The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I'm here. Been out today visiting distant places, Wigan before you ask.

I have never been to Wigan. Is it a nice place to visit at this time of year?

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

2 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

I have never been to Wigan. Is it a nice place to visit at this time of year?

Assuming that this is not a trick question I will need to know what you think is a nice place before I can answer your query.

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Winslow Boy said:

Assuming that this is not a trick question I will need to know what you think is a nice place before I can answer your query.

One with sheds?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Feeling a lot better now especially as I'm back on the painkillers. Problem is I didn't realise how dependant on them I was. But given the present state of the NHS I won't be getting the replacement hips and knee anytime soon.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But given the present state of the NHS I won't be getting the replacement hips and knee anytime soon.

Are you already on a waiting list? If you are, you should be getting some pain management advice? 

• Agree 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

And there was me wondering if there was a shed supplier in Wigan. 

Jamie

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony_S said:

Are you already on a waiting list? If you are, you should be getting some pain management advice? 

I was hoping to go on a list but covid put the kibosh on that. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all 

• Thanks 4

2 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

(remember airport observation decks?)

I do. Every Christmas my Aunt would visit and return to Sydney. We would see her off and watch the aircraft depart from the observation deck. No jetways - passengers walked to the aircraft - back then usually a 727. She flew TAA*, refusing to "chance it with Ansett" after they ruined the dress she had packed to attend a wedding. (There was some sort of oil spill on her luggage.)

* Trans Australia Airlines (later consumed into QANTAS). 

As it began to taxi, it would turn and the jet blast and stink of burned kerosene would hit us like a wave.

I well remember the commercial linked above. I wonder how much (if anything) the 5th Dimension was paid. There's a pervy moment at around 35s but it's not quite "Hello, I'm Yvette, fly me to Paris" that was common in airline advertising at the time (early 1970s) - like this from California carrier Pacific Southwest Airlines in 1972.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Replaced quote, added commercial commentary
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As it began to taxi, it would turn and the jet blast and stink of burned kerosene would hit us like a wave.

If you ever make it to Sint Maarten in the Caribbean, you could relive that childhood experience - with bells on!

https://www.google.com/search?q=sint+maarten+airport&client=safari&sca_esv=878803a7177fd1a4&hl=en-ca&tbm=vid&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi31MnhqMiEAxXCLzQIHa2LCisQ_AUoA3oECAQQAw&biw=414&bih=714&dpr=2#fpstate=ive&ip=1&vld=cid:583cfb83,vid:GqVjD3nBSQg,st:0

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

No. Does that answer your question.

But there is!  https://shedswigan.co.uk/

🤪🤪🤪🤪

Being Wigan, perhaps they offer as much free tripe as you can consume?

(With the infamous Orwell black thumbprint in the corner of each piece...)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10