The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Reading about execution by being "blown from a cannon" reminded me of a film or tv series about the Indian Mutiny that had a scene where captured prisoners were dealt with by that method. In the film the prisoner was tied with each hand to a field gun wheel with his midrift over the muzzle of the gun. The role of the prisoner was played by an Indian actor who should perhaps have told his agent to read the contract more carefully. 

Also "blown from a cannon" is described in Flashman in the Great Game by one of my favourite authors George Macdonald Fraser. In it the eponymous hero is mistaken for a mutineer and tied to a cannon for punishment. I won't say how he survived but he describes the sheer terror of awaiting his fate: some accepted their inevitable death others fought and struggled every inch of the way. Also, there was no point dirtying a good cannon ball, a piece of stone of suitable size could be used just as effectively, after all it didn't have far to travel. On that happy note, have a good day and stay safe all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I vaguely recall the TV programme showing "execution by cannon" and the Flashman book too, though I don't recall his no doubt audacious manner of escape!  I would have thought that there would be no need for the cannon to contain anything beyond the usual charge and wadding to keep the charge in place, which combined with the muzzle velocity of the expanding gasses would be enough to do fatal damage to the victim.

• Like 8
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

Viewing all the various erudite and informed posts about methods of execution, murder, et cetera et cetera, that have been made on ER over the past few weeks, it occurred to my good chum, Captain Cynical that it is perhaps as well that the assorted members on ER are, shall we say, somewhat limited in their activities by age and infirmity.

He says that we are fortunate that the denizens of ER are too busy grumbling about parking at Tesco and wondering when they will get their next GP appointment to lay waste to entire continents and butcher entire civilian populations.

Adding that were the assembled denizens of ER both hale and hearty and able to organise themselves into some kind of coherent body. they would be a terrible and awesome sight to behold: the Mongol hordes of Genghis Khan, would be but a small convention of mild mannered chartered accountants from Cheam in comparison.

Is our dear chum, Captain Cynical indulging in a little hyperbole and exaggeration for comic effect?

Perhaps.

But ask yourself this: would you really want to see @Dave F, @Tony_S, @New Haven Neil, @Barry O or @southern42 (to name but a few) go full Beserker on us? 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

iD's unwanted will be safe - I never saw 'seacocks' on any ship I sailed on. Keeping the sea out was of more imprtance.

Is it perhaps something that is confined to Naval ships and boats? I’ve read quite a few histories describing events where, in extremis, the crew scuttled the ship by opening the seacocks before taking to the lifeboats.

However, the Wiki entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seacock) implies that seacocks are found on all ships.

Perhaps they went by another name on your ships or (says he a bit tongue-in-cheek) they didn’t want to tell you where they were…. Just in case….😁🤣😳

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Is it perhaps something that is confined to Naval ships and boats? I’ve read quite a few histories describing events where, in extremis, the crew scuttled the ship by opening the seacocks before taking to the lifeboats.

However, the Wiki entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seacock) implies that seacocks are found on all ships.

Perhaps they went by another name on your ships or (says he a bit tongue-in-cheek) they didn’t want to tell you where they were…. Just in case….😁🤣😳

'twas how the German Navy scuttled the High Seas fleet in Scapa Flow in 1919.

Glug glug glug....

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 12/02/2024 at 10:44, PhilJ W said:

This island was once British but in 1667 they done a swap with the Dutch, for Manhattan island. The Dutch thought they got the best of the deal because at the time it was the source of most of the worlds nutmeg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run_(island)

I can recommend the book "Nathaniel's Nutmeg" for a run down of this little piece of history...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nathaniels-Nutmeg-Courage-Changed-History/dp/0340696761

• Informative/Useful 13

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Hroth said:

'twas how the German Navy scuttled the High Seas fleet in Scapa Flow in 1919.

Glug glug glug....

I believe that they went a bit further than just opening valves.  I think that they removed parts of the condenser inlets then opened the valves and smashed them so that they couldn't be shut. There are a huge variety of inlets and outlets below the waterline for such thing as ballast and firefighting. 

JJB

Will probably know more.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I suppose that as far as us landlubbers are concerned, any device that controls ingress or egress of liquids on a vessel is a "seacock"!

As for the High Seas fleet, by time the Royal Navy were aware that the ships were riding rather lower in the water than might be expected, the physical conditions of the valves* would be moot, being under tens of feet of icy seawater and thus inaccessable.

* Though smashing the control wheels in the open position would be a sensible precaution.

• Like 12
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I vaguely recall the TV programme showing "execution by cannon" and the Flashman book too, though I don't recall his no doubt audacious manner of escape!  I would have thought that there would be no need for the cannon to contain anything beyond the usual charge and wadding to keep the charge in place, which combined with the muzzle velocity of the expanding gasses would be enough to do fatal damage to the victim.

There's a whole Wikipedia page on this. Blank charges or grapeshot were used.  There were occasions when spectators were hit by grape.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Mmmmmmmm Pancakes!!!

The only mention so far of Shrove Tuesday | Fat Tuesday | Mardi Gras | Carnivale etc, also "Galentine's Day" (for single besties or those who only feel like they are single*) given that Ash Wednesday and The Feast of the (allegedly) martyred 3rd century Roman** Valentinus are coincident this year.

* "Football widowhood" in the US now technically being over (since yesterday) until the Fall.

** Or perhaps Terni

Happily it is my routine to avoid morning television and can avoid most of the suggestions on how to mark either day.

I do think there is something to be said of the reminder that we are stardust (our constituent elements forged in some nuclear stellar smelter) - that variation would be a useful improvement on the liturgical admonition for those who commemorate that tomorrow.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2