The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, pH said:

You obviously didn’t work on IBM360s 😋. Errors were reported as a number, which you then had to look up in a manual (unless it was one of your own regular mistakes, in which case you knew it by heart!).

There were several where the manual gave information of the form:

16 - Error 16 has occurred 

The fault codes on domestic appliances are similar even now. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 5

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

if you don't want to hear it

Most radios have an option to cancel traffic announcements globally rather than each time. Probably in the FM menu or a button marked TA.

• Like 5
  • Agree 11

Am I mad to consider paying nearly £300 for a map update on my Ford satnav?  The current one is about 9 years old and some new roads have appeared since then...

I could use my phone but I am averse to having to put it in a holder attached to the windscreen.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium

On domestic appliances I am an advocate of Miele. I know I have said this before but when I was at sea the washing machines used to run pretty much 24/4 and the crew weren't especially friendly to the things. Add in rolling, pitching and bouncing and a dirty electricity supply and it was as hostile an environment as you could devise. Two brands could hack it, Miele and Maytag. Every ship I sailed on ended up buying Miele or Maytag washing machines as the stuff supplied by the yards or thrifty superintendents collapsed and died after a few months. If tight fisted shipping companies (a penny saved is a penny gained) decide it is sensible to pay £££££s for a machine then it's probably a decent indicator of quality. 

On power tools, for DIY use you really don't need professional quality. The professional ranges made by the likes of Makita and Bosch are massively more expensive than their consumer ranges and do the same job. You are paying for tougher build and durability to take the stresses of industrial use but very very few domestic tools are subject to such abuse.

Something else to keep in mind is the names on many of these things doesn't mean much. In many cases they're badged third party products, in some cases another company has bought the rights to use a name for certain products.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

15 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

There is also an issue with science itself. I know I am a record with a scratch on this one, but the distinction between measured data and modelled analysis is increasingly lost (there is a fundamental difference between measuring a parameter and modelling) and a consequential issue that unless you have access to the model or enough to understand the model (particular inputs and assumptions) then it is difficult to make a decision on whether it is useful or not.

Not in my world. In applied science (engineering) nothing gets built without modelling. (Either that or it is vastly more expensive and takes much longer.)

You don't have a smartphone without enormous amounts of modelling. The models will be specialized to a particular design aspect or property and will be imperfect. Nevertheless they are essential. And there are computational tradeoffs between performance and accuracy.

There is absolutely no confusion between a modelled and an empirically measured property in the real word.

• Like 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

13 hours ago, polybear said:

There was a very sad story on the news this morning about a little 'un who'd died at school due to a food allergy. 😢

It seems common nowadays that children have food allergies, yet when Bear (and fellow ER'ers too, I suspect) was a young Cub such things were totally unheard of.

I wonder why it's so common now?

I imagine they died in early childhood with no explanation - like "died of old age" on old death certificates. Ascribed as "God's Will" etc.

CNN: A doctor died after eating at a Disney World restaurant and the staff confirmed food was allergen-free, lawsuit alleges

The deceased had an Epi-Pen, used it and still died of anaphylaxis (allegedly).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 minute ago, jjb1970 said:

I see an increasing tendency to lose the distinction and get very defensive about mathematical models if the resulting analysis is inconsistent with reality.

My point is that I don't see that. I see people fixing the models to account for whatever they missed. Ultimately engineered solutions work or they don't; and this is demonstrated during the service life of the engineered 'product' whether that is a smartphone, a bridge or the propulsion system of a warship. (Separate from airframe door plugs missing their intended fasteners.)

Companies who build the model will ultimately succeed or fail based on its utility and accuracy (which are often a tradeoff). The presumption is that the models are a simplification of reality in the first place - usually because they have to be, to be practical. Engineers usually round up and add a safety factor in design anyway.

Your 'issue' is that you live in a politicized world* of acronym-named organizations and consequential willy waving with an agenda.  It's not accurate to extrapolate it everywhere.

* Climate science and immunology come to mind. They're still a microcosm and not necessarily representative.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7

46 minutes ago, jjb1970 said:

One of the reasons Alstom had to be bailed out (one of several times) was they developed a large gas turbine and did all their performance validation using modelling and signed contracts with requirements for efficiency/fuel burn. When the first physical engine fell short the damages for failing to deliver agreed performance were huge.

Early in my career the QA department signed off on my design. They hadn't actually tested it, but just assumed all designs from the group I was in worked.

This was a new design and it failed in deployment. At that time (approaching 40 years ago) there was no modelling available for that particular failure mechanism - other than expert opinion at the design review. We discussed it but signed off thinking we were "OK" and knowing the QA lab would test it. There is suitably accurate modelling* available for the phenomenon now.

There's never an exception for field testing - unless people are taking a risky shortcut.

* A company offering such a solution as one of several flagship products is currently being acquired for $35b.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Grizz said:

Who ordered this then???????

…Fenrir Wolf has devoured the sun, the skies have turned to grey…..behold The Age of Ragnarok is upon us! ……..Flee! Flee! 

IMG_3434.jpeg.934d39f8c5909e5d8eaea6603518e873.jpeg

You're getting a tad overexcited!

Althoug New York appears to be being consumed too....

Edited by Hroth
failed link
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Job for tomorrow is to finish installing the dashcam, namely the rear camera. 

9 hours ago, TheQ said:

Lots of rats out there on the roads..

Mickey the MG has a rearview dashcam; yesterday it recorded a rat driving the car behind Mickey whilst reading the Daily Mail.....🤬

In a traffic jam it may have been, but I've seen plenty of tail-end shunts in those.

8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

The fault codes on domestic appliances are similar even now. 

It'd be much more fun if they said something like:

"HOW many times have I told you, you ?  Too much detergent, AGAIN....."

Written & verbal would be even more fun.

8 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Am I mad to consider paying nearly £300 for a map update on my Ford satnav?  The current one is about 9 years old and some new roads have appeared since then...

I could use my phone but I am averse to having to put it in a holder attached to the windscreen.

A map update, or two Deltics?  Not hard.....

• Like 18

6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

On domestic appliances I am an advocate of Miele.

Deffo. We have a Miele washing machine, induction hob and an oven (which was a replacement for a Miele all-singing, all-dancing oven that failed after I had damaged the door locking mechanism). My only gripe with Miele is how they love to load their domestic appliances with bells and whistles - presumably to cater for the profitable “Ooh, look how much I’ve spent on my kitchen” market segment.

Get their basic, entry level, models and you have a good bit of kit (or get Miele Professional - they have a small range)

…On power tools, for DIY use you really don't need professional quality. The professional ranges made by the likes of Makita and Bosch are massively more expensive than their consumer ranges and do the same job. You are paying for tougher build and durability to take the stresses of industrial use but very very few domestic tools are subject to such abuse.

I think that I have to (partly) disagree. Certainly most DIY grade power tools do not undergo the sort of heavy use that power tools get when used in a professional capacity, but there’s the issue of replacement parts and set up.

Two examples:

I have a very nice Parkside mini-drill (the older model with the removable battery pack) that has given many years of good service. Unfortunately the threads on the clamping nut (not made of the highest quality metal) that tightens around the shaft and collet have now stripped and I’m going to have to source a replacement - which may cost as much as the drill cost originally,  IF I can find one that has the right dimensions - whilst with professional equipment you get replacements for every single part of the machine.

I also recently bought an Einhell bandsaw - which got reasonable reviews, BUT  (and this is a big but) reviewers also indicated that whilst you can use it “straight from the box”, for best performance you need to both replace the blade (these inexpensive saws don’t usually come with the highest quality blades) and set it up properly (thank goodness for YouTube tutorials), whereas with much professional gear the gear can be used “straight from the box”

Something else to keep in mind is the names on many of these things doesn't mean much. In many cases they're badged third party products, in some cases another company has bought the rights to use a name for certain products.

Now this, I think, is something that should be clearly labelled (and in large print). If people buy (say) a Captain Cynical Industries Cake Safe, they are expecting a CCI GmbH quality Cake Safe, not something from 北极熊工业(中国) - Polybear Industries (China).  Rebadged/third party products should be clearly labelled - in this case < Cake Safe. Made for CCI GmbH by 北极熊工业(中国) - Polybear Industries (China).>

• Like 17
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1