The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Really, there should be 22/7 comestibles on display...

Infinitely recurring?  

I'm sure @iL Dottore would have more to say on the matter if those illustrated were to recur.  The image was derived from a friend (and cropped to show only the "food" items) who annually decorates something akin to a pie with something akin to ketchup in the form of the ∏ equation.  Because some people have too much time on their hands ....... 

• Like 3
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

The only square pie we came across in Pieland Australia hailed from the Warrnambool Bakery. All others were round.

Maybe it was a NSW quirk but Big Ben rat coffins here have always been square, from the ones you could buy in the school canteen in winter in 1973 through to the ones you fish out with tongs from the pie warmer in every servo.

image.png.ba42ef0bab33db33863f27e9623ec45c.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 15
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

God Forbid that the NGOs and governments of “Developed Countries” actually listened to and heeded what poorer countries say they want and need. It could cause the entire “aid industry” to collapse. And then what would the makers of expensive SUVs do? How would the airlines fill the First Class cabins? Not to mention what would happen to livelihoods of local “fixers” who provide poorly paid local staff to NGOs etc at exorbitant prices?

A lot of western Aid is strategic, withdraw it from your  less wealthy neighbours and run the risk of China arriving in a country right on your doorstep to build ports, trainlines and airports, then calling in the debt by asking if they can park their navy and airforce there.

Probably less likely in  Switzerland, but definitely an issue in SE Asia/ Indo Pacific!

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Agree 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Infinitely recurring?  

But where do you stop?

Also, I've found that many pies do tend to repeat all night...

Edited by Hroth
Forgot the original reason for my reply! And with a proper computer, tidied things up!.
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Mmmmmm..,.  Pie!

I'll pop out and get a nice pie for tea, otherwise it'll be fish'n'chips...

ION

Got a pie.

Looking forward to pie, chips'n'mushy peas this evening!

• Like 17

17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

ION

Got a pie.

Oh dear, oh dearie, dearie, me!  Now you’ve done it.

Just as we’ve put the “what is a pie?” debate to bed (FWIW: pastry of choice top AND bottom, filling of choice - fsh, meat or vegetable [preferably not potato = carb overload]. A pie with only a pastry top is a poncy stew with pretensions), you have to resurrect the thorny issue of what goes with a pie?

Well, alcohol of some kind for starters, but then?

Those who follow my culinary rambling know I am very much a purist when it comes to food, but in matters pie I am pretty liberal (obviously excluding the non-negotiable double crust requirement).

I think that what you have with your pie (with the exception of the alcohol) is a very situationally and pie dependent. For example, a decent pork pie in a pub would need no more than a pint of a good ale and possibly some chutney to go with it. A dinner party with hot venison pie as mains would certainly benefit by being accompanied by game chips and a green vegetable of some sort (possibly Savoy cabbage sautéed with a little onion and bacon) - together with a glass of a robust claret.

The only thing I would be wary of when choosing my pie accompaniments would be ending up with a carbohydrate overload. Now, I know there are a number of ER posters whose idea of heaven is carbohydrates wrapped around carbohydrates with a side order of carbohydrates. But I think in matters pie with carbohydrate accompaniments “less is more”. The humble chip is often a more than suitable accompaniment to a pie,  but the choice of chip is critical. A good pie chip should not be thick, soggy and greasy (like most chip-shop chips), nor should it be skinny like Twiggy and nothing more than flavourless crunch. A triple cooked chip would be the ideal (it goes without saying frozen oven chips are only a just about a barely adequate substitute for the culinarily indigent 🤣)

As for mushy peas - aren’t they the non millennial-hipsters version of mashed avocado? 😳🤣🤣🤣

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

2 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

the ones you could buy in the school canteen in winter

The school tuck shop pies were square. If I remember correctly, so were the pies at Lang Park*.

* Former name for Brisbane's primary Rugby League stadium- before paid naming rights.

Whether they were all the same brand, I wouldn't know. Certainly the (presumably) made on premises, cake shop/bakery pies were usually round.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I don't eat all that many pies and if I do it's usually a pork pie. The only pickles I have with them are pickled onions or piccalilli, if it's not too sweet, something with a bit of bite. If pickles aren't available a beefsteak tomato will do, not one of those red grapes that have no flavour. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

ION

Got a pie.

It’ll be fish pie here. With peas. Already topped with crispy mash so no chips required 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

As for mushy peas - aren’t they the non millennial-hipsters version of mashed avocado?

Mashed (or “smashed”) avocado often appears on breakfast menus 

Mushy peas have yet to do so on any menu seen by these eyes. 

Were I of the ilk who enjoys avocado I might be tempted by a dish which offered that alongside poached eggs and crumbled goat feta. 

Mushy peas have their place. It is alongside fush’n’chups at supper. Not at breakfast. 

Avocado?  I’ll eat it out of respect if presented to me but the only form I would choose is quack-in-the-hole guacamole.  Alongside some good Mexican-style grub. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course one potential accompaniment to pies is ... baked beans!

Teasing aside, I tend to favour peas - mushy or otherwise - but for me at least, it really does depend on what's in the pie. Sometimes roast parsnip and/or carrot, in the green line, I have been known to have leeks, cabbage and cucumber. Though not all at once. If it's a fish or chicken pie, then a well-chosen salad could well be selected. 

• Like 15

BIN and Pi day.

Have to make do with 3 BINs, Essentially rounded down for Pi collection.

Two of the three already collected, we just await the Midday collection of the recycle.

Yesterday, by all accounts (those with an appreciation for our performances), the schola managed a very creditable effort at the Reconciliation service.

More importantly we (the schola) had an excellent evening, post service, at a local watering hole, good food and beverages in abundance.

Today, slow work looks like and later we're off with friends to hear a Queen tribute band. Heard them before, last year, and they're so good we wanted a second serving!

6c and BIN time, overcast but no expectation of precipitation, 11c the high later today.

Tally ho.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Oh dear, oh dearie, dearie, me!  Now you’ve done it.

Just as we’ve put the “what is a pie?” debate to bed (FWIW: pastry of choice top AND bottom, filling of choice - fsh, meat or vegetable [preferably not potato = carb overload]. A pie with only a pastry top is a poncy stew with pretensions), you have to resurrect the thorny issue of what goes with a pie?

Well, alcohol of some kind for starters, but then?

Those who follow my culinary rambling know I am very much a purist when it comes to food, but in matters pie I am pretty liberal (obviously excluding the non-negotiable double crust requirement).

I think that what you have with your pie (with the exception of the alcohol) is a very situationally and pie dependent. For example, a decent pork pie in a pub would need no more than a pint of a good ale and possibly some chutney to go with it. A dinner party with hot venison pie as mains would certainly benefit by being accompanied by game chips and a green vegetable of some sort (possibly Savoy cabbage sautéed with a little onion and bacon) - together with a glass of a robust claret.

The only thing I would be wary of when choosing my pie accompaniments would be ending up with a carbohydrate overload. Now, I know there are a number of ER posters whose idea of heaven is carbohydrates wrapped around carbohydrates with a side order of carbohydrates. But I think in matters pie with carbohydrate accompaniments “less is more”. The humble chip is often a more than suitable accompaniment to a pie,  but the choice of chip is critical. A good pie chip should not be thick, soggy and greasy (like most chip-shop chips), nor should it be skinny like Twiggy and nothing more than flavourless crunch. A triple cooked chip would be the ideal (it goes without saying frozen oven chips are only a just about a barely adequate substitute for the culinarily indigent 🤣)

As for mushy peas - aren’t they the non millennial-hipsters version of mashed avocado? 😳🤣🤣🤣

You’re takin’ a pop at Bear again……

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

As for mushy peas - aren’t they the non millennial-hipsters version of mashed avocado?

Only if you gravitate towards thinking that "mashed avacado" is a desirable foodstuff.  🙂

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Actually....

I know we've recalled school meals with disgust, but things haven't got any better...

School meals: Southampton head disgusted by food given to pupils

_132901633_mediaitem132901630.jpg.webp.735bd58dd42f38acb6e23d7baf61425e.webp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68551949

Yuck!

Though the top-left example looks edible AND identifiable to me, compared with the others...

Edited by Hroth
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

@iL Dottore also believes that with all things PIE, serving proportions should reflect the importance of each ingredient:

_cf46bfac-6f1f-4008-a726-829795d864f6.jpg.9dd585cbf9d37e71842f3b65c1a4d5dd.jpg

Pie > chips > peas.

The pie looks like its from a "serves 4" pack...

So are you going to share it?  🤔

• Funny 12

7 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Actually....

I know we've recalled school meals with disgust, but things haven't got any better...

School meals: Southampton head disgusted by food given to pupils

_132901633_mediaitem132901630.jpg.webp.735bd58dd42f38acb6e23d7baf61425e.webp

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-68551949

Yuck!

That looks truly disgusting.

I wouldn't touch any of that with a barge pole and I certainly wouldn't feed any of that to my dogs....

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 5
  • Agree 5

Don't you just hate it when you order "The Carnivore's Platter" at places like The City and Guilds Oyster & Chop House and they insist on adding gratuitous vegetables.

_f9189461-67a0-426d-87a7-e0a42f6aacf2.jpg.623b73cf8934391699f49d990dc7a29f.jpg

Me? If I had wanted peas, I would have ordered peas....

Edited by iL Dottore
Format
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

The weather forecast was wrong as usual, it has rained when it said dry and vice versa.  In the end I decided to visit the local Homebase to have a walk round in the dry.  There was plenty to look at, including a few things I will probably buy when I can start to lift and move things again in due course.  I came out with some long narrow module seed trays with clear plastic covers to put on window sills in the house when I am able to sow my seeds.   I am hoping to be able to do it towards the end of next week, consultant permitting.

Back home I had lunch then did some model bits, I managed to get the window frames in the correct apetures and the right way up which is always pleasing.  Then there was horse racing to watch.

Later today will be the usual mix I expect.

I find I sometimes get a bit bored and frustrated when I think of something to do and realise that it is still not sensible until things finish healing fully.

David

• Friendly/supportive 18