The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

20 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. polybear could never be my boss

Maybe not boss, more guardian angel.

After all who kept you safe from all  those bullies in medicine school?!

(I told you I had interesting stories from the  alternative universe)

image.png.5c142e3aae555aecb61c5d3db653754f.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 9
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

The support staff in RAAF Darwin who are all NT locals live in fear that they will be asked to attend team get-togethers in the Southern states in winter because temperatures less than low 20's are inconceivable to them. 

A few years ago they DID have to come down in mid-June, I imagine they spent ages on Ebay looking for sled dogs etc.

I was up in Darwin one year in July a couple of years after that and the temperature hit a historical low 18 or something and the local guy turned up to work wearing the thick woolly novelty (but not to him) ski jumper he'd bought for his previous  trip down here to the Tundra.

I can quite understand why, it appears the perils of global colding have reached the Northern Territories and yer ideological extremists are still building windmills and eating organic tofu, will we ever learn😐

• Like 2
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Gold

Aditi usually acts as host for the French conversation evenings on Zoom  but due to being unwell last night sent her apologies and asked  another committee member to run the meeting. Until now they haven’t needed any code of conduct but one member chose to mock the others, so much so that most people left the meeting. The offender was “Zooming” from his French residence and was saying things to a French woman with him like “Look, English people trying to speak French, Ha, ha “. Aditi now has the task of writing a warning letter. She said she would have ejected him from the room and immediately sent a text telling him why. 
Tony

• Friendly/supportive 19

In all  my outback  travels with oil companies and defence, I've not managed to wrangle a trip to Coober Pedy, so its one of the destinations on my "Mad Max Last of the  V8's " ute trip around Australia  that is looming closer as retirement beckons.  

Coober Pedy is an opal mining town, due to the heat the locals burrow underground, and there is also an underground motel amongst other things. Not that I'd ever live there because it is in the middle of nowhere and its hot as bu99ery but there is an attraction whereby if you want say another bedroom or whatever  you invite  your opal mining  mates around for a barbie and afterwards they let off the heap of gelignite they have on them  and Whalla! a train room!

https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-sa-coober+pedy-142846360

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

6 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

After all who kept you safe from all  those bullies in medicine school?!

Some big assumptions there, Chimpey.

I was never bullied at school - given that i) I was always a big lad, ii) I could always talk my way out of trouble, iii) as I’ve always been a good and generous cook (or generously sharing some very high quality lunch boxes), few wished to put a reliable supply of good and abundant nosh in jeopardy and iv) those who did wish to jeopardise the steady supply of good nosh (and in later years - booze) were dissuaded from doing so by very big lads who wished the cook nothing but a trouble-free existence.

In later life, I ensured that all bases were covered by having a lawyer, a policeman, a judge, an architect, a mechanic, a banker and an accountant amongst my circle of acquaintances & chums. So no matter what happened, I always had (and still have) a “chum who can help me out on this” And, believing in the hippie mantra of “what goes around, comes around”, I have happily assisted my chums on matters of “medical inconvenience”.

So far from living an existence troubled by bullies or other inconveniences, thanks to hard work, talent and an idiosyncratic social circle life has been abundantly “adequate” 😁

p.s. I was never that angelic looking…..

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Allow me to end this bickering about noodles, it is blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes that noodles are grown on noodle trees and harvested when the plastic packets ripen by being the right colour. They're then rushed to supermarkets to be sold at this perfect ripeness. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

26 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

image.png.5c142e3aae555aecb61c5d3db653754f.png

Perhaps not guardian angel, but PB and I do enjoy an idiosyncratic friendship outside of the confines of RMWeb!

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

p.s. I was never that angelic looking…..

I did say that all this was in that alternative universe I'd been hanging out in!

I was never bullied, usually because there was a more bully-compliant target available but if I'd had a polarbear as some kind of muscle as you did in that alternative universe it'd be brilliant.

Although in your case it'd be like this...

You:  "I'm being bullied- help me  @polybear !" 

Meanwhile..

"Hmm,  these are thicker curly fries than the others I like, is it still 7 minutes in the microwave, or maybe an extra 30 seconds....?    Wait,   I can hear yelling and punching......... ... Oh well its stopped now. Ding, Chips are ready!"

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Oh well its stopped now. Ding,

Our microwave beeps. It is so old, it was actually made in Japan. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 2

14 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Our microwave beeps. It is so old, it was actually made in Japan. 

Shortly after  I mistakenly got married in 1988 my parents gave us their old microwave since they had bought a better one. I still have it and it works perfectly,  here is the ad for it from 1986. 

If you are a genuinely clever comic/comedian you struggle for years through the standup circuit etc,, hoping to eventually get a gig on a TV show or whatever. Meanwhile, any idiot who scored a job in advertising can write any old sh1t like this, and get a national TV audience for months out of it.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

Allow me to end this bickering about noodles, it is blindingly obvious to anyone with eyes that noodles are grown on noodle trees and harvested when the plastic packets ripen by being the right colour. They're then rushed to supermarkets to be sold at this perfect ripeness. 

No, that's spaghetti you're thinking of...

Edited by Hroth
spelin, as ushual
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

46 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

I can quite understand why, it appears the perils of global colding have reached the Northern Territories and yer ideological extremists are still building windmills and eating organic tofu, will we ever learn😐

The indigenous folk have already adapted. Australian Rules football is a winter sport, while cricket is a summer sport.

They both share the same large oval fields  but usually they never collide.

But in the NT summer is ridiculously humid and the cricketers don't like standing around in the humidity, so they demanded that their season be in the "winter" (actually called "The Dry" since it is not humid and monsoonal then) 

SO the Northern Territory Football League has to play their football competition in the middle of summer, running around in ridiculous humidity.  I went to see a match in January one year when I was up there, it was too hot to sit in the stand, let along run around like mad in the sun. 

Most NTFL players are indigenous -  compared to the cricketers -  so it does have a sad whiff of colonialism /  white privilege about it. 

• Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

@OzexpatriateI would think the idea of dolphins is to divert a vessel, ie to a glancing blow, rather than take it to a dead stop, somewhat too much momentum there as you say.

Neil, based on what I read, yes. They are intended to deform, absorb some shock and divert. Nothing short of solid ground can stop that sort of momentum directly.

I wonder what the structural impact of a direct hit on an small artificial 'island' surrounding a pier and fenced in rip-rap would be? Still pretty bad I expect - but inevitably less than taking out the legs of a pier (Cobra Kai style*) like what appears in the videos of the Francis Scott Key bridge allision.

* From the Karate Kid movie

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

What have you been ingesting???

In the extremely unlikely event that @polybear would ever be my boss (wrong business for starters, not to mention because of qualifications, length of experience in industry, etc.)

Since when does "The Boss" need to know anything (or even be suitably qualified) about the Company he (or she) is working in?  British Industry is full of those that know 'eff all about what they're doing yet they still manage to blag their way thru' it (and make oodles in the process)

....if I invited him to dinner it would not be to a sit-down dinner*, but a proper Aussie Barbie complete with a pot of BBQ Baked beans warming on the side. Although he'd have to put up with "fully loaded" potatoes baked in charcoal embers instead of curly fries (hey, that's life)

Bear can do that.....

The Lobster ravioli in a lobster bisque and the Dom Perignon I'd save for someone who would appreciate them (likely to be The Bear's Boss's Boss).

Bear doesn't have a Boss......but you're right, you can keep that.....

*you may not have noticed but The Bear doesn't "do" either "posh" or "sophisticated". In culinary terms he is what you'd describe as "rustic".

Bear can do "posh" and "sophisticated".  I can even drive a knife & fork (though peas can be tricky....)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I found this old  ad in an alternative universe that features a dapper young @iL Dottore hosting a dinner party. 

image.png.9ea4db6453f67e3819d9fb3218c5b924.png

Excellent!

Serve Baked Beans to your "posh" acquaintences, and they'll never come back!

7 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

... the idea of dolphins is to divert a vessel ...

Dolphins are no good, they spend their time playing games and laughing at you.

Now, if you want to DIVERT vessels, then sharks with lasers are the bees knees!!!

• Like 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear can do "posh" and "sophisticated".  I can even drive a knife & fork (though peas can be tricky....)

Ah, that's what spoons are for!

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, polybear said:

1 minute ago, The White Rabbit said:

Ah, that's what spoons are for!

As the old song goes.

I eat my peas with honey

I've done so all my life

It makes the peas taste funny

But it keeps them on my knife!

• Like 3
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Premium

Bus to scarbados completed.. bus pass was ok for use.

Found a second hand book shop and ended up coming out with some Railway books.  Oops!

Wander round completed up and down the mountain sides of Scarbados. 4 miles ambled. Great!

Meeting up with friends for tea.. could get messy!

Now raing after quite a sunshiney day. But boy, the wind is very thin and very cold....

Hotel is being transformed. Stair carpet was changed while we were out. 2 new seating areas are now in place..  but have they sorted the bar (lack of?) We should find out later.

Baz

Ps if these venomous spiders are so bad why don't the Aussies fo what I do..squidgy them?  (You have to get them caught by a spider catcher and moved somewhere else officially. .. yer wot????)

• Like 11
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ps if these venomous spiders are so bad why don't the Aussies fo what I do..squidgy them?  (You have to get them caught by a spider catcher and moved somewhere else officially. .. yer wot????)

Bear concurs** - there's so many of the 'sterds a few won't be missed....

p.s.  Does the catcher geezer/geezeress cost money?

**A big posh word for a Bear....

• Like 13
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I was typing an answer to a post on here when the system went down for a few minutes and I lost what I was typing. Going out shortly for a SEERS meeting, someone's discovered a batch of old railway photographs and is showing them tonight.

• Like 14