The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

16 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Not a trick question. Years ago I thought many places in Yorkshire must be a bit grim but visits over the years have proved otherwise.  My only visits to the northwest apart from a weekend in Chester have been drive throughs to the Lake District. 
We are hoping to meet some friends who live in Rochdale and visit RHS Bridgewater one day. 
My definition of a nice place, somewhere with some interesting history and where the car will still have its wheels when we return to it after a pleasant lunch. 

Rochdale! It has a nice shiny shopping experience next to the Tram terminus and council offices, that's it.  But get into the hills around it and it's beautiful up on the moors.

RHS Bridgewater - looks nice from the canal, not been in myself so cannot comment.

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

49 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Just had an email from one of our banks asking us if we need help with dementia friendly banking? I wonder if this is just a coincidence or related to us removing all our investment accounts from them last week. 
Tony

I was reading somewhere that transferring pensions can result in refusal by the pension provider losing the investment - they have to be sure you are not doing something stupid and can refuse to move the money until they are satisfied with what you are doing.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 12

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Puppers needs his beauty sleep,

37 minutes ago, polybear said:

Ouch......🤣

"OK,  so the induced coma drugs definitely seem to be working -  nurse, hit him with another 6 weeks worth just to be sure!"     

image.png.82a109b9bcbc5bf5a52ea02517903cd7.png

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

the next bay around from Farm Cove and the Opera House. There are various travel choices but it was a lovely  sunny tropical morning so I caught the train to St James on the city circle line, then walked the 20 minutes  through the Royal Botanic Gardens. 

I can see why so many people went to Australia from South Essex in the past.  Apart from the Harbour bridge and the warship it looks just like the Thames Estuary…

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

3 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

I think he's actually British, and not Singaporean. He just lives in Singapore, so therefore is our Singapore correspondent. 

Or our correspondent in Singapore.

• Like 9

38 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Well personally if you were to phone me at that hour , and assuming I knew where you lived ,

you might well find your lounge floor has a layer of bricks on it and a draft coming through

the ex front window shortly after . And then be very careful when opening the post for a few days .

Captain Cynical likes the cut of your jib, young man.

Do you do freelancing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 11

2 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

Is this the right time to point out I have two sheds..............................................................................?

And there are some people who just don't take a hint.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

some place in Essex called Jaywick(

Essex is a big county, Jaywick is on a different estuary! I have been to Jaywick and I assure you it looks better in photos than real life. 
Your photos do of course look very pleasant. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Essex is a big county, Jaywick is on a different estuary! I have been to Jaywick and I assure you it looks better in photos than real life. 
Your photos do of course look very pleasant. 

And to further add to your side of the ledger, the Thames Estuary has   a very admirable lack of Bullsharks  ( the worlds most crap sharks!)

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2024/jan/29/woman-seriously-injured-after-being-attacked-by-a-shark-in-sydney-harbour

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

On pensions, I think the UK should copy what a few other countries do and replace our money defined contribution pension system with a retirement savings and investment account where you get the same tax incentive (it comes off gross pay) but you manage it and when you retire you decide what to do with it. Unless it's a defined benefit scheme or your employer drops a big dollop into it pension funds are awful value for money from what I can see. I have a couple of deferred pension funds that have literally done worse than if the money was in a savings account or government bonds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

' afternoon all from red dragon land.

Sunny, not too warm @5.1C. Brrr.

Mind agog with family history after 2hr chat over phone last night whilst keeping up with the tail end of some coloured balls being knocked into small holes on the tv. <<Yay, he won!>> Someone has certainly been doing his homework - and, tentatively, I may be linked, somewhere along the line, to dear ole Alfred who burnt the cakes but it is a long shot. 🏹

Toot on the flute coming up to quicken up some twiddly notes as it appears, going by the beat box, some are a bit lethargic! Best get the little pinkies to speed up their act!

Then it will be amassing some info from one member of the family and forwarding to the other.

Take care. Be good. Keep your crown head on.

Polly

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Years ago our hamster Zippy wasn’t eating and the vet said she needed some dental work as her incisors had curled and were growing into the roof of her mouth. So many people told us they wouldn’t have paid for dental treatment for a hamster, they would have just got a new one. What we did discover was that the tooth fairy doesn’t visit for rodent teeth. 

Good on you, how many pets are put down because they have a treatable medical condition? Or even worse allowed to die in pain?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 8
  • Agree 9