The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 6

15 hours ago, Hroth said:

deepfake AI images

This election season will see myriad AI-generated fakes purporting to be a reason to vote for or against someone. There have already been more serious deepfake audio robocalls pretending to be a candidate telling people not to vote in a primary. Audio is less obvious (lacking three arms).

Expect much more of this before November.

• Agree 11
  • Informative/Useful 5

9 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Was it the beavertails or the bison burgers that caused the problem?

More like pootine poutine I suspect.

Though arguably those are the Québécois sh!ts.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 10
  • Funny 4

9 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

Sunday also managed to break another high-for-the-day record, 21c-23c across most of the Twin Cities, pretty much declaring there was/is no winter.

Still <8°C for the highs here. Freezing overnight. Wet melting snow decorated the grassy verge this morning.

We might see 12°C later in the week.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 11

6 hours ago, polybear said:

I reckon it's time for a change.

Suggestions welcome please.....

How about something completely different.

I keep seeing this commercial on television. (No spiders this time - I promise. I'll even pinky swear.)

I'm sure it involves bears at some point - there's even a reference to Polar bears on TripAdvisor.

Under the caption:

How did Noah keep the Polar Bears cool?

Some people disagree and even discuss dieting for Polar Bears.

It pains me to admit it, but the genius behind all this is a Queenslander and even graduated from the same university I did - though they wouldn't put up with his nonsense there so he moved to Kentucky.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

26 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Outdoors was at room temperature today.

TV reported that we were half a degree short of a record (we made 20) while the average is 1.

There was snow blowing last week and there will be a drop in temp for the rain later in the week.

A monster blizzard (10' of snow) on Donner Pass in the Sierras (California / Nevada border, with 70 miles of I80 completely shut down due to excessive snow - 39°N) and 25°C in Eastern Ohio (40°N).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, polybear said:

Turdycurses.....

Did you expect another outcome?

SCOTUS watchers are providing assessments of the two (different) but concurring opinions offered in addition to the writ of certiorari, Per Curiam opinion on this case before the court.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 9

4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Did you expect another outcome?

SCOTUS watchers are providing assessments of the two (different) but concurring opinions offered in addition to the writ of certiorari, Per Curiam opinion on this case before the court.

The potential next president of the USA's  response at a subsequent press conference regarding the decision was written for him by  an AI generator that someone had accidently left out on the road and it got  driven over a few times and then got rained on, but the light on top still worked so they just used it anyway.

"A president has to be free a president has to be if the president president does a good job I did some people would say a great job but if the president does a good job a president should be free and clear and frankly celebrated for having done a good job not indicted four times and not gone after on a civil basis and not uh demanded to be to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines on something that was absolutely perfect where there were no victims where the financial statements were absolutely Flawless where you have disclaimer clauses I mean nobody's ever had a thing like this I wasn't given a jury and I had a clubhouse judge just come up with this number on a perfect loan and very conservative financial statements but even at that if you look the disclaimer says don't rely on the financial statements in any way shape or form go out and do your own work"

(Actual transcript...)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, monkeysarefun said:

written for him by  an AI generator

You are being very unkind to state of the art of Large Language Model, generative artificial intelligence. It can and does construct proper sentences, rather than run-on, word salad.

If you want to be entertained, search for:

Big man, strong, man, tears streaming down his face, and he comes up to me and he said, ...

The mythical crying man Yule log is one of the better montages.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

9 hours ago, Grizz said:

Mmmmmmmm pulled pork…..😋..

I can’t mention what I actually had, because I don’t want to upset a distant, distant relation…who isn’t allowed to have any. 

Particularly the non straight ones…like I had. 

You don’t mean…. No, you can’t possibly mean….

Gasp! Shock! Horror!

CAKE

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Don’t think I mentioned 2 hours 15 minutes of two people cramped on the seat next to me.  I’ve had my personal space constantly invaded and back cramps plus hands on my leg.

I love the train☹️ 

Pity a Poly wasn't with you....I'm sure I could do a special line in edumukayshun.....

• Like 12

10 hours ago, Grizz said:

Agency, temp staff…construction companies running railways. Bob the builder playing trains….because anyone can do this job. 

It’s heartbreaking to see a country that pioneered railways reduced to this. 

Some people will blame privatisation, yet the Japanese privatised their railways (and before Britain) and yet provide a level of service, comfort and technological excellence that’s only dreamt of in the UK.

Many formerly underdeveloped countries - like Morocco - are now building railway systems that are as good as any in the world.

And Britain?

I think that what bedevils the UK (and not just with the railways) is the tolerance (if not promotion) of incompetence and the triumph of ideology over pragmatism. Once you get to a certain level in any UK organisation you become teflon-coated and bomb-proof. Nothing sticks and you can’t be ousted.

How many times have the newspapers reported that someone in charge of a scandal ridden organisation has moved on to a better paying job elsewhere?. Why can neither the government or (certain) unions set aside their ideological positions and get to a win-win situation?

Britain still produces many excellent railwaymen (and woman) and engineers, but it seems that many are seeking greener pastures further afield. (apparently quite a number of Brits were involved in building the Gotthard Base Tunnel).

If Captain Cynical ever gets to take over the UK (a country he holds dear in his heart) there’ll be a LOT of heads on spikes before the dust settles…..

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6
  • Round of applause 5

11 hours ago, polybear said:

Suggestions welcome please.....

I can STRONGLY recommend a driving holiday preferably in the style of Top Gear/The Grand Tour where you  turn up in your car at a predefined location and then I could play the part of  that bloke  who sends  you various challenges by text messages.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

You never got any money out of me, Mike... I'm sure your holiday will be a bit different from Skeggy.

40 years later (or thereabouts) I'm still Treasurer collecting cash - and we're going to Mablethorpe at Easter to visit No 1 son  !!

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I always remember that we knew you as "Cash-me-a-Cheque" . . . . . . . . . 

That's how I feel as well . . . . . but as I will be "Three Score Years and Ten" next month, Mrs B insisted that we must have a special holiday and so we are going on the "Coastal Express" with Hurtigruten up and down the coast of Norway - stopping at 34 ports on the way up to beyond North Cape, and then all the way back again. This is a regular service and 24 hours ahead of you is another ship doing the same journey and one 24 hours behind you. Some of the stops are just for 20 minutes in the middle of the night but you might see the same port in daylight on the way back. Not a formal cruise as some passengers are just hopping from one fiord to another for work or family visits. Maximum number of passengers around 600 and during longer stops at larger ports such as Tromso and Trondheim there are excursions available as extras.

I must admit that we were very lucky to see a "Black Friday" promotion and so got the actual cruise for half price . . . . . . .  and despite my initial reservations, I'm now looking forward to the trip.

https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/destinations/norway/classic-round-voyage-bergen-kirkenes-bergen/#key-info

We’ve done it quite a few times and think it is or was branded ‘the most beautiful voyage in the world’ can’t really disagree.

IMG_4979.jpeg

Edited by Erichill16
Change for a better picture
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Barry O said:

Off to play with a scale model of a place near Barnsley near Barnsley today @Erichill16knows where I mean!

May be going for a walk on the very line today.

By the way have you ever visited the location?

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1