The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, almost nine before I stirred. Partly due to my not getting to bed until just after midnight and taking co-codamol (for the first time in two weeks*) shortly before going to bed. Only one interruption from bladder control as well. *Arthur Itis has been very quiet of late but yesterday made up for it.

14 minutes ago, polybear said:

Even Bear eats Beetroot (which I'm sure will amaze iD) - though my version comes in a Jar.

Have to be REAL careful not to splash it on the fur though - takes ages to get the stain out.....

I'll let fellow ER'ers decide if it beats this....for £.....

image.png.7deea51da136bb7c9bd7db70f563eef2.png

As long as you don't end up like this chap, not surprisingly dead at 32.

https://twitter.com/creepydotorg/status/1769077990493765775/photo/1

image.png.0f90f407610ecc540fc53f5c0cf683c6.png

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

I'll let fellow ER'ers decide if it beats this....for £.....

image.png.7deea51da136bb7c9bd7db70f563eef2.png

Depends on the ingredients: mass produced UPF or real ingredients that don't contain a an ICI factory's worth of chemicals?

Locally sourced ingredients, high-animal-welfare meats, free-range eggs responsibly sourced coffees and teas. What's not to like?

And if you have to have pommes frites at breakfast, then hand-cut*, triple-cooked chips free of phosphates and other non-potato-ey "things" will add the necessary crunch.

* Chef speak for "they didn't come from a box in the freezer, we made themselves from real potatoes"

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

On United Airlines I remember a transatlantic flight where I enjoyed listening to two elderly flight attendants spend the entire flight ranting about how much they hated United. I was in the back row of the fwd cabin with the galley behind me and these two old guys were spurring each other on to outdo each other in their hatred of the company.  Other than leaving the galley to serve dinner and respond to calls it was literally the entire flight. I find it splendid and made for a most enjoyable flight (though for all the wrong reasons from a United perspective) but it may help to explain why I prefer Asian Airlines. If flight attendants with Singapore Airlines,  ANA, JAL, Cathay Pacific, Air China etc were like that they'd have been fired long ago.

• Like 18
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

59 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

What an amazing garden they have created there - so much more than you would expect from a 'Vicarage' - but even the house is so much bigger than the average rural vicarage. Must wind up the I-Player later to watch the programme Glorious Gardens from Above which was on BBC2 earlier this morning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04t6tdz/glorious-gardens-from-above-13-norfolk

Link below to East Ruston for anyone visiting Mr Q's part of East Norfolk. Looking at the map I would therefore guess that Ben (and TheQ) live somewhere in an overgrown garden between Happisburgh and Sea Palling - perhaps near Eccles - in which case several ERs enjoy your cakes !!😃

https://eastrustonoldvicarage.co.uk/

EDIT - changed the BBC link - which also includes Bressingham and the Broads so even more reasons to watch it as we plan to be in that area sometime over the summer.

Known about East Ruston garden for a number of years but unfortunately never had an opportunity to visit. It is absolutely superb and has won quite a few accolades. I would heartily recommend it to anyone in that neck of the woods, even if there not into gardening.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

The new (23/24) series or the older series?

I think that the current Father Brown series isn't a patch on the previous series. When the actress playing Mrs MCarthy left (retired?) and they swapped the posh girls for some gobby orphan and an unbelievable love interest for the inspector, then the series became even more implausible than it used to be.

Currently filling the spot of "undemanding, lightweight, fun entertainment" is the Sister Boniface series (but even that pushes credulity a bit too far: the episode I watched yesterday featured a 60s "pop group" with a one armed actor playing a guitarist! Not a drummer - like the fellow in the real life band Def Leppard - but a guitarist?)

Suspension of disbelief is all very well and good, but when you have something like a pannier tank hauling "a crack express" or a Morris Minor chasing (and catching) something like an E-Type Jaguar, then any semblance of reality evaporates - leaving the programme to succeed or fail on the acting and/or writing.

Victoria Wood's Acorn Antiques may have been an affectionate pastiche of bad daytime TV, but is still spot-on even in these days of AI, green screen CGI and the like.

Father Brown - repeat of earlier series.

Not seen the "new" series so no spoilers, please! 😜

• Friendly/supportive 15

I confess to not being without sin.

Mrs iD is off with her friend with the Wolfpack + 1. I am keeping myself warm with a good cigar and a fortified coffee.

IMG_4587.jpeg.ba770681578dd09fab2b375f0c9b63ff.jpeg

IMG_4588.jpeg.bf111ab628a55253d90e07945d8d975c.jpeg
Where I'm staying has a fumoir where one can enjoy a good cigar, brandy and whisky (alas as the sun isn't yet over the Yardarm it's a bit too early for a "wee dram"

The occasional good cigar and a "wee dram" is probably my only vice (Captain Cynical on the other hand has several)

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept this morning, almost nine before I stirred. Partly due to my not getting to bed until just after midnight and taking co-codamol (for the first time in two weeks*) shortly before going to bed. Only one interruption from bladder control as well. *Arthur Itis has been very quiet of late but yesterday made up for it.

As long as you don't end up like this chap, not surprisingly dead at 32.

https://twitter.com/creepydotorg/status/1769077990493765775/photo/1

image.png.0f90f407610ecc540fc53f5c0cf683c6.png

Poor chap looks like he was the source idea for Weebles.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

17 minutes ago, polybear said:

Don't forget - Bear has standards.....

That was my point my dear Beary cousin. You have standards.

Black Pudding, especially the locally produced one that Mrs Grizz manages to source, is wonderful. 

and it is an essential part of the Grizz family full on, full cooked breakiefast. Although I do draw the line at anything that resembles a tinned tomato, as that is an abomination before the gods. whereas a locally produced, as in our neighbours, home grown beef tomato, grilled, with a dash of sea salt and fresh chopped horbs…..now that is delicious. 

But is all down to personal taste. 

i miss the full on cooked breakfasts north of the border. Square soss….now that’s the stuff, with fired haggis slices….all in lard. Mmmmmmm I can feel my arteries hardening as I type. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Ooooooo I’m watching the 1935 film, The Last Journey. For those who don’t know the film, and are interested in the strips of metal that leave Paddington and their associated machinery and equipment that head West from London…then this is the film for you 

It is live ATM on Talking Pictures TV Channel. 

Edited by Grizz
Add the channel it is on.
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4

35 minutes ago, polybear said:

Don't forget - Bear has standards.....

Oh stop it, PB. I'm getting a stitch in my sides 🤣

p.s. congrats on the weight loss. Unfortunately, the hard bit - keeping it off - is still to come!

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Anyone like these? I have discovered that they are lovely when eaten frozen. 

IMG_3542.jpeg.577dbdb863510639a9a72eb963b382e8.jpeg

Sadly a bit too UPF for me:

Mallow (38%) (Sugar, Glucose syrup, Egg white), Milk chocolate (34%) (Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, Standardised whole milk, Skimmed milk powder, Palm oil, Shea butter, Emulsifier [soya lecithin], Flavouring), Biscuit (28%) (Fortified wheat flour [wheat flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin], Vegetable oil [palm, rapeseed], Sugar, Raising agents [sodium bicarbonate, disodium diphosphate]).

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

6 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Sadly a bit too UPF for me:

Mallow (38%) (Sugar, Glucose syrup, Egg white), Milk chocolate (34%) (Sugar, Cocoa butter, Cocoa mass, Standardised whole milk, Skimmed milk powder, Palm oil, Shea butter, Emulsifier [soya lecithin], Flavouring), Biscuit (28%) (Fortified wheat flour [wheat flour, calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin], Vegetable oil [palm, rapeseed], Sugar, Raising agents [sodium bicarbonate, disodium diphosphate]).

I must confess Doc, I am only allowed these as very exceptional treats, very exceptionally. 😭

Edited by Grizz
Plural of treat
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, monkeysarefun said:

Went down to the local supermarket to get some pineapples and saw that these are back in stock.

I wonder how they'd go in a smoothie.

image.png.7d24e54065d63eb0d1a827348010bb52.png

Like a stinkbomb, I expect...

Must say, they look like hedgehogs!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5