The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

* curly fries, pizza and baked beans were conspicuous by their absence!

Interviews are a two-way process….. and you just failed…..

• Funny 19

6 minutes ago, polybear said:

Interviews are a two-way process….. and you just failed…..

Sorry that you feel this way PB. But the lunchtime interviews took place in Switzerland - where we have real food. Not UPF abominations.

Besides, anyone who can't go without pizza, curly fries or baked beans for even one meal would be totally unsuitable for a job that takes you all over the world and often to places where they haven't even heard of pizza, curly fries and baked beans (and who have great local food instead).

• Like 7
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Here when it happens it  cracks everyone up, especially when it occurs at touchdown.

Huntsman spiders - natures practical jokers.

Couldn't you post things like these resized to 1mm x 1mm.....with a warning beforehand?

18 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

.....and the ever popular “why did you apply to us and not the competition?”

I've applied to both - I want to see (a) who makes the better offer, and (b) which Canteen is best

17 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I see you have a waste disposal problem there. The Sweeney Todd scrote and other undesirables disposal company is what you require. We can discreetly dispose of all such undesirables without leaving a trace. We can also provide the most delicious meat pies.

😈

Sounds good - but do you have the manufacturing capability?

16 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

The thing I hate about many selection processes is the fashion to be 'competency' based. To a normal person that might mean competent to perform the role but in the world of selection and recruitment it is about a range of soft skills, behaviours and pretty much anything except whether you are competent to do the job. Increasingly requiring written answers as part of the initial application.

Things like give us 500 words on a time you have been a team player, been nice to someone, solved a difficult problem, solved world hunger etc. More than once I have been encouraged to apply for roles in the civil service. Some of the roles were very interesting but when I looked at the application not only could I not be bothered to write a series of essays about a time I was nice to someone etc etc (which in fairness might indicate I wasn't right for the roles) but it was pretty obvious what the selection process was looking for and that I wasn't it. The hiring managers would say 'don't worry,  I know what I want' then admit their voice was only one of several and the recruiting procedure was what it was.

I am not questioning the importance of looking beyond narrow technical competence, clearly it is essential for a candidate to have the right attitude and be someone you feel comfortable with, but that's really what an interview is about. Usually you can establish a person's technical competence quickly and easily, the real purpose of an interview is getting a  feel for the person.

I wonder how they'd cope if you asked them to write an essay whilst you are doing theirs?  Interviews are a two-way process......

7 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I wouldn't get too cocky, Bear.

It's inadvisable to weigh yourself every day - daily fluctuations in weight can be up to about a kilo or so depending upon a number of factors (you void about 200 - 400ml of urine at a time. So that's 200g - 400g). Taking a middle value of 300mL/300g per urination, void 4 times and you've lost 1.2 Kg - which will return....

The most reliable way of weighing yourself is to weigh yourself once a week at the same time on the same day, after voiding (solids and liquids) before eating or drinking anything and preferably completely unclothed. This helps smooth out the daily fluctuations in weight.

The other thing, you'll only have reached your desired weight once you have had repeated measurements (plus/minus a tiny variation) of that weight over a period of time (I forget what that is).

Unfortunately, weight loss isn't easy (or terribly permanent), otherwise there wouldn't be a problem with obesity in many countries. It's a multi-factorial problem that calorie restriction can only partly address.

Jonah....

• Like 13