The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

They're doing well!

They can reach six-seven feet tall. I've grown some which have been taller than me. 

One serious point - especially FAO @The Lurker - they are poisonous - don't eat/ingest any part of them.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

By becoming a hermit? Someone would really have to dislike coriander…

Well, yes.  That is one way.

• Like 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Grizz said:

Hroth you may well be right mate but this kit doubles as a stab vest…..and it won’t catch fire on bonfire night., which is a definite bonus. Been there, done that, got burned. 

It may not catch fire, but you'll cook evenly all over!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Apparently hating Coriander is a  scientific thing - some people love it - to others like me, it tastes like old socks and soap and it blights anything that has it in.

A bit like Brussels sprouts; apparently there is a substance in them that only some people can taste but which to them is fairly horrible. Hence to those people sprouts are revolting but to many (me included) they are quite palatable.

Dave

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Can anyone of a gardening persuasion tell me what these are? They seem to have seeded themselves in the back garden.

IMG_1206.jpeg

Erm looks like a Hollyhock to me….but what I know about Green stuff could be written on the top of a pin with a hammer! 

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

You are right @Grizz - apart from the leaf shape and the tubular flowers, it could easily be a hollyhock.  

Hollyhocks have rounded leaves and flowers that look a bit like some rose flowers.  

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Done the 'big shop' at Tess Coes this afternoon, and at least with a bigger car its easy to fit in. While I was there I grabbed a bangers and mash meal from the reduced shelf, tasted even better being half price.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

Can anyone of a gardening persuasion tell me what these are? They seem to have seeded themselves in the back garden.

IMG_1206.jpeg

They are definitely foxgloves, or to give them their proper name Digitalis. As has already been said, they are poisonous, so don’t eat them. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

They are definitely foxgloves, or to give them their proper name Digitalis. As has already been said, they are poisonous, so don’t eat them. 

The poison can also be absorbed through the skin - probably not fatally but uncomfortably - so use gloves when handling them. They are nice flowers, though, and we have them in our garden. Four to five feet tall is not unusual.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

I’ve had another good day in the garden, the cloud cover first thing was very welcome and lots of weeding was done. The sun finally came out just before dinner and I was glad to get out of it. The afternoon was spent in the workshop, painting the industrial locomotive chassis and making a few alterations to the body work. 

I went out just after 4 o’clock to complete the Sainsbury’s Grand Prix, as I was going into the car park, there were lots of cars leaving, possibly the school run exodus, but it meant that the car park itself was nearly empty, which was great. I was back home less just before 5 o’clock, so not bad at all. 

The evening was then spent relaxing in front of the TV catching up with the Chelsea flower show. 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, polybear said:

A Royal Warrant, that’s what.  I’m pretty sure Her Maj wouldn’t put her name on cr@p…. 😀

I dunno -  that  Flash Gordon song wasn't up to her usual standard.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 16

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

IMG_1206.jpeg

Digitalis or foxglove. Short lived perennial. Often grown though as a biannual.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Grizz said:

I have never owned a 25kg hoodie before…..this is going to take some getting used to. And ‘Apparently’ it doesn’t go in the Miele washing machine…..Mrs Grizz was most emphatic about that. 

IMG_3771.jpeg.fb57c58e2c0ce5d3595688a70d4cbd94.jpeg

Regular readers may recall my visit to Conwy to the chainmail out fitters. 
They gave me three pieces of advice. 

1. Do not fall over as you may not be able to get back up unaided. 
2. Do not get near any magnets.

3. DO NOT GET TASERED BY THE COPS! It will really really hurt. 

Next stop York…..actually next stop is Comic Con at the Excel.

….And what lesson have we learned from this incident children?

Don’t get hammered (tired and political) and then promise number 2 cub that you will go to Comic Con….in costume! 

Actually there's a good chance you won't feel a thing from a taser.

1, there's a good chance one or other or both of the flying pins will bounce off the chainmail.

2, it's highly likely it will short out the electrical connection normally the victim required between the two pins to make the circuit work.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

1, there's a good chance one or other or both of the flying pins will bounce off the chainmail.

2, it's highly likely it will short out the electrical connection normally the victim required between the two pins to make the circuit work.

I'm imaging "Electro" the Marvel villain (Max Dillon) with showering blasts of plasma from the extremities of the hauberk ricocheting all over the room (for a very, very small amount of time) after only one pin makes contact.

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

3 hours ago, TheQ said:

Hurrrrrrrrah! 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

They can reach six-seven feet tall. I've grown some which have been taller than me. 

One serious point - especially FAO @The Lurker - they are poisonous - don't eat/ingest any part of them.  

6 hours ago, Erichill16 said:

Definitely Digitalis purpurea, another species  D.lanata is used medicinally.

One man’s poison….

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digoxin

I was beaten to it by Robert.  I remember my mother telling me about using digitalis to treat heart conditions when I was quite young.  I believe it was used to treat my grandma who had heart problems. She died in the 1920's.

Jamie 

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6