The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

hmm, forum's on the fritz, pages 12796 and 12797 are identical.

Seems to have sorted itself.

Been wet, dark and sunny at various times today.. the constant bit is.. its flippinfreezin!

Baz

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

11 hours ago, TheQ said:

I noticed a TV presenter yesterday she was wearing trousers that completely hid her feet and dragged on the floor and seemed to stay the same diameter all the way up.. not flares but equally as silly.

It is a "style" called "puddle pants". It is a fashion moment that has already passed.

Ridiculously impractical - unless one's locus is entirely the flooring of a Dalek mothership - clean and smooth.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

So it seems I have to visit the Trafford Centre, it would be hell, except we can walk to it and Sparks has an outside entrance so it will be a surgical in and out visit.

As a reward I will be treated to a Starbucks at the nearby retail park.

Then Aldi for our tea ingredients.

*$$$$$$$$ for short!

Hat

coat...

• Like 12

8 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

the bloke on the left is Don Dunstan

I remember Don Dunstan well. Those short shorts are a vibrant pink by the way.

The internet obliges.

There was nothing that he did that was not controversial dragging South Australia out of the long dark ages of the Bob Menzies era.

Dunstan's socially progressive administration saw Aboriginal land rights recognised, homosexuality decriminalised, the first female judge (Dame Roma Mitchell) appointed, the first non-British governor, Sir Mark Oliphant, and later the first Indigenous governor, Sir Douglas Nicholls. He enacted consumer protection laws, reformed and expanded the public education and health systems, abolished the death penalty, relaxed censorship and drinking laws, created a ministry for the environment, enacted anti-discrimination law, and implemented electoral reforms such as the overhaul of the Legislative Council, the upper house of Parliament, lowered the voting age to 18, enacted universal suffrage, and completely abolished malapportionment. He also established Rundle Mall, enacted measures to protect buildings of historical heritage, and encouraging arts, with support for the Adelaide Festival Centre, the State Theatre Company, and the establishment of the South Australian Film Corporation.

I well remember cricket commentators complaining about the 'hideous' Festival Centre - being located adjacent (across the Torrens) to the Adelaide oval.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Grizz said:

Aha…the mystery of the inspiration behind AC/DC Angus Young’s signature stage costume has finally been revealed.

Given their background, transplanted Scots in Oz - yes.

Angus was eight when they moved from Glasgow to Sydney.

Prompted by the worst winter on record in Scotland and TV advertisements offering assisted travel for families to immigrate to Australia, the Youngs flew from Scotland to Sydney, Australia, in late June 1963.[

• Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Probably been told not to eat or drink any local produce in case it made them ill. 

The shock of food with very few additives  and e numbers could prove to be a serious problem

for a delicate constitution . 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

hmm, forum's on the fritz, pages 12796 and 12797 are identical.

This is a regular though transient occurrence. I have seen it and mentioned it. So has @DaveF. It sorts itself out eventually.

It is a curious little bug. A bit déjà vu inducing but mostly harmless. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

If you want to connect it try out with any super soundy Deltic type things it probably isn’t a good idea to use a simple power supply. They are not very well (if at all regulated). I found this out years ago, the loco raced off at high speed and never worked again. Perhaps I was very unlucky but I am not making that mistake again. I have a couple of bench type variable voltage DC supplies that don’t harm decoder fitted locos. 

Bear is somewhat of a Luddite - no DCC - and no sound (the latter being £££)

2 hours ago, The Lurker said:

Yes it is. I think it is something to do with Ramadan

EDIT - Ramadan starts next week, hence next weekend’s Saudi Arabia race is on Saturday- and the races have to be at least 7 days apart and so this weekend’s was on a Saturday too.

Islamic Countries tend to have their weekends on Friday & Saturday as Friday is the Holiest Day/Prayer Day in the Muslim Religion.

When Bear worked in Kuwait we had to follow this convention.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

1 minute ago, polybear said:

Islamic Countries tend to have their weekends on Friday & Saturday

So does Israel. 

Shabbat candle lighting starts 18 minutes before sundown on a Friday. Shabbat begins at sundown and candles must be lit by then.

• Like 3
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, polybear said:

Bear is somewhat of a Luddite - no DCC - and no sound (the latter being £££)

Coreless motors as fitted in many devices allegedly don’t like lumpy DC either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The White Rabbit said:

captcha.jpg.3faef8e477d1aa729c059fb69e810039.jpg

There was a programme about the Russian Army on the PBS channel on Freeview earlier this evening, and told how the Finns humiliated them during the Winter War in 1939.

Putin seems to be making the same mistakes as his hero, Stalin did, nowadays...

• Agree 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1