The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Posted (edited)

I'll keep the Australian car pics to a minimum because there were some English cars there that will probably be more interesting to those in ye Olde Dart.

A couple of Mk 3 Cortinas:

P1240195_reduced.jpg.d0d7a662b698c30199a2c39525a5a4b7.jpg

P1240211_reduced.jpg.f542a77f4558762472b408f949e66f75.jpg

Look -  Someone's gran has turned up!

P1240197_reduced.jpg.9bfd87fe100a7cebbd5b36dcdcf5210c.jpg

P1240193_reduced.jpg.408e4480006519898cc4d8517b051500.jpg

Some @Ozexpatriate targeted nostalgia - 1974 Kingswood station wagon.

P1240207_reduced.jpg.c03d27c20cd701523575d9f418cca1db.jpg

Worked V8 and no weight over the wheels - what incredible fun!

P1240230_reduced.jpg.c115aaed11d148e5082dcb485a5ef273.jpg

The finish of the timber tray  though was tippity top:

P1240232_reduced.jpg.0bdb47f1b738f92269c46ee40847ae13.jpg

P1240244_reduced.jpg.f1b6258dfb5d2e5db9f05880a06b9e99.jpg

P1240196_reduced.jpg.d00a33038ad8be2fe3da4bb894dbf1a0.jpg

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I have asked several RN officers why they use the US pronunciation of lieutenant where the army uses left- and none of them have ever had an answer beyond the usual inter-service rivalry type answers about pongo's etc.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I have asked several RN officers why they use the US pronunciation of lieutenant

According to a lot of the sources I looked up, the RN traditionally used something more like "luh'TEN-ant" or "le-TEN-ant" - but definitely not "lef-tenant".

What I read suggested more emphasis on the second syllable in the RN pronunciation.

Despite all the learned suggestions I read, I suspect it was an aversion to sound "French" in the army, much like all those 'Britishified' French words such as valet, fillet, claret, etc. One presumes the RN was less afflicted by this. They didn't even change the names of a lot of French prizes they took.  Buried in this lot are a bunch of French prizes whose names were not changed.

The English line of battle at Trafalgar included Spartiate, Belleisle, and Tonnant - all captured French ships sailing under their original names (though Belleisle was named Formidable at time of capture and there was already a Formidable on the Navy list).

The first HMS Temeraire (1759) was the captured French Téméraire during the Seven Years War. The Turner painting featured the third of the name. The RN liked the name so much they used it six times for ships and twice for a shore establishment.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10

Posted (edited)

Talking of the French - an Old Citroen:

P1240240.JPG.a22a777cfea31396feef854a273f7e8a.JPG

Almost needed a wideangle lens to get this one in:

P1240242.JPG.9f18f581eec3af1e138ad99947a56e56.JPG

Chips On A Stick!

P1240237.JPG.25de8f86462e04a2493a50be9a8cfc80.JPG

I think there are few  grills tougher in appearance than the XY Falcon GT grill...

P1240249_reduced.jpg.1791917a516dfb54172fc814bfdd8514.jpg

The Banana Splits turned up.

P1240256.JPG.e1953a4d980cd2e8af8e7a5688735840.JPG

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 18

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Almost needed a wideangle lens to get this one in:

Convertible Buick Le Sabre coupé? (I notice it is left-hand drive.)

A colleague in the mid-1980s had his parents' hand-me-down Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan. We called it the 'tuna boat'. He bought one of the last 'big' model Buick Regal coupés in the late 1980s. (Like this, but in grey, if I'm not mistaken.)

Growing up I knew someone with a left-hand drive Lincoln Continental. It stood out.

In the mid-1980s I once rented a Cadillac Sedan de Ville. It felt huge.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Convertible Buick Le Sabre coupé?

A colleague in the mid-1980s had his parents' old Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan. We called it the 'tuna boat'. He bought one of the last 'big' model Buick Regal coupés in the late 1980s.

Possibly even longer than my '76 Chevy Impaler wagon. 😄

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Possibly even longer than my '76 Chevy Impaler wagon. 😄

Maybe. Wikipedia says this of the fifth generation Impala:

The 1971 redesigned B-body would be the largest car ever offered by Chevrolet. 

Length: 222.9 in (5,662 mm)

The fourth generation Buick Le Sabre (1970s) was:

Length: 221.9 in (5,636.3 mm)

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC the Leeds Atlanteans had MCW Orion bodies. Rather aptly described as 'heaps of shivering tin'. My grandparents lived in Hastings and I remember when the trolleybuses were replaced by the first Leyland Atlanteans in 1959. They had Park Royal bodies though that didn't try to shake themselves to pieces.

Yes thecAtlanteans really shhok every time the bus pulled up at a stop or traffic lights. Most Leeds buses were Roe bodied, built at Cross Gates.  The other buses were mainly Daimler Fleetlines, which from memory were much smoother.  One of my Inspectors used to have a phrase of "go outside and catch a big green Daimler" , if you asked for a lift in a panda to one of the outlying estates. 

Jamie

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning to one and all from the Charente.  It's sunny out there.  The market this morning then learning Belote this afternoon. 

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl,

6 hours solid sleep not a lot after..

Ben the  surprised Collie, was when I took him on morning patrol early. Heavy dew 100 % blue welkin, light northerly breeze.

Sailing today a race from Horning down river to Thurne, have lunch, Race back. Forecast northerly 12 to 16 mph that's good,

Tide we start just before high tide, which means coming back we'll be fighting the tide. The later stages of coming back will be difficult in the trees...

Time to get my boots on and get going...

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

It's a cloudy cool morning and seems likely to remain so.  I'm glad I went to the Battery yesterday.

I tried watching the new Rebus last night, I didn't enjoy it so switched it off.  I'm not convinced moving characters to a deiferent time period and making them younger always works.  To me it just was not believable.  After I gave up on it I went outside and had a few much more entertaining minutes watching a bat flying round at just above head height in my garden.

This morning a jackdaw came and perched on the bird bath.  It had found a piece of dry bread somewhere and carefully placed the bread in the water and proceeded to dunk it until it was soft, then it broke it into small pieces and ate it before flying off.

David

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

In all my dealings with the RN the pronunciation of lieutenant was always the same as that in the Army and RAF, i. e., leff-tenant.

I quite agree with DaveF about the new Rebus - I won’t be watching any more. Apart from the things he points out it was a mixup of several situations and I found it annoying.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Why is the cucumber sandwich on this list?  Who eats those things? 

@Ozexpatriate I have given your question some serious consideration. It is a worthy question that definitely needs answering. 

And, so far, I have come up with some suggestions that possibly fit the bill…..

Question. Who eats cucumber sandwiches? 

Possible Answers.

Pretentious, wannabe posh wknackers ?
Actual posh wknackers?
Jacob Rees-Mogg?
Lazy gits with only bread and cucumber in their house, at exactly the same time as they are really really hungry? 

1920s re-enactment societies.

The Hercule Poirot Appreciation Society 

People with little imagination 

The Cucumber Growers Association 

The Bread Makers Association 

Francis Fulford (plus offspring) the basis for Tim Nice-Butt-Dim).

Jeffrey Howard Archer

Previous Cucumber Sandwich Munchers.

Brian Alfred Christopher Bushell Sewell

Norman Antony Francis St John-Stevas, (Baron St John of Fawsley).

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I was out last night so I recorded Rebus and haven't had an opportunity to view it yet.  I must say that there have been a number of new series recently that have been previous favourites and which I've found to be unengaging, possibly due to recasting and new directors with radical ideas on trajectory and emphasis...

I shall proceed with caution!

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I was out last night so I recorded Rebus and haven't had an opportunity to view it yet.  I must say that there have been a number of new series recently that have been previous favourites and which I've found to be unengaging, possibly due to recasting and new directors with radical ideas on trajectory and emphasis...

Theres always Bluey.

Seriously!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 8

8 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think that possibly the word you are looking for is ‘Politicised’ …..and that is the polite term. 

I

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

4 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Probably no one in this picture.

P1240252.JPG.ef9f7199da76882884ef2f1d3333246d.JPG

Defo mate!

Although it is exactly my kinda gathering!

It’d be an event described as ‘Sans Cucumber Sandwiches’ on the invite. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

The whole point with cucumber sarnies is that the crusts must be cut off too.

btw have you SEEN the price of cucumbers nowadays?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 10

2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The whole point with cucumber sarnies is that the crusts must be cut off too.

btw have you SEEN the price of cucumbers nowadays?

What?……No door step cucumber sarnies then? 

Well that’s @polybear out for a start….without even it being a cucumber sarnie! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

Hey you know that you can get vegetable substitutes for meat……, toffey or whatever…..? 

Can you also get meat substitutes for vegetables? 

So @polybear could have a ‘bacon cucumber’ sandwich….door steps optional….obviously. 

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A colleague in the mid-1980s had his parents' hand-me-down Oldsmobile Delta 88 sedan. We called it the 'tuna boat'.

LOL - a mate in the UK has a '72 Delta 88 Royale convertible, in black - known as 'The Boat', due to it's resemblance to 'Das Boot''s U-Boat!

• Like 18
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The “Young Morse” series does work pretty well though.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 2