The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, BSW01 said:

The puppy unfortunately has a deformed rear paw and an extra one to boot, poor thing. 

Is that an extra paw or is he a rather well endowed boy puppy?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I hear everyone here complaining about parcels being left on the porch, so how is "undeliverable" then a problem?  If items are simply dropped off then they are surely delivered and not still in the possession of the Royal Mail.

I could see "porch piracy" being a concern in that case.

Unless there are separate "rules" for RM deliveries? Or we are talking about tracked signature required items, which I would have a high confidence would at least go back to the sender.

And the Royal Mail does not deliver in France - at least I presume that they don't, wouldn't that be La Poste?

I find that packages, originating with the Royal Mail and delivered by the US Postal Service are highly reliable. Recently I've been getting all sorts of emails from RM "We have received your parcel", "Your parcel has left the UK" etc.

Here is an example:

Finally, (from the RM) "Your parcel was delivered" (when delivery was by the US Postal Service, on my doorstep).

Apparently an attempt was made to deliver the parcel in France but the recipient was not available and for whatever reason the parcel was not collected and was returned via the post office. It should have been returned to the sender but somehow ended up in the to be sold off pile.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I find it really, really annoying, that interfering busy bodies like the FDA, EMA and MHRA, keep on insisting that such useful tinctures and bromides have to be "safe". Why let the occasional infant death interfere with the use of a most efficient and effective treatment. Children pop their clogs ALL the time!

Bloody namby-pamby Nanny State!

Surely the mortality rate caused by such brews has gotta be less than the rate resulting from poor irate adults at the ends of their tether stranglin' the little  ......sterd's.....  🤣

Edited by polybear
  • Funny 14

HUMP day...

Little to report for the past couple of days. Slow and uneventful both with work and post work activities.

Mrs seems to have a pinched nerve that is giving her some lower back pain, scheduling a physiotherapist hopefully soon.

Weather returning to winter rapidly here, threats of a couple of inches of snow overnight tomorrow and possibly plowable amounts Saturday night and all-day Sunday!

Just what we'd need for Palm Sunday since we've two services we're supposed to sing at!  😵

-6c and sunny first thing, -1c the expected high with clear skies forecast all day.

Onward.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

I thought it was a docked tail.

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a Crufts judge (they like to grapple dogs in that area), so I wasn't paying that much attention to extra "appendages"...

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This has been all over the news for the past week or so. Hopefully those involved once they are prosecuted receive a suitably long sentence.

If A Certain Bear had been placed in a similar position to the man in the article then those responsible would be well advised to ask the Judge to never let them out.....

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

1 hour ago, polybear said:

Bear here.....

Pool piddled, ears lowered, washing machine being driven, bed changed.....

.....plus a meet-up with three buddies for a pub lunch...

There is a slight risk that Bear's four-letter word beginning with D might have hit a slight bump in the road however....

IMG_02981.JPG.f68c40cf12968a416ca96852d6e965c0.JPG

Don't worry, Bear had a Kit Kat Sundae Neutraliser....🤣

Right, how long until Tea Time?

Bear gone....

So have you let Pupcam know that you won't be  dueting with him? 

Well I assume it must be that as it wouldn't be the other 'd' word would it - that's duelling by the way.

• Like 9
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, BSW01 said:

The puppy unfortunately has a deformed rear paw and an extra one to boot, poor thing. 

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I didn't like to say ..

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

So have you let Pupcam know that you won't be  dueting with him? 

Well I assume it must be that as it wouldn't be the other 'd' word would it - that's duelling by the way.

Both those words have more than four letters the last time Bear looked.....😁

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Hroth said:

I got a mention for a "Bach Before Seven" suggestion (The Italian Concerto) some time ago! 

And even a personalised weather forecast...

I got a mention for my suggestion on the play list challenge some time ago.  Unfortunately, the mention was followed by the suggestion that I go for a walk, which I thought was a bit harsh.

Adrian

• Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner tonight was liver and bacon with the usual extras followed by a rice pud. I will have to get my ears lowered soon, my hair is getting a bit too long. I've already caught up with Farcebook this evening so a bit of sudoku will be done before bed.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

8 hours ago, polybear said:

There are just no words to describe how dreadful this is:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-68606271

It is indeed woeful mismanagement by the funeral directors. Much depends on one's perspective regarding cremains.

Done properly, (not considering the possibility of larger bone or teeth fragments, pulverized mechanically during the process) cremains are just "ash" (see below). Essentially no DNA remains - all those identifying carbon-based polymers are combusted.

Cremated remains are mostly dry calcium phosphates with some minor minerals, such as salts of sodium and potassium. Sulfur and most carbon are driven off as oxidized gases during the process, although about 1–4% of carbon remains as carbonate.

I do respect the idea of people holding on to tangible remains of their loved one as part of the grieving process, but for me, the perspective is one of chemicals. There is no DNA. There is no 'personhood' to this matter.

If people don't want to look at this from a chemical perspective, the Judeo-Christian tradition might help. Genesis 3:19 (KJV)

for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

It's not a person or (to me) the meaningful remains of a person. It's dirt - or if you prefer "stardust".

Unless you are looking for the "gleanings" one set of cremated remains is utterly indistinguishable from another.

[Titanium] Implants may be returned to the family, but are more commonly sold as ferrous/non-ferrous scrap metal. After the remains are processed, smaller bits of metal such as tooth fillings, and rings (commonly known as gleanings) are sieved out and may be later interred in common, consecrated ground in a remote area of the cemetery. They may also be sold as precious metal scrap.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 8

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from the Charente.  It's a tad cool but fortunately not frosty.  The plum trees are in blossom so we don't want a frost at this stage. I like my plum jam, plum chutney and plum crumbles. 

An expedition to buy a new strimmer may take place this morning and a tip run this afternoon.  Not a lot else to report for the time being. 

Jamie

• Like 19