The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Rich_F said:

Completed anktber section of the North Downs Way today. 

Reigate Hill - Stepping Stones in Dorking. 

Passed by the old Betchworth & Brockham quarries & limeworks. 

IMG_20240325_124243.jpg.2f1cdb523772199003c014caaeb8d1f0.jpg

We are only a few miles from that spot. Lived here for 30 years but only found it on our post lockdown walks back in 2020. Lovely spot.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Doc, is it only Anglo-Saxon genes that have fat-saving characteristics? Or could Viking genes be predisposed to ‘a touch of the tubby’ as well? 

……asking for a friend. 

We're all descended from Labradors....

🤪

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
On 22/03/2024 at 00:23, zarniwhoop said:

Tried it, eventually zoomed in and looked at the next 2 weeks. Nothing new on this road. Some more work on the Eastbound carriageway (local authority ducts, signage) but nothing Westbound until almost at the roundabout for Tesco - and that part is not new.

Will keep the tab open, maybe something will show up next week, or perhaps I'll have been able to read the signs before then (the last lot of advance notices were for overnight work).

Thanx

There are so many individual items that clicking on each "multiple items in this location" to get details is problematic (look at one of the multiple item lists, click on first item, close that, place is lost). But I think I've now got a reasonable idea of what is going to be  going on:

An LED sign at the roundabout by Saint's buries - road closed daytime from 2nd to 4th April (I think that is gas, towards the Holmbush roundabout where Tesco is). Short-distance lane closure after getting onto A270 (gas) continues. At next crossroads, where you could normally turn down to get to the coast road, closure from 29th until somewhen - electrics, I think they are putting in more car chargers on a road parallel to the railway, and need to  dig it up for reinforcing the supply. On the way back I had time to get details from the sign after the same crossroads - closure from 29th until (I've forgotten) - that's the council, for power cable conduit and signs where they've resurfaced and perhaps altered the pedestrian crossing.

Meanwhile, massive road closures in Southwick south of the A270 - nominally around the village green, but in practice widespread (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3g4l0zlw2ko), little chance of turnng down there to get to the coast road. I started down there, took what would be the route to get to the road leading up from the coast to the A270 just before Holmbush, but could not get through (and no sign, from the way I was coming, that anything was closed until I got to the first closure).

Which seems to mean that the alternatives after Easter are to go down Boundary Rd, Hove (aka Station Road, Portslade) which is always backed up during the day because of the level crossing), or to go out to the bypass, travel to the Shoreham exit and then head back, taking the exit to Holmbush.  Sounds like fun!

• Friendly/supportive 16

2 hours ago, pH said:

I can’t see why there’s any confusion - “Wales” and “whales” are pronounced differently.

Not in the UK, well, England at least.  They both have the same phonetic structure  -  weɪlz - that's according the the OED.

• Like 7
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Not in the UK, well, England at least.  

The qualification is important. I grew up in the west of Scotland and always pronounced those words differently - I still do. 

My sister-in-law taught primary school kids in Scotland. There were names for some different letter combination to help with pronunciation. For example:

- ‘wh’ were the ‘whistling boys’ or the ‘blowing boys’ - you expel some air through the lips as if blowing/whistling. It’s almost as if there’s a “trace” of an ‘h’ before  the ‘w’.

- ‘ch’ were the ‘sneezing boys’

- ‘sh’ were the ‘quiet boys’ (as in “shh!”)

A couple of (genuine) questions:

- how is ‘what’ pronounced? Always “wot”?

- how is ‘where’ pronounced? I can’t remember hearing “ware” or “were” when I lived in several places in England.

Edited by pH
  • Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

26 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

More background on this at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pronunciation_of_English_〈wh〉

As with all changes in how things are pronounced, I find it fascinating and could easily waste hours following all the links.

Fascinating indeed! Thank you very much for that.

I see that that article also mentions the “Mary–marry–merry merger”. I was amazed to come across that when talking to a Canadian friend here. Not only could she not pronounce the three different vowel sounds I can hear in those words (‘ay’, ‘ah’ and ‘eh’) she couldn’t even hear my pronunciation of them as different sounds.

Edited by pH
Added info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

33 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

As with all changes in how things are pronounced, I find it fascinating and could easily waste hours following all the links.

Try iron (the element) for regional differences

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, pH said:

I see that that article also mentions the “Mary–marry–merry merger”. I was amazed to come across that when talking to a Canadian friend here. Not only could she not pronounce the three different vowel sounds I can hear in those words (‘ay’, ‘ah’ and ‘eh’) she couldn’t even hear my pronunciation of them as different sounds.

I think that is common when listening to sounds you are not familar with. In the past I've listened to various wikipedia sound files in their phonetic examples, and often almost all the variations for any specific letter sounded alike to me

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

I think that is common when listening to sounds you are not familar with.

Well, possibly, but ‘Mary’, ‘marry’ and ‘merry’ are not exactly exotic words. The thought that the pronunciation of those three words could be confused had not even begun to start to cross my mind till that conversation.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, skipepsi said:

More likely returned to their unit...

With a likely promotion to the  116th MAGA Liaison Battalion. 

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, pH said:

Well, possibly, but ‘Mary’, ‘marry’ and ‘merry’ are not exactly exotic words. The thought that the pronunciation of those three words could be confused had not even begun to start to cross my mind till that conversation.

I warn you, it's easy to get sucked in to this ;-)

https://www.quora.com/How-are-Mary-marry-and-merry-pronounced-in-different-parts-of-the-English-speaking-world

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

... among other things, found A business card with the address of grandad’s sweetshop and tobacconist shop thereon. He had it post WWI to WWII. I still have some of the dishes used to display sweets and a postcard greeting sent to all serving men at Christmas 1914 from King George V and Queen Mary. amid several hundred photos and postcards. Am now making plans to get all this into an archive ...

https://johncolby.wordpress.com/2024/03/25/respiratory-infection-rates-finding-artefacts-of-family-history-lady-day/

IIRC the greetings card came with a quantity of tobacco or cigarettes.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just watched a program on BBC4 about the Darjeeling Railway, very interesting. There's three more programs to come this week at 7 pm Tues-Weds-Thur, you can pick up tonights program on I-player.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

5 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

When I was stationed at RAF Tengah in the late 1960s, the met forecast was the average of the reported conditions for the same day in the previous 20-odd years. It was remarkably accurate.

Dave

Which at the end of the day is basically what that Google Deepmind Graphcast AI forecasting model  is doing, using 40 years of previous data   - and significantly beats current weather systems on 90% of 1,380 metrics.

29 forecast for the top today, not a cloud in the sky. Only the overnight low of a chilly 11 indicates that Autumn is here so far!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

IIRC the greetings card came with a quantity of tobacco or cigarettes.

The greetings card came in a special tin and was organised by Princess Mary

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Mary_Christmas_gift_box

I have an example which was issued to my great-grand-parents  at the end of WW1 in commemoration of my grand-uncle who died in 1915*.

It contains a card and a "bullet pencil". They kept his war medals in it.  I also have his "death penny", a bronze commemorative medallion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Plaque_(medallion)

* He is named on the Thiepval Memorial.

Edited by Hroth
a bit more
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Any street UK…

Even in our humble and remotely-sited town of just 4800 souls there are more non-white faces than appear in that image 😉

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Grizz said:

Any street UK…

IMG_5634.jpeg.aa12775cc6de4f469f453ad60749aae5.jpeg

Unintended consequences…..

Two of the UK’s worst infrastructure maintainers, Road Menders and Water Companies have got together to provide leisure facilities. 

Looks like the streetlight salesfolk are doing alright but!

• Like 1
  • Funny 11