The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Grizz said:

Yes…yes we do…….AND we WON. 🤪 and I drank numerous pints of Harvey’s. Old Ale, Best, Stout, Porter, Porter, Old, Old, Porter and Old…….AND….WE WON…..did I mention that? ….”SEEEEEEEEGULLLS!!!!!!!”…..happy Grizz and number 1 cub. 

Gonna probs fall asweep after supper……☺️

Hmmmm

Let’s see. 

The past few games have not seen the Seagull chaps score a single goal. 

A new tactic was tried today. Let the opposition score a goal for us in their own net and allow us to walk away with three points. 

Won?  

On paper, yes. But please, chaps, let’s take a leaf out of the ladies’ team which stuck seven goals past their opponents in the usual 90 minutes plus play-acting, whingeing and other stoppage time. 

• Like 15

25 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

A new tactic was tried today. Let the opposition score a goal for us in their own net and allow us to walk away with three points. 

Yeah you are completely right @Gwiwer….but right now…I’ll take it! 😂

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, Grizz said:

From where we were sitting it ricocheted off of one of their players…..I’ll still take it! 

Oh you poor deluded fool. You've sunk that low have you.

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Toad in the hole for dinner tonight with a few veggies. Just watched a bit of TV this evening and there was an interesting item on the Antiques Roadshow, a bronze Buddha dating back to the Ming dynasty. What was interesting was where it was found, in the Australian outback. Apparently the Chinese had visited Australia long before Europeans even knew of its existence. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Apparently the Chinese had visited Australia long before Europeans even knew of its existence. 

There was a series of (pre-Columbian) Ming Dynasty trading fleets in the first half of the 15th century - that visited most of the Indian Ocean.

This Wikipedia page is a bit tedious - it really could use more maps - but it lists seven voyages between 1405 and the 1430s.

A book titled "1421 - The Year the Chinese Discovered America" authored by an RN submariner posits that further fleets entered the Atlantic and Pacific oceans.  It has largely been dismissed as pseudohistory, but I enjoyed some of the ideas. 

Wikimedia has a nice map of the Ming Dynasty treasure fleets (on the 1421 page).

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

If anyone is interested in early global maritime connections, there is a great book called “The Boundless Ocean” by the historian David Abulafia*. There was so much activity and interaction between people groups much earlier than I thought (especially in south east Asia and into India and the Levant).

*He also wrote “The Great Sea” which is another good read with a more detailed focus on the Mediterranean.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 13

It's after 6:30pm and is still light. Sunset (daylight saving time) is not for another 40 minutes or so.

I'll get used to it but is is disruptive. I spent the middle of the day in the dark (watching Dune - part 2) which ended a little after 3:00pm. The sun* was still quite high the sky - well under two hours at that point since solar noon.

* We had a short 'sun break' in the rainy overcast.

The Academy Award telecast is on. There is live tennis from southern California. I might bounce back and forth.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

The reply to the SOTU address has spoiled acting for me forever.

7 minutes ago, TheQ said:

SOTU?

State Of The Union

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 7