The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

Mice can be easily solved.

Another place with mouse problems .  WARNING  some distressing photos and video .

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/26757074/zombie-mice-marion-island-birds-eaten-alive/

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

5 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

I'm waiting until he sets up a Just Giving page and then I'd encourage everyone to give him a penny, or a cent, and then see what the receipt processing costs are - wouldn't take much to exceed his net worth.

The individual in question has his own bespoke internet fundraising infrastructure - without needing to resort to off-the-shelf "charity" websites.

He offers many things for exorbitant prices - red hats, gold shoes, NFT trading cards, shirts with his (literal) mug shot on them. It's a long list.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

10 hours ago, Smiffy2 said:

In colloquial English 'French' often means 'done differently so we assume it's foreign and France is nearest' - see also French Knitting and French Cricket. And 'pardon my French' when using an English, or even Anglo-Saxon swearie.

Being curious I did a quick search for "French toast".

A post suggests the following:

The first known recorded recipe for French toast comes from Rome around 300 A.D. The Roman author Apicius included it in his cookbook titled "Cooking and Dining in Imperial Rome". For centuries, the French themselves called this dish "Roman Bread"

This is broadly consistent with the Wikipedia entry.

Many questionable blog posts suggest an unlikely anecdote along these lines:

As far as the term "French toast" goes, it's believed that the name was an accident. Innkeeper and Albany, New York resident Joseph French introduced the dish in 1724, meaning to call it "French's toast" but a grammatical error deleted the apostrophe and the "s" at the end. By 1871, the term "French toast" appeared in the "Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink" in North America.

More likely, without citation is this:

The name “french toast" was first used in 17th-century England. The recipe — and name — were brought to America by early settlers.

The earlier link also suggests this:

We know the dish spread throughout Europe because in the 14th century, an English cookbook titled "Forme of Cury" describes "payn fondue" as bread that has been soaked in wine, fried in grease and sweetened with dry fruit, spices, and sugar.

Pain perdu and payn fondue are suggestively close.

The Wikipedia page does suggest:

In the UK, it is commonly known as eggy bread or occasionally Gypsy toast, a name which dates back to the 14th and 15th century. It was also called Pamperdy or Poor Knights Pudding. It is served as a savory dish.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Ohmisterporter said:

Charity shops don't want them as they have the expense of getting electrical items PAT tested (sic). No idea why we write what is Portable Appliance Test tested but always hear it as PAT tested. It's a funny old language.

It's not even been a PAT (test) for many years it's official name is.

Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment” (ITEE)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The individual in question has his own bespoke internet fundraising infrastructure - without needing to resort to off-the-shelf "charity" websites.

He offers many things for exorbitant prices ..............It's a long list.

Is that to reflect the number of court cases he's facing?

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. 

ER here. I’m on watch in a few minutes if I can see anything. As usual it’s foggy, dribbly and not very nice outside. 

It could be a morning of gazing at the radar and ship-scanner apps. 

• Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

It's not even been a PAT (test) for many years it's official name is.

Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment” (ITEE)

Oh I dunno. 

It’s always been a pat-test when I was single enough to indulge in such things. 

Now it’s a pat-test for His Furship on demand. Including at 3am. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Ey up!

Off to take Beast for his annual service and MoT!

Wish me luck!

Baz

Bye Bye Deltics.....😢

• Agree 15

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Spring is sprung

The weeds is riz

I wonder where the weedkiller is...

Oh yes, it must be in the shed....  🤪

• Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Good moaning from a sunny Charente.  It was sunny yesterday afternoon so I took advantage of it and mowed the weed patches near the house.  If it stays like this the lawn tractor will be in action this afternoon. In the meantime there is the supermarket to visit and the petrol cans to be filled.  

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Someone mentioned on Radio 2 a short time ago they returned from Portugal with “an obscene amount of custard tarts”

Me thinks it’s about time a certain Bear investigated such items further - purely in the interests of science you understand…..

Now where can Bear obtain such things in the uk?

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Morning all. 

ER here. I’m on watch in a few minutes if I can see anything. As usual it’s foggy, dribbly and not very nice outside. 

It could be a morning of gazing at the radar and ship-scanner apps. 

For me it's a day of polishing radars and various objects, plus playing with Henry the Hoover. The Radar museum opens next week. https://www.radarmuseum.co.uk/

Mooring Awl,

3 hours sleep, 1 hours sleep, 2 hours sleep.

I needed air so surprised Ben the dozing Collie by getting up early.

He had a good patrol.  Blue welkin with scattered white fluffy things. Slight breeze.

Ben has just kept up on the sofa, not something he does much these days, but when the temptation is enough he will.

Temptation? Bacon butty.

Back to trying to get the fire to go again.

Time to move.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Someone mentioned on Radio 2 a short time ago they returned from Portugal with “an obscene amount of custard tarts”

Me thinks it’s about time a certain Bear investigated such items further - purely in the interests of science you understand…..

Now where can Bear obtain such things in the uk?

@Grizz  is the bear to ask, I think he has spotted many Custard Tarts a la Portugese, but they're in one of those "posh" supermarkets.

Must admit, they look remarkably moreish!

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

@Grizz  is the bear to ask, I think he has spotted many Custard Tarts a la Portugese, but they're in one of those "posh" supermarkets.

Must admit, they look remarkably moreish!

It is my understanding that Waitrose have hired him as 'security'. Now whether that has anything to do with him 'polishing the glass' of the cake displays I couldn't possibly comment on.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Or you could just go to Waitrose. 

Or get them to deliver. There is a £40 minimum spend for delivery. Doesn’t all have to be cakes!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A good night again, 4 + 2 + 1 hours. I just woke up without any input from bladder control or Arthur Itis. Have to go shopping today or go on an enforced diet and the G word later as the garden is drying out.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Just off to Basildon to take Aditi for a hospital appointment. I am driving in case it takes a while to find somewhere to park. This the visit to the dermatology clinic following last weeks referral by her GP. 

• Friendly/supportive 18