The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

2 hours ago, TheQ said:

I've not seen or heard people use the term hamburger in some years..

The local layby burger van does .

Beef burgers,

Bacon burgers,

Ostrich burgers,

Venison burgers,

Wagyu burgers..

There's a food van in Aberdeen near the harbour that did Bambi Burgers and they did try Thumper Burgers as well, no one fancied the Rabbit ones, but the Venison sold like hot cakes

• Like 16

10 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

I must admit, I do like a slice of bread and jam every now and then, especially when the jam is homemade. 

Peanut Butter and Jelly(Jam) sandwiches are apparently the staple diet for American yoof(at least it was in 1970). I could tell a long story about said sarnies, that involved some American GI's on there way to Vietnam, Amsterdam and a Prostitute, but perhaps not as it would probably get me banned from here

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I noticed the change decades ago in Australia when people started using terms like "Steak burger" or "Chicken burger" to refer to sandwiches using the same buns - making Ham burger confusing to some.

The  rule here  is actually pretty easy - if  its in a bun or bread roll  then  its a burger - chickenburger, cheeseburger, hamburger, and if its between two slices of bread, its a sandwich - chicken sandwich, cheese sandwich, ham sandwich!

I've never heard of  the term steakburger  - its always been a steak sandwich, whether its just two slices of shop bought white bread, some onions and a minute steak bought from the BBQ at the local kids footy game, or the traditional pub one, which can be up to 6 inches thick if using toasted "artesan" bread by the time all the salad, egg, bacon etc gets added  -  and which needs a steak knife through the middle to stop it falling apart!

(although some fancypants  pubs use a bun,  but still call it a Steak Sandwich, which technically is both wrong AND UnAustralian) 

• Like 17

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I seldom heard the word used in Australia but when I did it was “Lyoo-tenant”. 

That wouldn't have been by a service person, they get pulled up VERY quickly if they use it in a professional situation , similar to calling a sergeant "Sir" or stepping onto the parade ground!

(although I can't confirm what pronunciation the  Australian navy uses , I've never really hung out with them!) 

Interestingly -  the US servicemen and contractors we've had here over the years use the LEFT version when referring to OUR Lieutenants and the Loo version when referring to their own - an attention to detail that shows  why they can put a missile through a toilet window...

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

Peanut Butter and Jelly(Jam) sandwiches are apparently the staple diet for American yoof (at least it was in 1970).

They still are, though perhaps less dominantly.

The jam/jelly distinction is easy. Jelly has no bits of fruit. Jam does. PB&J is usually made with (Concord) grape jelly. The gelatin dessert is Jello (the brand name). 

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The  rule here  is actually pretty easy - if  its in a bun or bread roll  then  its a burger - chickenburger, cheeseburger, hamburger, and if its between two slices of bread, its a sandwich - chicken sandwich, cheese sandwich, ham sandwich!

Generally speaking (note the generalization) in the US:

Served on a large bun, a ground (minced) beef patty is a Hamburger / burger. Served on a small bun/roll it is a slider.

On a similar large bun, meats other than a beef patty, are sandwiches (chicken sandwich, fish sandwich etc). Served on small bun/roll they too are sliders.

Potentially, if the protein is ground (minced) into a patty it might still be called a burger.  I see this with Vegan meat substitute patties and ground turkey patties - "Turkey burger".

There's a place locally that offered a ground salmon patty on a bun. I don't remember what they called it. It was very dry and didn't have much flavour. They don't seem to offer it any more. 

There's a traditional flat top (hot plate) toasted sandwich with cheese on a Hamburger patty between sliced bread. It's called a patty melt.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Generally speaking (note the generalization) in the US:

Served on a large bun, a ground (minced) beef patty is a Hamburger / burger. Served on a small bun/roll it is a slider.

On a similar large bun, meats other than a beef patty, are sandwiches (chicken sandwich, fish sandwich etc). Served on small bun/roll they too are sliders.

Potentially, if the protein is ground (minced) into a patty it might still be called a burger. There's a place locally that offered a ground salmon patty on a bun. I don't remember what they called it. It was very dry and didn't have much flavour. They don't seem to offer it any more.

There's a traditional flat top (hot plate) toasted sandwich with cheese on a Hamburger patty between sliced bread. It's called a patty melt.

I think thats why Australians generally  stick with pies

There's only two types - if bought from a pie shop or bakery its a "pie".

if bought from a service station or footy ground its a "rat coffin"

Easy!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 18

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

There's only two types

For meat pies.

The taxonomy of what constitutes a tart versus a pie is more complicated. Or a galette etc.

And not just the sweet ones either. Chicago-style deep dish 'stuffed' pizza can legitimately be called a pie. The base is made of pastry and has a pastry top. And there are cheese and onion tarts etc. Not to be confused with a quiche - taxonomically a pie with no pastry top or is a quiche a tart?

And what about the frozen meat pies at the supermarket?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

On sandwiches, and hot sandwiches, the Uncle Roger rant about Gordon Ramsey making grilled cheese is a classic. Gordon Ramsey is a superb cook but I am not sure what he'd imbibed before filming that one. Doorstep bread and kimchi with thick slabs of cheese not melted for a toasted cheese sandwich? I love kimchi (I love Korean food in general) but I'm not sure I want it in a toasted cheese sandwich. 

On hamburger steak that's a big thing in Japan where it isn't limited to serving in a bun. The use of premium cuts to make burgers and sausages in some places seems odd to me. I always thought one of the big reasons for such things (sausages especially) was to make the poorer cuts and offal palatable and make full use of the animal. In the case of wagyu which now seems very trendy everywhere I am guessing it's the same cuts, just from a wagyu cow. The other thing I scratch my head at is super lean meat used for burgers, sausages etc. I get the health argument but you need some fat in a sausage or burger IMO otherwise it is very dry and quite awful.

• Like 14

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

On hamburger steak that's a big thing in Japan where it isn't limited to serving in a bun. The use of premium cuts to make burgers and sausages in some places seems odd to me. I always thought one of the big reasons for such things (sausages especially) was to make the poorer cuts and offal palatable and make full use of the animal. In the case of wagyu which now seems very trendy everywhere I am guessing it's the same cuts, just from a wagyu cow.

Hamburger steak was never limited to sandwiches. In Germany it is traditionally served with onions and gravy. It (or similar) is also known as "Salisbury steak". That term was used in the second world war to avoid references to Hamburg, thought traditionally Salisbury Steak was sirloin.

Waygu patties are (of course) very good on a Hamburger sandwich - presumably they are made from the less choice cuts. It's my preference if I'm making home-made Hamburgers.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 12

49 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Doorstep bread and kimchi with thick slabs of cheese not melted for a toasted cheese sandwich? I love kimchi (I love Korean food in general) but I'm not sure I want it in a toasted cheese sandwich. 

I'm not sure about the 'doorstep'. I would prefer sliced bread - permitting the heat to melt the cheese.

A toasted cheese and kimchi sandwich would be very good. There are many options beyond plain cheese. Apple*/Gruyère or apple/Brie is good. I like hard cheeses with either onion jam or pepper jam. Caramelized onions are a good option as well.

* Slice the apples thinly.

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Hamburger steak was never limited to sandwiches. In Germany it is traditionally served with onions and gravy. It (or similar) is also known as "Salisbury steak".

As a kid I remember tinned hamburgers with gravy, haven't seen it for years, I wonder if they still do it? It was one of those things we're probably meant to deride and while I have no illusions about what such tinned food was I have to admit to having very fond memories of it.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

As a kid I remember tinned hamburgers with gravy, haven't seen it for years, I wonder if they still do it?

Plenty of tinned beef and gravy options still - more "roast beef" than hamburger. Tinned, cooked Hamburger as well.

Flavio would disapprove.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

image.png.2fed94c7565d7122959ced983cf8da7f.png

Still available in UK supermarkets...

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

One of my favourite sandwiches is cold sliced beef with some mint jelly (not mint sauce) on it between two slices of fresh buttered bread. 

Jamie

Whatever floats your boat.

My ideal Roast Beef Sandwich is medium rare beef, sliced thinly on homemade "white sliced" bread spread with mayonnaise not butter with a good swipe of Colman's English Mustard (there really isn't anything out there that compared to Colman's) and - possibly - creamed horseradish (which is very German, but nice).

If I wanted the sandwich hot, I'd change the sliced bread for a bap and add a mound of slow cooked, caramelised, onions (plain or cooked with a touch balsamic vinegar)

As for the role of lettuce, tomatoes, gherkins or even beetroot slices or pineapple rings in this tasty production, it's very much the case of "don't call us, we'll call you"

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning, from a sunny rock that is currently 15c, with a bit more promised.  Quite a stiff breeze though.

A day of domestic servitude beckons, with maybe a quick run out for odds and sods.  I had all sorts of plans for the day, but as usual have forgotten half of them - the issue with planning while half asleep.

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, from a sunny rock that is currently 15c, with a bit more promised.  Quite a stiff breeze though.

A day of domestic servitude beckons, with maybe a quick run out for odds and sods.  I had all sorts of plans for the day, but as usual have forgotten half of them - the issue with planning while half asleep.

I've found Neil that is the best way to plan as you end up doing half of what you plan and feel very pleased that you've done it.

The other way around and you still end up only getting half of it done, but feel disappointed because you've only done half of it.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Semi-aware on a semi-sunny morning.

I have a "list" of things to do pinned on the corkboard in the kitchen, if I don't get many done during the day then they just roll over to tomorrow, and so on...

(Accept parcel from Royal Mail )

That's one off the list!

Hurrah!

Edited by Hroth
Update
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

My cheese on toast recipe may be a bit out there but I  make a roux, add the strongest mature cheddar I can get, milk and a pinch of English mustard powder then add to toast and put under the grill. Not thick bread. I make enough of the cheese mix to chill and use for a couple of days.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1