The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/rise-air-fryer-fire-reports-27991639

I'm now taking to switching mine off at the socket, not that there's been any problems with it.  

At least you live in a country where you can switch things off at the plug.  The French don't do switched sockets.  You have to pull the plug out. 

Jamie

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

44 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Thanks for that link. Mrs iD has issued The Command that I am to cook the Lamb in Ale for an Easter Lunch.

44 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

Well that explains a lot!

Presumably, “Beer Goggles” are used to compensate for the “white toast and marmalade” effect. 

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Therefore brunch was enjoyed mid-morning and comprised of French Toast (or eggy-bread if you're not being posh!)

17 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

It took me until last week to learn that the posh name for eggy bread was French toast!

French Toast is the “posh” name for Eggy Bread?

What a load of &£#@#

There’s nothing “posh”* about the term “French Toast”, if you want to be culinarily pedantic it’s actually “Pain Perdu” and is made with day old brioche (or other French bread).

* I’m really starting to dislike the term “posh” - especially when used in regards to food and culture. It’s a nasty little invidious word, redolent of inverse snobbery.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

There’s nothing “posh”* about the term “French Toast”, if you want to be culinarily pedantic it’s actually “Pain Perdu” and is made with day old brioche (or other French bread).

Thank you for this posh pedantry :)

• Like 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I was poking about in the back of the shed this morning, it being sunny and almost warmish, when I came across a net bag of daffodil bulbs that I had been gifted some time ago as damaged stock (they had become damp) from a garden centre. I'd plonked them in a bucket and forgotten all about them.

Anyhow a large number had started to sprout, so I took them out and planted the sprouty ones in tubs.  There were some rotted ones that had failed and it was almost as if the sprouty ones had cannibalised their less fortunate companions.

Now, they're watered in and sitting in a patch of warm sunlight.  I'll just have to see how they go!

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Pain Perdu

Lost bread?  

But I found it in the bread-bin exactly where it should have been, Sir.  

Yes indeed the French call French Toast "pain perdu" for reasons all their own

• Like 7
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

I was poking about in the back of the shed this morning, it being sunny and almost warmish, when I came across a net bag of daffodil bulbs that I had been gifted some time ago as damaged stock (they had become damp) from a garden centre. I'd plonked them in a bucket and forgotten all about them.

Anyhow a large number had started to sprout, so I took them out and planted the sprouty ones in tubs.  There were some rotted ones that had failed and it was almost as if the sprouty ones had cannibalised their less fortunate companions.

Now, they're watered in and sitting in a patch of warm sunlight.  I'll just have to see how they go!

I happened to switch on the telly, rarity at Chateau Winslow as there's so much carp on it nowadays, and who should i spy but Monty Don waffling on about planting tulips. Now hang on a minute Monty me old mucker I said to myself, it's a bit late for that, but you know what if you think about it so long as there late flowering i.e May/June you should be able to get away with that. So I will be potting some up shortly.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Like 14

1 hour ago, Gwiwer said:

...Yes indeed the French call French Toast "pain perdu" for reasons all their own

And I have NO idea what those reasons are, or even the logic behind it.

At least with some dishes, like the Chinese dish of 蚂蚁爬上树 (Mǎyǐ pá shàng shù) - "ants climbing on trees", the name is descriptive of the dish (which is stir-fried minced pork with mung bean vermicelli, flavoured with soy sauce, ginger, cloves garlic, and chilli bean sauce). Legend has that it was first cooked by a dutiful wife from the few ingredients she had to hand and served to her grumpy Mother-In-Law (are there any other types???), who with her bad eyesight mistook the tiny meat bits as ants but loved the dish nonetheless; praising it to her neighbours.

Mind you, "Toad In The Hole" must be baffling to anyone who has missed out on a British uprbringing...

• Like 11
  • Agree 4

Monday, good morning all.

Very nice weekend overall;

Friday evening great happy-hour with Jemma and Brendan, nice pop-up beer event at local wine&cheese shop.

Saturday, much to-do activity around the house.

Sunday, Mrs off to a birthday party followed by us at a concert, one of our fund-raiser events. Six local female singers put on a '60s womens' songs special.

Back working today, slow but "proceeding"

Weather dropping down again here, -6c first thing with partly cloudy skies, only going to manage 2c later. Forecast of some light snow by the end of the week!

Carry on.

• Like 17

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Lost in the sense that being a day old, it was beyond being eaten fresh - a new baguette from the boulanger being available anyway.

So explained a French associate. I've never heard of "eggy-bread". It is always "French toast" on this side of the pond.

I wonder if "eggy-bread" is an archaic equivalent to "Freedom Fries" - given the historical antipathy to anything south of La Manche. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Toad In The Hole" must be baffling to anyone who has missed out on a British uprbringing...

Maybe so but the sausages resemble toads with a little imagination and they sit in a hole in the batter. 

But Shepherd’s Pie / Cottage Pie are not made from shepherds or cottages.  

• Like 10
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

In colloquial English 'French' often means 'done differently so we assume it's foreign and France is nearest' - see also French Knitting and French Cricket. And 'pardon my French' when using an English, or even Anglo-Saxon swearie.

• Like 8
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

At least with some dishes, like the Chinese dish of 蚂蚁爬上树 (Mǎyǐ pá shàng shù) - "ants climbing on trees", the name is descriptive of the dish (which is stir-fried minced pork with mung bean vermicelli, flavoured with soy sauce, ginger, cloves garlic, and chilli bean sauce). Legend has that it was first cooked by a dutiful wife from the few ingredients she had to hand and served to her grumpy Mother-In-Law (are there any other types???), who with her bad eyesight mistook the tiny meat bits as ants but loved the dish nonetheless; praising it to her neighbours.

Mind you, "Toad In The Hole" must be baffling to anyone who has missed out on a British uprbringing...

Let alone one of my favourites, fly pie. 

Jamie

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've spent the day doing a lot of little things, a bit of tidying, finishing a book, reading some articles in a magazine and so on.  The cleaner came, worked quickly and well so the house looks a lot better.

I decided to go and buy a Kornish (sic) pasty for lunch, while I was out I had a look at the Quayside and a walk on the promenade, no photos as there wasn't anything really interesting to see, just some water, sand and pebbles.  There weren't even many people or dogs about.

This afternon has been more of the same.  There may be more news later.

David

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

... But Shepherd’s Pie / Cottage Pie are not made from shepherds or cottages.  

My proposition is that it's a different preposition. Dishes (supposedly) made by shepherds or by cottagers?

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Bear here....

A quiet morning post-paddlin'; post-din dins meant giving Mickey a "pretty good but not the works" wash - it still saw off 2 hours though ☹️

Now a totally shattered Teddy - I reckon paddlin' + car washing must've seen off a good few calories....

BG

edit:  Just had an email from Aldi - they're floggin' Dual Basket Air Fryers from Thursday for sixty five notes should anyone feel the urge.......I imagine they'll sell pretty quick

Edited by polybear
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9