The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

'Expensive', 'quality', 'intricate'/'involved'/'complicated'* dishes ..……

……e.g. souffles, meringues for me, I'm sure we all have our culinary 'betes noires'?   

Soufflés are surprisingly easy to make. I was leery of attempting one, but a Nigel Slater Recipe for a smoked salmon soufflé soon set me straight. As for meringues it very much depends upon which type of meringue you are making (there are 3 types: French, Italian and Swiss). The only thing that is critical when working with egg whites is that utensils and bowls must be scrupulously clean and free of any trace of oil/butter/other fat - otherwise the recipe won’t work.

In cooking, like so many things, the easy things look hard and the hard things look easy. And preparing a Brunoise, properly, is one of those easy looking hard things (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunoise). Unsurprisingly, you can now get machines to do that.

Regarding KFC, the problem - in my view - is not so much with “fast food” per se, but with what it’s made from and when it turns from a treat to a daily staple. Having a pizza or a burger every so often is one thing - but on a daily basis?

In those countries with a significant street food culture - like Thailand - “fast food” is a different matter. Most street food in SE Asia is pretty healthy, cooked from scratch and made from unprocessed ingredients.

No matter how healthy a recipe, if you use junk ingredients you get junk food.

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Bear here.....

Up at VSO'C (0430) - yet another piddlin' session in the pool.  Does it feel good?  Well the last half a dozen feet on Lap 30 do, as Bear paddles towards the steps; as for the rest of it, well....

Now safely back in Bear Castle; today's fun includes gettin' the lug'oles lowered, followed by "some fun" (hopefully)

BG

• Like 18

40 minutes ago, polybear said:

You take on Puppers.....you take on The Bear....⚠️

Just thought I'd mention that.....😉

Two for the price of one. What Fun! - Got a safe garage in which to park Mickey the MG?

Thought not!

Captain Cynical

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

43 minutes ago, polybear said:

Nor has Bear, unlike  iD.

Thought I'd mention that too.....

Unlike some, I don't pass judgment on foods I haven't tried at least once. Which means that, yes, I have tried oven fries and tinned baked beans (and they are still barely edible UPF).

Has Bear tried brains? sweetbreads? hare sauce? loin of venison?

Thought not.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Caught earlier on CCTV in Pupper's Garage

image.png.822ce56aab4d5731d578eff726a56a5e.png

That's not this Puppers' garage!  And what the heck is THAT thing holding the cutters! 🤣

10 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Got a safe garage in which to park Mickey the MG?

Now that is just cruel.   Fancy mentioning the G word when conversing with Mr Bear.       A below-the-belt tactic if you ask me

Now, on with the planning ...

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

A rather dull and wet start to the day here in England’s northwest corner. However, this will not prevent me from applying the final coat of paint to the cellar woodwork. All that remains to be done is the small door/hatch, which needs a bit of repair work done and a repaint. But I’ll do that outside in the summer. 

Best get in with it, back later. 

Brian

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This was posted on another forum and I'm posting it here with the original posters permission. No comment is needed.

My middle daughter is a Cordwainer, one of a team of three, making bespoke, handmade to measure  shoes and boots.  At the beginning of the year a pair of £800 boots were dispatched via Royal Mail to a client in France; clearly addressed with both buyer and sellers details.   Delivery was attempted and a note left for the absent buyer.  When the  buyer attempted to collect the package they were told that it had been returned to the manufacturer.  When Royal Mail we’re contacted they said that they were attempting to re deliver. Nothing arrived with either buyer or seller. Several emails were sent in an effort to discover the whereabouts of the elusive parcel. Last week an email reply from Royal Mail said that as the parcel had gone unclaimed for three weeks it had been destroyed!  
 As a gesture of “goodwill” they offered a cheque for £13:49.  
 Yesterday middle daughter was a little surprised to discover a bespoke pair of handmade boots, in branded box and packaging, offered for sale on e*ay!     When she contacted the seller she received a rather patronising reply, declining to say where they had obtained the boots, and suggesting that the company should take as much care with delivery as they took in making the boots in the first place.  
 A Google search reveals that Royal Mail sold on 75,000+ undelivered/undeliverable parcels last year.  Many have appeared for sale online, in many cases still unopened, and in some cases people have spotted their undelivered parcels still bearing their name and address label, clearly displayed in the online listing.  

According to the BBC, the Royal Mail made over £1 million in 2011 (https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-14785851). by selling "undeliverable" parcels. Post-pandemic (and the associated huge increase of buying on line) I am certain that the sum the Royal Mail made in 2023 from selling "undeliverable" parcels (yeah, right!) must be considerably more than just £1 million.

I wonder if some bean-counter at RM has calculated that they will make more money by NOT delivering parcels and selling them off and thus RM only makes desultory attempts to deliver said parcels.

Apparently, there's a whole sub-culture on YouTube where they buy boxes of "undeliverable" parcels and then un-box things on camera for their YouTube viewers.

Someone has to pay to replace the "undeliverable" items, perhaps if "parcel loss insurance" became mandatory, then fewer parcels would be "undeliverable" as insurance companies would be very interested in reducing the payouts they have to make...

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Caught earlier on CCTV in Pupper's Garage

image.png.822ce56aab4d5731d578eff726a56a5e.png

52 minutes ago, PupCam said:

That's not this Puppers' garage!  And what the heck is THAT thing holding the cutters! 🤣

Going by the symbols on chest and hat, whatever it is must be the First Cuccoo of Spring....

I really do feel sorry fot its minder!

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Ah that's a north pointing arrow for the visitors to understand the distant land seen on a clear day is Scotland, not a suburb of Blackpool or something! ...

I've seen engravings at various viewpoints with basic maps and compass bearings/lines so you know what you're looking at. Or would be if the mist would clear. Occasionally with distances included as well. Useful and nice to see. 

ION... time for this picture again? 

spring.jpg.1f7b0258f120e2843613bfd36f9c16e3.jpg

Though it doesn't feel like it at the moment. Maybe later? 

44 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

...  A Google search reveals that Royal Mail sold on 75,000+ undelivered/undeliverable parcels last year.  Many have appeared for sale online, in many cases still unopened, and in some cases people have spotted their undelivered parcels still bearing their name and address label, clearly displayed in the online listing.  

I wonder if one of the 'dishonesty' offences cannot be applied or proven, whether GDPR could be used? If so, then that, the resulting media coverage and public reaction might enable a stop to be put to the practice? 

• Like 14
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

spring.jpg.1f7b0258f120e2843613bfd36f9c1

As the Vernal Equinox occurred just after 3am this morning, Spring can be said to be well and truly here!

Boiiiing!!!  🙂

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

This was posted on another forum and I'm posting it here with the original posters permission. No comment is needed.

My middle daughter is a Cordwainer, one of a team of three, making bespoke, handmade to measure  shoes and boots.  At the beginning of the year a pair of £800 boots were dispatched via Royal Mail to a client in France; clearly addressed with both buyer and sellers details.   Delivery was attempted and a note left for the absent buyer.  When the  buyer attempted to collect the package they were told that it had been returned to the manufacturer.  When Royal Mail we’re contacted they said that they were attempting to re deliver. Nothing arrived with either buyer or seller. Several emails were sent in an effort to discover the whereabouts of the elusive parcel. Last week an email reply from Royal Mail said that as the parcel had gone unclaimed for three weeks it had been destroyed!  
 As a gesture of “goodwill” they offered a cheque for £13:49.  
 Yesterday middle daughter was a little surprised to discover a bespoke pair of handmade boots, in branded box and packaging, offered for sale on e*ay!     When she contacted the seller she received a rather patronising reply, declining to say where they had obtained the boots, and suggesting that the company should take as much care with delivery as they took in making the boots in the first place.  
 A Google search reveals that Royal Mail sold on 75,000+ undelivered/undeliverable parcels last year.  Many have appeared for sale online, in many cases still unopened, and in some cases people have spotted their undelivered parcels still bearing their name and address label, clearly displayed in the online listing.  

Hopefully she had the sense to take out insurance on a parcel of that value.....

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, polybear said:

Hopefully she had the sense to take out insurance on a parcel of that value.....

I,suspect as the compensation was about the value of a book of stamps, I suspect the answer was “no”. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Two for the price of one. What Fun!

Captain Cynical

image.png.c938d07a9aa5ddfaa50513ad8409abcc.png

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1