!  I've just had a text and an email from EE telling me my equipment is on the way!!!

😁😂🤪🙃

Keep a spare Router (I had one go u/s once - and the broadband supplier wanted rather a lot for a replacement; I had to argue very hard to get a freebie) and flog the rest on the 'bay.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, polybear said:

Keep a spare Router (I had one go u/s once - and the broadband supplier wanted rather a lot for a replacement; I had to argue very hard to get a freebie) and frog the rest on the 'bay.

I don’t think you can do that with the current generation of BT and EE equipment. You don’t actually own it like earlier versions. They will ask for it back and charge for anything missing. 

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7