The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, PupCam said:

But at least he knocked on the door and didn't just dump it like they usually do .....  Small acorns and all that.

True - if only he hadn't knocked whilst A Certain Bear was enjoying a rather yummy Pizza.....

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

@polybear  Haven't you got an echo dot? All you have to do is mumble "alexa time" at it to get the current time, projection clocks not needed!

I woke at 8am BST.

I slept through my echo dot playing music at me and the bedside light automatically switching on at 7am.

I think it was them switching OFF at 8 that did the trick...

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

@polybear  Haven't you got an echo dot? All you have to do is mumble "alexa time" at it to get the current time, projection clocks not needed!

I woke at 8am BST.

I slept through my echo dot playing music at me and the bedside light automatically switching on at 7am.

I think it was them switching OFF at 8 that did the trick...

Echo Dot?  Bear's got five of them - plus a Food of the Gods** - sized spare one in the cupboard.  The one on the ceiling comes in handy when I can't be bothered to mumble at 3am, whilst Alexa comes in handy when I don't want to roll over to see the ceiling clock.  Sorted.

**That's a Tin of Beans, naturally.

• Like 5
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land.  Only one callout from bladder control last night and in total about seven six hours sleep. Then I spent another couple of hours napping. Haven't had breakfast yet so it's going to be brunch before I venture out into the garden (hay fever permitting).

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, polybear said:

informing a Certain Bear that @iL Dottore has replied to the thread with yet more biased propaganda warning against the imaginary perils of scoffin' Cake, Pizza, Curly Fries and Baked Beans

Imaginary? Hardly.

Solid data from a huge meta analysis has shown that ultra processed food (things like factory produced cake, curly fries and baked bean) is directly linked to 32 harmful effects to health, including a higher risk of heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, adverse mental health and early death, according to the world’s largest review of its kind (see https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/28/ultra-processed-food-32-harmful-effects-health-review#:~:text=Ultra-processed food (UPF),largest review of its kind.)

I’d take the conclusions of a peer reviewed meta analysis over a Beary anecdote any day. Especially if it appears in a respected journal like the BMJ (if you want to read the original paper, you can access it here: https://www.bmj.com/content/384/bmj-2023-077310). 

Of particular relevance to many on ER is the association of UPF with Type II Diabetes and with Depression.

There’s nothing wrong with cake, pizza, french fries, baked beans if made from real/fresh/unprocessed ingredients and eaten in moderation.

There’s now so much evidence about the deleterious effects of UPF, that denying that UPF is a problem is up there with CoVID denial and those who claim that cigarettes are not linked to lung cancer.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

19 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

We are not brain surgeons, take us months to work that out, we use this below😜

wall clock.jpg

In case you all wonder what this means  there was an image of a clock face with Mon to Sun on it and a pointer to help  us oldies remember what day of the week it is or was or could be. However  due to extra terrestrial interruptions the signal faltered like a candle in the wind and connections were lost.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

image.png.a170ffb3e33754e147745a4bed51ff7f.png

image.png.edb10160cce2f6e0e7c4073040980d14.png

image.png.8b43e1f6fa7db72587732f3f2ec37109.png

image.png.051d3b57429aec0d82be996d74fda6f7.png

image.png.c61d9ddbb15ca88951cdef14e09edaef.png

image.png.5bfa625d4abf41da8a7bfb7b4e73ee9d.png

image.png.90b4d9f6b876bb9d4e174d234dad2914.png

A woman, cranky because her husband was late coming home again, decided to leave a note, saying, "I've had enough and have left you...don't bother coming after me" Then she hid under the bed to see his reaction.

After a short while the husband comes home and she could hear him in the kitchen before he comes into the bedroom. She could see him walk towards the dresser and pick up the note... After a few minutes he wrote something on it before picking up the phone and calling someone... "She's finally gone...yeah I know, about bloody time, I'm coming to see you, put on that sexy French nightie. I love you...can't wait to see you...we'll do all the naughty things you like." He hung up, grabbed his keys and left. She heard the car drive off as she came out from under the bed. Seething with rage and with tears in her eyes she grabbed the note to see what he wrote..."I can see your feet. We're outta bread: be back in five minutes."

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A quick look in before I head out to the garden to get a few jobs done. I recently bought one of those small pop up greenhouses, so that's one job I want to do. Not only does it free up space in the cellar, it'll be useful too! I also want to put a few more plans as well. 

Back later. 

Brian 

• Like 18

23 minutes ago, Captain Cuttle said:

In case you all wonder what this means  there was an image of a clock face with Mon to Sun on it and a pointer to help  us oldies remember what day of the week it is or was or could be. However  due to extra terrestrial interruptions the signal faltered like a candle in the wind and connections were lost.

With everything crappy going on in the world exposing how vulnerable digital tech is, and with things like analog phones being disconnected in the uk, it makes me think that I should invest in a clockwork radio. Just in case. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

It's from this respected journal that I get an example I use when teaching people how to structure a paper which has all the correct elements therein - this the example

https://www.bmj.com/content/331/7531/1498 

You tell the reader what you are going to tell them.

You tell them.

You tell them what you have told them.

All quotations must be noted and backed up by reference to appropriate sources.

• Like 6
  • Agree 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Just walked into the ground floor kitchen and found this….this….nope can’t think of a word. Don’t know who did it, but someone done bit it’s ears off. 

Also not totally sure who to even report this to? 

Mutilated cotlate bunny protection society? 

IMG_3588.jpeg.347f85887299c4c35662922089cd6538.jpeg

I know of A Certain Bear that hasn't got any Easter Eggs....not even a Creme Egg.....😭

13 minutes ago, Grizz said:
8 minutes ago, Grizz said:

With everything crappy going on in the world exposing how vulnerable digital tech is, and with things like analog phones being disconnected in the uk, it makes me think that I should invest in a clockwork radio. Just in case. 

But only useful if the Radio Stations use clockwork transmitters?

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Grizz said:

I had one of those clockwork radios, it stopped working after a while...

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 13

15 minutes ago, Hroth said:

You tell the reader what you are going to tell them.

You tell them.

You tell them what you have told them.

That is how they do it on tv news programmes. That is how I was taught to do it on a training course.

Edited by Ohmisterporter
  • Like 9
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Ohmisterporter said:

That is how they do it on tv news programmes. 

And before that, its how newspaper articles used to be structured.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

29 minutes ago, polybear said:

I know of A Certain Bear that hasn't got any Easter Eggs....not even a Creme Egg.....😭

Sorry @polybear….I had forgotten that you are on a cotlate free diet, that was being very insensitive of me. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

31 minutes ago, polybear said:

But only useful if the Radio Stations use clockwork transmitters?

Clockwork transmitters….ahhh that’s got be a wind up!?!

……..

Sorry….”I’ll get my coat”…🤪

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14